U.S. Politics

maqroll

Yeah, but that was the last election. Now he's all cancel cancel culture and save our Confederate statues. He's not connecting in the same way any more. It will take a monumental change in circumstance or an equivalent effort to cheat the result for him to win this time.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Make America Great Again.

Build That wall.

Lock Her Up.

Arians Uber Alles.

All those messages are fairly shit, but there’s a definite theme and a definite audience that knows what he means. Whilst it’s all deniable because he’s a bit dumbass.

I don't disagree (or at least, I see what you're saying), but what does that have to do with the word 'generality'?

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't disagree (or at least, I see what you're saying), but what does that have to do with the word 'generality'?

Ah, that bit you have to take in the context of the guy saying ‘generality’, he often has a more flowing poetic use of language than some others on here.

I personally took it as meaning, for all his ability to be an anus, a douche and a thoroughly horrible person that persistently gives the impression of being as thick as shit (his general character, his generality), he actually knows how to drive home a simple message that taps in to the prejudices of other less enlightened less woke folk. 

But I’m speaking for others, I could be waaaaaaaaay off.

• Thanks 1

A fairly mind-blowing fact: there are 5 sitting US senators who were born before Buddy Holly (Holly would be 83 if he were alive today). They are:

• Dianne Feinstein - 87
  • Chuck Grassley - 86
  • Richard Shelby - 86
  • Jim Inhofe - 85
  • Pat Roberts - 84

Dianne Feinstein's term does not end for four more years; she will be 91. Jim Inhofe is standing for re-election for a six-year term. He would (will, if he survives, because he won't lose) be 92 when he leaves office.

• Like 4

On 11/07/2020 at 23:12, HanoiVillan said:

I'm struggling to make this sentence make sense to me tbh.

I think @chrisp65 has explained myself better than I could myself!

On 12/07/2020 at 00:16, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think he means coherent drivel tbf

Trump does talk a fair bit of non-sense, but it's not that we don't know what he means to express.

On 12/07/2020 at 00:48, chrisp65 said:

Make America Great Again.

Build That wall.

Lock Her Up.

Arians Uber Alles.

All those messages are fairly shit, but there’s a definite theme and a definite audience that knows what he means. Whilst it’s all deniable because he’s a bit dumbass.

Thanking you! 

• Fighting for freedom. 
  • War on terror.
  • The land of the free, home of the brave.

These are generalities, vague, without specificity, and without supporting evidence to substantiate meaning.

On 12/07/2020 at 04:27, chrisp65 said:

Ah, that bit you have to take in the context of the guy saying ‘generality’, he often has a more flowing poetic use of language than some others on here.

I personally took it as meaning, for all his ability to be an anus, a douche and a thoroughly horrible person that persistently gives the impression of being as thick as shit (his general character, his generality), he actually knows how to drive home a simple message that taps in to the prejudices of other less enlightened less woke folk. 

But I’m speaking for others, I could be waaaaaaaaay off.

You read me like a book. And that is without doubt one of the kindest and well received compliments you could have offered me. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Trump does talk a fair bit of non-sense, but it's not that we don't know what he means to express.

Maybe it's just my grasp of English. Half the time I see him publically speaking I don't get what he's trying to convey, nor do I feel he knows where he's going with his train of thought. 

He's been consistently a shit human being though, and that's been clear from day one, so I guess you have a point here. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Maybe it's just my grasp of English. Half the time I see him publically speaking I don't get what he's trying to convey, nor do I feel he knows where he's going with his train of thought. 

He's been consistently a shit human being though, and that's been clear from day one, so I guess you have a point here. 

At a guess, it's less your grasp of English, and more your seeking authenticity, genuineness and sincerity from a man who is meant to represent, in this representative democracy.

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

2016 was a perfect storm for him. A terrible democrat candidate in Clinton, a corrupt system littered with corporate cash and he lucked upon a slogan or two.

I'm not sure he's found a slogan that sticks for this year yet, but both of the first two conditions in that storm are worse now than they were when he was elected.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure he's found a slogan that sticks for this year yet, but both of the first two conditions in that storm are worse now than they were when he was elected.

I think, rightly or wrongly, that Biden is a more popular, or less unpopular, candidate than Clinton was. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Biden is a bad candidate, I don't think he is worse than Clinton though. Hilary gave people a sort of knee jerk shiver of dislike that Burden doesn't illicit. Biden is also running a smarter campaign by just staying out of the way and letting Trump implode. 

The corruption being worse now is good for an outsider, not for the incumbent. It's Trump's corruption now. 

5 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I think, rightly or wrongly, that Biden is a more popular, or less unpopular, candidate than Clinton was. 

Really?

From here it looks like he's the second worst Presidential candidate in history.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Really?

From here it looks like he's the second worst Presidential candidate in history.

For some reason, Hilary Clinton is intensely disliked by a lot of Americans. Joe Biden, as unformidable a candidate as he is, is far less polarizing and palatable to many swing voters.

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Really?

Yes, I think they're right about this. There just seem to be quite a few Republicans who don't really fear a Biden presidency - possibly not without reason. Also can't ignore that he's a dusty old white guy, much like many of them, and might be less of a symbolic affront than an Obama, Harris or Warren would be.

Â