U.S. Politics

maqroll

7 hours ago, peterms said:

So these are ordinary ("regular") people in the US?

Without taking the time to look up details, based on what I recall from checking out data for household income previously for more recent years:

The married couple with children would be part of the 1%.

The single parent would be top 5%, as would probably the single person.

The retired couple would probably not quite make top 5% but certainly in top 10%.

So no, these are not ordinary people.  Among the subset of Wall Street Journal subscribers they might come close, however.   There was a well publicized thing a few years ago where a Republican congressman who was easily top 5% and probably close to 1% referred to himself as middle class.  There are a lot of "comfortable" people who are really out of touch with how most folk live.

President Donald Trump used a Thanksgiving Day call to troops deployed overseas to pat himself on the back, and air a range of his favourite grievances.

Asked what he was thankful for this year, Trump cited his “great family” … as well as himself. “I made a tremendous difference in this country,” he said. “This country is so much stronger now than it was when I took office and you wouldn’t believe it and when you see it, we’ve gotten so much stronger people don’t even believe it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/23/i-made-a-tremendous-difference-trump-heaps-thanksgiving-praise-on-himself

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

So Remembrance Day was about his hair and Thanksgiving is about how great he is and how great his family is.  Last Christmas America celebrated how Trump made it OK to say happy Christmas again, would anyone here bet against Trump making a statement this Christmas that makes it all about him?  His new years wish will be another 4 years of him as POTUS and I'd put money on that one.

3 minutes ago, Straggler said:

So Remembrance Day was about his hair and Thanksgiving is about how great he is and how great his family is.  Last Christmas America celebrated how Trump made it OK to say happy Christmas again, would anyone here bet against Trump making a statement this Christmas that makes it all about him?  His new years wish will be another 4 years of him as POTUS and I'd put money on that one.

I wouldn't put money on it; I don't think it's out of the question by any means, or even that unlikely, but I certainly wouldn't be gambling on it. 

20 hours ago, peterms said:

Calling US residents.  Presumably there's more to this than meets the eye?  Because it looks absolutely barking, and depraved.  Or is it part of the alignment with Saudi?

This is a technical federal vs states law issue, that will be appealed and likely all the way to the supreme court. I expect those vulnerable states, will have their legislatures get to codifying things pronto. Unsurprisingly, Michigan was one of the very states with pencils in their nostrils on this one.

These mediaval butchers have only gotten off on a technicality for now.

O say, can you see, by the dawn’s early light...

1125-caravan-tear-gas-reuters-4.jpg

American border officers have thrown gas canisters at dozens of people – including women and children – who tried to cross the Mexico-US frontier between Tijuana and San Diego. Children were screaming and coughing in the mayhem after teargas was fired following an attempt by a few migrants to breach a fence

https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2018/nov/26/us-officers-fire-tear-gas-at-migrant-caravan-video

There is a video in the link as well.

Â