U.S. Politics

maqroll

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Really?

From here it looks like he's the second worst Presidential candidate in history.

You don't need to look past the last two Republican president's to find two worse candidates, never mind the people they ran against. Tulsi Gabbard was worse too from the democratic field for 2020. I suppose it depends a little bit on your definition of worse. Please note this does leave every other candidate in the race as better than Biden and I wish he wasn't the choice, but there you go.

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Really?

From here it looks like he's the second worst Presidential candidate in history.

Worse than the likes of George Wallace, Strom Thurmond and Richard Nixon?

And that's before you even get to some of the dregs that the 19th Century produced. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

IMO Trump lucked onto a winning strategy against Clinton by doing what he always does and projecting his own worst features and actions onto his opponent. Clinton was a crook, Mexicans were rapists, the swamp was corrupt. It's all basically him.

It is incredible how effective this technique actually is. His attack lines on Biden are essentially the key points that Biden could have been using on him.

Things like the accusation of mental decline, of cosying up to China, a questionable history on relations with black people, accusations of being gropy with women etc etc. 

All the main attack lines on Biden are things that Trump has clearly been guilty of, however Trump gets in first and turns them to his advantage. 

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Worse than the likes of George Wallace, Strom Thurmond and Richard Nixon? 

That's a bit harsh on Nixon - other than being a massive crook, he was one of the better US Presidents of the 20th century.

I think it's obvious that any description that starts "other than being a massive crook" is open to question, but I still think it's harsh on him.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's a bit harsh on Nixon - other than being a massive crook, he was one of the better US Presidents of the 20th century.

I think it's obvious that any description that starts "other than being a massive crook" is open to question, but I still think it's harsh on him.

Other than being a genocidal mass murdering maniac, Hitler wasn’t a bad chap really.......no sorry.....it doesn’t work 😉

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He even tried to get them to use the metric system.

You don't need to look past the last two Republican president's to find two worse candidates, never mind the people they ran against. Tulsi Gabbard was worse too from the democratic field for 2020. I suppose it depends a little bit on your definition of worse. Please note this does leave every other candidate in the race as better than Biden and I wish he wasn't the choice, but there you go.

Of all the people in the dem side of the fence, you decide to use Gabbard as an example. Not selling out is a bad thing, who knew!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Can’t decide if that’s serious?

Nixon had a secret bombing campaign in Cambodia having won an election on a pledge of de escalating a war.

He was a mass murdering crook. 

• Like 1

Tulsi Gabbard was worse too from the democratic field for 2020. I suppose it depends a little bit on your definition of worse.

Does it ever. I thought she was much, much better than Biden.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He was a mass murdering crook. 

Like every US President since the second world war in fairness.

But, he established the EPA, ended the draft, put money into healthcare (and almost got a version of Obamacare passed), reduced the deficit and did some reasonable stuff on equality - he was quite progressive for his time. 

I'd have him over Reagan or either Bush - but yes, he was a massive crook.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But, he established the EPA, ended the draft, put money into healthcare (and almost got a version of Obamacare passed), reduced the deficit and did some reasonable stuff on equality - he was quite progressive for his time. 

Nah, I’m not enthused by Biden but I can’t accept he’s worse than Nixon.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely. 

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Of all the people in the dem side of the fence, you decide to use Gabbard as an example. Not selling out is a bad thing, who knew!

She would be a perfectly respectable Republican party candidate I suppose. IMO she was standing for the wrong party. 

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

She would be a perfectly respectable Republican party candidate I suppose. IMO she was standing for the wrong party. 

Republican?!?

She was running a very left leaning campaign, pretty similar to Sanders, just like last time around (where they ended up being running mates).

I would suggest paying less attention to establishment media campaigns to impugn the reputation of anyone who does not bend the knee to our corporate overlords. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villakram said:

Republican?!?

She was running a very left leaning campaign, pretty similar to Sanders, just like last time around (where they ended up being running mates).

I would suggest paying less attention to establishment media campaigns to impugn the reputation of anyone who does not bend the knee to our corporate overlords. 

I pay attention just fine, she lost me when she decided not to vote to impeach Trump. But tbh number of candidates worse than Biden I don't really care about. They are not the nominee, Biden is and it seems like the consensus is that he is not a good choice.

53 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

In what group of people is this the consensus?

Around here mostly, I've not seen anyone speak up for him. Although saying that I did just see his 2 trillion climate plan announced yesterday which I have to admit that I like. It was my biggest worry that Biden would only tinker around the edges of climate change, but I have to admit what he is promising is significant. I'd still much prefer Bernie, or Warren, but this is a step in the right direction.

Â