U.S. Politics

maqroll

Americans like their grandad figures. The national patriarch.

Hell, at the moment they've got the whole shebang. Old, senile, racist letch who would, given the opportunity, **** everything in sight, including his own family.

Hence why he's going to get another term. Who doesn't like dirty old grandad running the country?

• Haha 1

Trump could shoot a baby and get away with it. What he did was illegal and extraordinary and he seems to have just gotten away with it. 
That said, the Democrats must be stupid thinking Sanders, Buttigieg or Biden will beat him. There HAS to be someone younger and more charismatic to get behind?

• Like 1

He's only got away with it due to hyper-partisanship, where the parties are acting in their own interests rather than to any concept of morality, or good faith, or justice.

Then again this is a country whose laws include, apparently credibly, an argument that it's not possible for the President to break the law, so there we are.

The "Anonymous" Trump cabinet member who the New York Times published an op-ed for and who has a book coming out this summer has said that fellow cabinet officials had debated removing Trump early on, using the 25th Amendment mechanism. They didn't, obviously, and how they must wish they did now. Trump beat them back, he beat the Mueller Report back, and now he's beat Impeachment. My blood runs cold thinking about another four years of Trump. I used to think he'd be gone by November 2020 at the latest. Now I'm not so sure, especially since McConnell refused to even have a vote on six separate election security bills that were brought to the senate floor, essentially inviting more Russian interference. 

I know I'm prone to hyperbole in this thread from time to time, but I think the USA has it's last chance to save itself in November. If Trump wins it's over. 4 more years of right wing judges, environment destroying policies, ramped up racist policies, more giveaways to billionaires and more war on poor people. 

Four more years of foreign policy madness, trade madness, and the debasement of civility. I'm trying not to fall into despair yet. 

14 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Trump could shoot a baby and get away with it. What he did was illegal and extraordinary and he seems to have just gotten away with it. 
That said, the Democrats must be stupid thinking Sanders, Buttigieg or Biden will beat him. There HAS to be someone younger and more charismatic to get behind?

Lizzo

Pete Buttigieg is one of the most odious people in politics right now, and there's some fierce competition there.

He's that hall monitor ass kid who rats on all his classmates and runs for class president every year giving bullshit speeches about democracy, and losing every time.

15 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

As Fran Lebowitz said there are more people that live in my building than the Indiana town he was mayor of.

Sanders beat him by almost as many votes he got in total when he became mayor.

• Like 1

I like Pete. He is pretty neutral and speaks very concisely. He seems to have a plan, and knows how he will execute it. I also really like Bernie, and would love to see some of his ideas actually implemented. I think he could do a lot for the country, but the reason I am leaning towards Pete is I think republicans are more likely to work with him vs Bernie. I know that's a bad way to choose a president, but if you elect the guy that so many people on the other side hate with a passion, it will likely just cause problems in the long run. A lot of republicans I speak with have no qualms with Pete and think he is reasonable. 

Edited by Czechlad

15 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I like Pete. He is pretty neutral and speaks very concisely. He seems to have a plan, and knows how he will execute it. I also really like Bernie, and would love to see some of his ideas actually implemented. I think he could do a lot for the country, but the reason I am leaning towards Pete is I think republicans are more likely to work with him vs Bernie. I know that's a bad way to choose a president, but if you elect the guy that so many people on the other side hate with a passion, it will likely just cause problems in the long run. A lot of republicans I speak with have no qualms with Pete and think he is reasonable. 

I think you are being quite optimistic if you think bipartisanship is possible with this version of the Republican party. There is more chance of them impeaching the democratic nomination than there is of them voting the same way on anything. The best democratic candidates are the ones that have a plan to deal with a republican party happy use every trick to block, slow down and corrupt every single piece of legislation brought forward.  Biden is pretty much the only democratic candidate that seems to think the republicans will become more compliant post Trump but for me it makes me wonder if he forgot what happened to Merrick Garland.

25 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Biden is pretty much the only democratic candidate that seems to think the republicans will become more compliant post Trump but for me it makes me wonder if he forgot what happened to Merrick Garland.

I'm not the first person to say this, but the risk for liberals or lefties is not that president Biden wouldn't be able to persuade Republicans to work with him, but that he would. His voting record is absolutely full of horrific bipartisan votes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not the first person to say this, but the risk for liberals or lefties is not that president Biden wouldn't be able to persuade Republicans to work with him, but that he would. His voting record is absolutely full of horrific bipartisan votes.

Agreed, Biden is a poor choice. I'm hoping the results from Iowa are showing that the voting public have come to that conclusion too.

• Like 1

The US Presidential election essentially comes down to swing voters in specific states. (Also it helps when the Dems have a candidate who African Americans will go out and vote for.)

In Michigan, Pennsylvania & Wisconsin famously a total of 80,000 people divided Trump & Clinton and ultimately gave Don those 3 states. Practically speaking are those swing voters in those midwest states going to vote for Bernie's policies? They are pretty radical for the US even if they don't sound that strange to Europeans (or any one who isn't a greedy selfish barsteward.)  Bernie has a chance in Florida but what about Ohio?

Free healthcare for all sounds great but Trump and the GOP will just keep hammering the talking point that he's going to take your healthcare away from you.

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Pete is another on the privatize healthcare bandwagon, and worked on this stuff when a former Kinsey guy.

Kinsey is one of those places that should immediately disqualify him from any public service role, similar to how Romney's history in leveraged buyout land should have. Another "Democrat" in Republican clothing, just like converted at 47yrs old Ms. Warren. 

• Like 1

Trump's now sacked 2 witnesses, illegally, but also the brother of one of the witnesses.

Watch just how abusive he is now he knows the law just doesn't apply to him. The senate essentially decided to just make him the de facto king of America. He'll do what he wants

Â