U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Warren was a good candidate, competent and principled, just not very exciting and a woman so she was brushed aside. 

She’s in the running for Biden’s VP pick though. 

Don't think it's likely. Her state has a Republican governor who would appoint her replacement until a special election some time next year. It will be hard enough for Dems to take the Senate in the first place without giving themselves a one-seat handicap.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Around here mostly, I've not seen anyone speak up for him. 

Presumably though the place where he does need to be seen as a good choice is amongst voters in the USA, and the data up to now suggests that he is a good choice if the aim is to win the election?

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Don't think it's likely. Her state has a Republican governor who would appoint her replacement until a special election some time next year. It will be hard enough for Dems to take the Senate in the first place without giving themselves a one-seat handicap.

... and don't forget that she was a registered Republican when Gingrich was running things in the 90s (changing course as a young and impressionable 47yr old). Of course Biden was doing a victory lap after the 1994 crime bill, well and plotting how to screw over the population for his banking buddies around this time.

15 minutes ago, villakram said:

... and don't forget that she was a registered Republican when Gingrich was running things in the 90s (changing course as a young and impressionable 47yr old). Of course Biden was doing a victory lap after the 1994 crime bill, well and plotting how to screw over the population for his banking buddies around this time.

Don't get me wrong, I find it kind of strange that Warren underwent such a big conversion late in life, but I'm not going to complain about people being won over to more left-leaning politics. Of course she also went into national politics as a result of opposing the bankruptcy bill that Biden championed, so that might be another reason why he might not want her around (though he also claims to have undergone a somewhat unconvincing late-in-life change of heart on that topic).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I believe he's already announced or at least intimated that it will be a woman of color.

Really slim pickings there though. Kamala was the obvious choice, but she has to be done given her behavior against minorities when Cali AG. I don't see another strong candidate of color, though it has to be acknowledged that the choice of VP is way down the list of priorities come election time for all but a small fraction of voters.

It would be hilarious if Joe went and picked Hillary however!

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Really slim pickings there though. Kamala was the obvious choice, but she has to be done given her behavior against minorities when Cali AG. I don't see another strong candidate of color, though it has to be acknowledged that the choice of VP is way down the list of priorities come election time for all but a small fraction of voters.

It would be hilarious if Joe went and picked Hillary however!

I agree - Kamala's record is very spotty as AG. There's some pretty heinous stuff once you dig around.

I think Tammy Duckworth might be interesting as she has her army service her on record. 1st woman to give birth while a senator (female vote) and obviously is a double amputee due to being shot down in Iraq. I'm not sure how the MAGA's would argue that she wasn't a "True Patriot."

My hope would be Stacey Abrams after Kemp stole the Governorship from her. She does have a bit of financial stuff in her background though.

11 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree - Kamala's record is very spotty as AG. There's some pretty heinous stuff once you dig around.

I think Tammy Duckworth might be interesting as she has her army service her on record. 1st woman to give birth while a senator (female vote) and obviously is a double amputee due to being shot down in Iraq. I'm not sure how the MAGA's would argue that she wasn't a "True Patriot."

My hope would be Stacey Abrams after Kemp stole the Governorship from her. She does have a bit of financial stuff in her background though.

Tucker Carlson has been laying the groundwork for the narrative that will help them rationalize that argument.   I don't think anyone but those already firmly in Trump's camp will buy it, though.

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Trump would love her tax "work". I am not sure about her, not being able to win a congressional seat or governor seat from her state is a little shakey.

Biden really should have left things a little more open, events are always liable to dictate things even if they normally would be much less epochal than covid19.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Trump would love her tax "work". I am not sure about her, not being able to win a congressional seat or governor seat from her state is a little shakey.

Biden really should have left things a little more open, events are always liable to dictate things even if they normally would be much less epochal than covid19.

Her Governor seat was stolen. Voter suppression and shenanigans in Georgia is beyond the pale - you must admit that ?

Biden - well, I'm just hoping he doesn't expire by the end of each of his speeches to be quite honest. It's painful to watch. If he makes it to November I would be surprised.

Serious question. If Joe pops his clogs before the election, what do the Dems do? Their conference will be online. Who do the delegates vote for as a candidate and what sort of shape would that campaign be in?

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Her Governor seat was stolen. Voter suppression and shenanigans in Georgia is beyond the pale - you must admit that ?

Biden - well, I'm just hoping he doesn't expire by the end of each of his speeches to be quite honest. It's painful to watch. If he makes it to November I would be surprised.

Serious question. If Joe pops his clogs before the election, what do the Dems do? Their conference will be online. Who do the delegates vote for as a candidate and what sort of shape would that campaign be in?

I asked this question up thread and apparently Sanders gets it by default

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Perhaps it WAS those fluorescent lights all along?!

Maybe if he's not doing so well in the polls he's finally started listening to those snowflake parasitic image consultants. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

I asked this question up thread and apparently Sanders gets it by default

Both parties are legendary for their convention shenanigans. Super delegates exist for a reason and even though Sanders did get some reforms implemented(??) after 2016, I would be astonished if he didn't have to go to war during the convention to be selected.

Clinton, Bloomberg and surely some other left field option... i.e., M. Obama?

Just now, villakram said:

Both parties are legendary for their convention shenanigans. Super delegates exist for a reason and even though Sanders did get some reforms implemented(??) after 2016, I would be astonished if he didn't have to go to war during the convention to be selected.

Clinton, Bloomberg and surely some other left field option... i.e., M. Obama?

Well that was my initial thinking tbh 

• Like 1

Trump administration preparing executive order preventing undocumented migrants from being counted in the census

I'm not sure they've realised what a census is and its purpose.

It's actually quite laughable

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Trump administration preparing executive order preventing undocumented migrants from being counted in the census

I'm not sure they've realised what a census is and its purpose.

It's actually quite laughable

It’s just another publicity stunt for his base. They will be clapping like seals. 

• Like 1

Â