U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

To be fair nobody saw Brexit coming especially in the week before.  

I think its down to people getting at the side or person types they dont like rather than anything else.

You know mate, I was actually thinking of editing my post to put that! 

Nothing shocks me these days but brexit did, trump being president would shock me even more

• Like 1

I'm not convinced the polls are much to go on purely because, as with Brexit, admitting voting for Trump or anything right wing for many is most likely still seen as taboo.

I'd be gutted if I was American though and these two were the 'best' candidates they could find. I'd be looking at my ballot paper and thinking.

"Trump, bit of a bellend really isn't he. I'll vote for Clinton, no, wait, she's an absolute fruit cake as well".

8 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'm not convinced the polls are much to go on purely because, as with Brexit, admitting voting for Trump or anything right wing for many is most likely still seen as taboo.

If this were true, you would expect to see a gap between polls conducted using live interviewers and polls conducted online or by an automated voice ('robocalls'), yet no such gap exists. 

It doesn't ring true, either - do Trump's supporters really seem the type to be easily shamed? And I don't think 'voting for right wing things' can be considered taboo in the country that gave the world Rush Limbaugh, Breitbart.com or, well, Donald Trump. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If this were true, you would expect to see a gap between polls conducted using live interviewers and polls conducted online or by an automated voice ('robocalls'), yet no such gap exists. 

It doesn't ring true, either - do Trump's supporters really seem the type to be easily shamed? And I don't think 'voting for right wing things' can be considered taboo in the country that gave the world Rush Limbaugh, Breitbart.com or, well, Donald Trump. 

Possibly not 'all in' Trump supporters, no. Potential fence sitters? Yes.

I've never spoken in this thread and whilst I understand (traditional) ideologies and the political spectrum itself, I'd consider myself detached / disillusioned by politics. So I'll keep my basic opinion brief. As an outsider, looking in, I find it ludicrous and almost scary that in a nation that size, these two are the best two to be elected to vote for to effectively lead the Western world. Almost that in terms of true worthy candidates, they're excluded (trampled on) by bigger powers with a relentless power or almost dynasty behind them to reach the top, mini-House Of Cards style. 

Again, as an outsider, part of me also thinks that despite their differences, standings and statements, that once in they could be much the same as each other. A bit random, but almost like if I went to buy a laptop and could only choose to buy from Currys or PC World, at the end of the day they're both the same company anyway. 

this worthless, uneducated, nonsense above is just my opinion and why I'll make this one comment in this thread. I am interested and watching the news media on this election but I have to almost pinch myself sometimes reading the scandals on both sides leading up to this vote. Good luck America, meant genuinely, not sarcastically. 

• Like 3

I'd say the polls for this election will be far more accurate than the polls for the referendum. Polling in past presidential elections has been fairly accurate most of the time and of course with the referendum there wasn't much past data and precedent to work on.

8 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Possibly not 'all in' Trump supporters, no. Potential fence sitters? Yes.

Consider me deeply unconvinced. In the primaries, Trump underperformed his polling more than he overperformed it, suggesting that there was no army of 'shy' fans waiting in the wings then. 

Of course, there will be people who you could consider 'shy Trump supporters'. America is a big country, you can find anything if you look hard enough. But you're talking about a lot of people to be statistically significant, and more than that, a lot more than 'shy Clinton supporters' who must also exist to some degree or other as well. The Pew Research Center found in the summer that 8% of Clinton supporters said they were ashamed to say publicly that they supported her; only 7% of Trump supporters said the same about him. 

• Like 2

HanoiVillan's got a point. People have made comparisons to shy Conservative voters here but I think Trump voters are probably more comparable to UKIP voters. Generally very out and proud and whose support can sometimes be a bit inflated.

What makes me laugh is when people try and argue that he's going to win because he's got more likes on Twitter or because more people are tweeting about him or whatever.

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Can't wait for Trump to win 52 % to 48% so we can all say he doesn't have a mandate and we should hold the election again as it wasn't the result 48% of us wanted ...

Perhaps they could have another vote as people might not have understood the question...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

What surprised me about Hillary's top-twenty contributors was not the pro-choice lobby group at number 1 or the financial institutes, it was the universities.

I knew they were businesses but I hadn't grasped how rich they are or how politically active they are.

They're not contributions by the universities, they're contributions by the employees of those universities.

It's also worth stating that those numbers are total individal contributions from 1999 to 2016, not just since launching her presidential campaign.

Edited by Davkaus

Â