U.S. Politics

maqroll

Good to see the president take a break from his busy golf weekend to lay in to the Mayor of puerto rico, while tens of thousands are still at risk with no food or water.

They're lazy layabouts who want everything done for them. If they want Trump's sympathy, they should probably have tried being born white.

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Good to see the president take a break from his busy golf weekend to lay in to the Mayor of puerto rico, while tens of thousands are still at risk with no food or water.

They're lazy layabouts who want everything done for them. If they want Trump's sympathy, they should probably have tried being born white.

That was his reaction to the above plea, what kind of world leader does that.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

His response to this disaster is the most disgraceful thing he has done in his presidency so far. 

Until next week, or the week after or sometime soon at least...

I'm fairly confident we aren't at the nadir yet

• Like 1

It's actually baffling how it gets worse literally every week. Just when you think he has hit rock bottom as a president and as a human being he manages to find an even lower bottom. And the worst of it is there's a good 20-30% of the country who never bat an eyelid at it. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It's actually baffling how it gets worse literally every week. Just when you think he has hit rock bottom as a president and as a human being he manages to find an even lower bottom. And the worst of it is there's a good 20-30% of the country who never bat an eyelid at it. 

Mr Trump has a term for people like you.

Well isn't this nice?

High School Students Kicked Off Football Team After Protesting National Anthem

By JACEY FORTINOCT. 2, 2017

Photo
02xp-highschool-jumbo.jpg

Cedric Ingram-Lewis, left, and Larry McCullough were kicked off their football team on Friday after they demonstrated during the national anthem in protest of racial inequality. CreditCedric Ingram-Lewis

Two high school students in Texas were kicked off their football team on Friday night after they demonstrated during the national anthem to protest racial inequality.

One student, Cedric Ingram-Lewis, 16, raised a fist in the air while the anthem played. The other, Larry McCullough, 18, got down on one knee. In response, their coach told them to hand over their uniforms, The Houston Chronicle reported.

“We had to get our message across: End racial injustice and the oppression of black people,” Mr. Ingram-Lewis said in a phone interview on Sunday.

The coach, Ronnie Mitchem, is the pastor at Victory and Praise Worship Center in Crosby, Tex., and a Marine Corps veteran. In a phone interview on Sunday, he said the teenagers’ demonstration was offensive to people who served in the military.

“I’ve been very patriotic my whole life,” he said. “I believe everybody has a right to protest, and I let those guys do their protests. But the rule was, if you did this protest, you wouldn’t be on the team.”

The two teenagers, who are cousins, decided to demonstrate even though Mr. Mitchem had warned players the day before against protesting, Mr. Ingram-Lewis said. After the anthem, Mr. Mitchem told them to return their uniforms, which they did.

Last year, the N.F.L. quarterback Colin Kaepernick was playing for the San Francisco 49ers when he began kneeling during the anthem to protest racial inequality, attracting national attention. He is now a free agent.

At a political rally in Alabama on Sept. 22, President Trump denounced professional athletes who did not stand during the playing of the anthem. He added that they should be fired and that any team owner who followed his advice would become “the most popular person in the country” for a week.

If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect....

...our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!

His comments are part of what prompted widespread demonstrations on Sept. 24, when scores of N.F.L. players knelt, raised a fist or locked arms during the anthem to protest racial inequality, setting off fierce national debates. Last week, several high schools stepped into the fray by warning students not to kneel during the anthem at sports events, with some threatening disciplinary action.

And it has begun.

High schools are now following Trump’s order. 

Will kick off any players who don’t stand during the National Anthem.

Still, some students were reported kneeling during the anthem in towns across the country, from Vancouver, Wash., to New Brunswick, N.J., to Austin, Tex. In contrast, one team in Fannin County, Ga., had its players carry American flags while running onto the field.

Mr. Mitchem said his football team was a small church-based operation with no high school affiliation.

“They know that when I make a rule, I make a rule,” he said of his players. “I’m trying to teach the guys respect, and in our program, we do more than just play football. We teach guys how to shake hands with somebody, look them in the eye, be a man.”

He said he cared about Mr. Ingram-Lewis and Mr. McCullough and would consider letting them play again as long as they did not protest during the anthem.

Mr. McCullough could not be reached but Mr. Ingram-Lewis said he did not regret leaving the team, adding that his demonstration was not about disrespecting the flag or the military.

“That’s not our intent. That wasn’t Kaepernick’s intent when he first kneeled,” he said. “It was about police brutality and racial injustice.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/high-school-national-anthem.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

• Like 1

Â