U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

His election campaign took $30m from the gun lobby - he'll be putting controls on absolutely nothing.

Yeah someone mentioned that to me earlier. The thing is people will demonise trump alone for this, but all presidents before and after him will do the same. Surely it's not as simple as trump saying yes we will change gun laws. I imagine a lot of people behind the scenes will have a big say about that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coda said:

This Trump fella has the beginnings of dementia or similar condition. Something ain't right.

20+ experts have got together and published a book on the issue recently. The dangerous case of Donald Trump. My wife works in the mental health field and one of the top mental health experts in Birmingham has been telling her from the moment he started giving speeches and preparing to run for office that there are signs of mental illness. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You honestly believe dementia or Alzheimer's is setting in, or is it just a piss  take.

Just watch him speak even 3/4 years ago. It's clear his mental state has seriously declined in recent years. He sounds and acts like a complete toddler now. He actually used to sound somewhat coherent and level headed not too long ago.

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You honestly believe dementia or Alzheimer's is setting in, or is it just a piss  take.

It might just be cognitive decline. Reagan had Alzheimer's while in office. I watched a video on Youtube :lol: comparing the decline in Reagan's vocab to Trump's. If Trump gets another term he's gonna be like Baron Harkonnen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Just watch him speak even 3/4 years ago. It's clear his mental state has seriously declined in recent years. He sounds and acts like a complete toddler now. He actually used to sound somewhat coherent and level headed not too long ago.

Well he's president of the most powerful country in the world now. Pressure or strain maybe. Either way let's hope it's not anything like dementia or Alzheimer's, as surely even his most diehard critics wouldn't want that...would they?

3 minutes ago, coda said:

It might just be cognitive decline. Reagan had Alzheimer's while in office. I watched a video on Youtube :lol: comparing the decline in Reagan's vocab to Trump's. If Trump gets another term he's gonna be like Baron Harkonnen. 

Compare Harkonnen's political machinations to some of the genius things Trump has said and done :lol: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well he's president of the most powerful country in the world now. Pressure or strain maybe. Either way let's hope it's not anything like dementia or Alzheimer's, as surely even his most diehard critics wouldn't want that...would they?

It was the same on the campaign.

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Protesting on a day of mourning is disgraceful. That's what some NFL players have done. 

Oh ruge ffs, stop it man and engage your **** brain for once.

Tom Petty died yesterday so can the Catalonians just put their issues to one side for a bit. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Think how different things would be if the democratic party hadn't **** over Sanders in favour of Clinton. 

Sanders problem, not discounting DNC shenanigans, I thought was he was popular with youth and educated liberal white people and that's it. Did well in places like Washington state and poorly in the South 

In more run of the mill US political news, let's have a gawk at staunch pro-life in public Republican House of Representatives member Tim Murphy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rep-tim-murphy-popular-with-pro-life-movement-urged-abortion-in-affair-texts-suggest/ar-AAsRPp6?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

""And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options," Shannon Edwards, a forensic psychologist in Pittsburgh with whom the congressman admitted last month to having a relationship, wrote to Mr. Murphy on Jan. 25, in the midst of an unfounded pregnancy scare."

It's like a warm pair of slippers with all the shite happening lately...

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I get why they are protesting and I'm all for gun laws to be changed and to stop police brutality. The mass killing in vegas is a time the country should show solidarity for a day or two. Obviously your solidarity means not standing  to the national anthem and carry on the protest. Over the years whenever a tragedy has hit the states it's usually iconic to see everyone arm in arm and singing the national anthem with the Stars and Stripes flying proudly. I guess times are changing. 

Solidarity against what though?

What have the following countries got in common?

Botswana, Burundi, Egypt, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, China, India, Iraq, Japan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and the United States.

Spoiler

On Friday they voted against a U.N. ban on the death penalty for homosexuality.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I get why they are protesting and I'm all for gun laws to be changed and to stop police brutality. The mass killing in vegas is a time the country should show solidarity for a day or two..... Over the years whenever a tragedy has hit the states it's usually iconic to see everyone arm in arm and singing the national anthem with the Stars and Stripes flying proudly. I guess times are changing. 

I think you've got a point, or at least I understand the point, I think, Ruge. Yet on the other hand (although not on the horrific scale of the Vegas slaughter, there are mass shooting incidents basically every day (9 every 10 days on average), and so there'd basically be  no opportunity to protesting against anything if "a period of solidarity" was required after each shooting incident.

The other comment that people have made is that generally speaking, there are lots of people (I don't mean you) who are angrier about people protesting about black folk being racially victimised than there are people angry about a lunatic gun maniac killing and injuring hundreds of people.

I've also seen that this National Flag ceremony at the NFL football games thing only started a few years ago (2009) specifically at the request of the then Gov't to act as a recruiting tool for the US military who were short of numbers - it's not like it's a long-standing tradition being subverted. The authorities were happy to use the flag to recruit soldiers, marines and sailors etc. (which is fair enough, I suppose) but then it's hard to complain that people being treated horribly unfairly to say the least, shouldn't peacefully and respectfully kneel down during the recruiting tool ceremony to highlight the injustice.

But along there lines you've mentioned that the US seems to go big on the flag, if it (rightly or wrongly) causes a large majority of people to be almost against the people protesting about discrimination, then it's counter productive - like so much that seems to go on over there.

• Like 1

Â