U.S. Politics

maqroll

13 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

They WILL hear the phrase "utterly ridiculous" far and wide, on Fox news, on Rush Limbaugh, etc etc etc ad naseam. The more Trump outrages, the happier his cult followers.

My point is that the meme is now out there -- Obama hired the British to spy on Trump -- and it will never, ever, ever be put back into the genie bottle.

How to combat this? I don't know. It's very hard. It's something many people are trying to figure out. But as we've seen repeatedly, shrill outrage only seems to throw more petrol on the fire. 

And it isn't helped by Merkel being hacked in 2010. Distrust runs deep.

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

It would be utterly ridiculous if British intelligence wasn't keeping tabs on him . I really doubt 5&6 haven't been all over this guy for quite some time .

If he's not a grave matter of national security for Britain, I don't know what is.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think you're making an absolute mountain out of an infinitesimal molehill, but fair enough. I doubt we're going to persuade each other so I'll leave it there.  

Not to point-score, but after this exchange I watched the NBC Nightly news -- sort of like ITV or Channel 4 news but much less literate -- and at one point, embalmed across the screen in huge letters, the phase: "UTTERLY RIDICULOUS." I sort of smiled to myself as I didn't except the phrase to gain quite so much traction, but there's a certain way that American media love to portray Britain and British culture (verbose, adverb heavily, etc etc) that is almost irresistible for them. Again, not trying to score points, but I was actually surprised at how the news seemed to do exactly what I suspected it might.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Not to point-score, but after this exchange I watched the NBC Nightly news -- sort of like ITV or Channel 4 news but much less literate -- and at one point, embalmed across the screen in huge letters, the phase: "UTTERLY RIDICULOUS." I sort of smiled to myself as I didn't except the phrase to gain quite so much traction, but there's a certain way that American media love to portray Britain and British culture (verbose, adverb heavily, etc etc) that is almost irresistible for them. Again, not trying to score points, but I was actually surprised at how the news seemed to do exactly what I suspected it might.

Fair enough, but the original contention was that this was a bad tactical statement from GCHQ, as if the adverb itself would turn people away from believing Britain's spy network and towards believing Trump. 

My contention was, and is, that all of the people you were talking about would already believe the American president over Britain's spies, and that whatever form GCHQ's press release took would make zero effect on this. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

If he's not a grave matter of national security for Britain, I don't know what is.

I'm hoping his code name is "agent orange" - with the quotation marks included.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The Washington Post website posted an article with the headline "Trump’s budget makes perfect sense and will fix America, and I will tell you why..."

The White House is delighted, and has reposted it on the official WH website. 

It's unfortunate that they only read the headline, and not the actual article - it's an absolutely scathing pisstake. 

They really are beyond thick. 

Well, that sort of understates it. They're not just more thick than thick, they're profoundly anti-intellectual. Not merely stupid, but actually hostile to learning and knowledge. 

As I understand it, the professional class in Washington with the sorts of expertise the White House needs right now are either so terrified of Team Trump's incompetence that they don't want to risk their reputations by being associated with them, or they're being rejected from service because of their perceived disloyalty. So there's a kind of impenetrable ring road of stupidity surrounding the White House.

So ... even something as seemingly simple as a communications office's accurate and thorough reading of a major news outlet's story just isn't happening. The Trump inner circle worked in substandard and fringe operations, too, because, as you know, they're "outsiders." Billionaire "outsiders."

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fair enough, but the original contention was that this was a bad tactical statement from GCHQ, as if the adverb itself would turn people away from believing Britain's spy network and towards believing Trump. 

My contention was, and is, that all of the people you were talking about would already believe the American president over Britain's spies, and that whatever form GCHQ's press release took would make zero effect on this. 

Can't disagree...

On 3/17/2017 at 23:11, maqroll said:

What a fail by Rachel Maddow the other night, BTW. She's so self-satisfied all the time, I kind of enjoyed watching her take one on the nose.

As a lefty myself, I have to say, she's everything that's wrong with the liberal press. Similarly I'd say the Daily Show has totally gone down the pan with that moron Trevor Noah. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

As a lefty myself, I have to say, she's everything that's wrong with the liberal press. Similarly I'd say the Daily Show has totally gone down the pan with that moron Trevor Noah. 

If you like political comedy/satire in the mould of the Daily Show Jon Stewart era, then the undoubted new Queen is Samantha Bee. Her show is called "Full Frontal" and is the best written show out there.

Edited by TheAuthority

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Noah isn't very funny or particularly insightful. Same with Larry Wilmore. Colbert and Stewart are tough acts to follow.

"Marijuana users are not good people"- Jefferson Beauregard Sessions

Only a real dyed in the wool Confederate has a name like that. I bet you he traces his ancestry to the Normans of France, his blood unpolluted by the inferior Anglo-Saxons. I guarantee you he has a white robe in his attic.

• Like 2

Apparently the justification for cutting meals on wheels for the elderly and school dinners in poverty stricken schools is essentially that the programs are not directly making the government any money. 

http://www.scarymommy.com/trump-budget-director-cut-programs-feeding-kids-and-elderly/

“Meals on Wheels sounds great… but I can’t defend that anymore. We’re 20 trillion dollars in debt. We’re gonna spend money, we’re gonna spend a lot of money, but we’re not going to spend it on programs that cannot show that they actually deliver the promises that we’ve made to people.”

On school dinners:

“They’re supposed to be educational programs, right?” Mulvaney said to reporters. “Guess what? There’s no demonstrable evidence they’re actually doing that. There’s no demonstrable evidence they’re actually helping results, they’re helping kids do better in school.”

He continued, “The way we justified it was: these programs are going to help these kids do better in school and get better jobs. And we can’t prove that that’s happening.”

Edited by LondonLax

Â