U.S. Politics

maqroll

Worth bearing in mind that as interesting as the political compass is its famously genuinely hard to get a realistically right wing result on it unless you give absurdly right wing answers.

I've only ever seen one that was allegedly genuine.

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

At the moment the lunatic fringe seems to be in control.

He does have a bonkers haircut I'll  give you that . 

I'll try next time I'm in the barbers .

Short back and sides with a lunatic fringe .

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You have to wonder what he actually asks for at the barbers.

I'd definitely just shave it all off.

I read an article by one of the stylists on the Apprentice. Apparently he'd turn up to set with his hair already done and refuse to allow anyone to touch it. 

She was under the impression that his family cut it for him because of how poorly it was done.

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Worth bearing in mind that as interesting as the political compass is its famously genuinely hard to get a realistically right wing result on it unless you give absurdly right wing answers.

I've only ever seen one that was allegedly genuine.

Agreed but as a rough bench mark I think it's reasonably useful for someone trying to find where they sit on the political map.

Thought this was a good article.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/right-now-is-the-best-time-in-history-to-be-alive?utm_source=vicefbuk&utm_campaign=global

I've quoted some pertinent bits (IMO)

Norberg's premise is that by any measure of human development – life expectancy, infant mortality, poverty, literacy, freedom, exposure to violence and disease, etc – we are living in a golden age that is completely unprecedented in the history of humanity. 

So given all this good stuff, why is everyone so anxious, depressed and angry all the time? Obviously it's partly because of increased access to information – we can now see disasters unfolding in real time. But it's also evolutionary; we evolved to constantly scan the horizon for threats. Only bad news catches our eye.

And this has political implications. Norberg is clear that he has written this book partially as a warning. The sense that "everything is going downhill" is exactly what feeds populist politics like Trump, Marine Le Pen and Brexit. And these are precisely movements that threaten the very progress we're talking about.

5 hours ago, Tegis said:

Love his consistency

It may be worth mentioning that when he was trying to stop windfarms being placed at sea within eyesight of the ludicrous golf course he developed in Scotland, wrecking unique and irreplaceable sand dune ecosystems in the process, he paid hard--up local young people to pretend to be protestors against the wind farms.

He paid £20.

Not just an unspeakabke hypocrite, but a total cheapskate into the bargain.

word removed.

If you wrote it up as a sitcom, it would be rejected as too implausible.

Bedlam.

Bunch of utter tosspots.

And they have the power to unpick environmental measures at immense cost to the entire world, in pursuit of short-term profit and in service to their own unquantifiable stupidity.

Scary, scary stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

i just think that's total utter bollocks. You're dismissing evidence for feelings.

And I agree with Chindie, "old fashioned views" is just a euphemism for justifying whatever bigoted viewpoints you may have. Certain views are and should remain old fashioned for a reason. Same with "traditional values".

Not aimed at you ruge, aimed at the phrase itself.

I always find it interesting that it's the people who harp on about old fashion values that are the first to criticize Muslims in some war torn part of the middle east for their old fashion values...as if, if they ever completely gotten their way and their country was in complete anarchy they wouldn't be too dissimilar. Another in a long line of hypocrisies which makes it very hard for me to be sympathetic with the people who voted for Trump.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I always find it interesting that it's the people who harp on about old fashion values that are the first to criticize Muslims in some war torn part of the middle east for their old fashion values...as if, if they ever completely gotten their way and their country was in complete anarchy they wouldn't be too dissimilar. Another in a long line of hypocrisies which makes it very hard for me to be sympathetic with the people who voted for Trump.

Worlds apart. Inhumane comes to mind.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

A conservative Muslim living in the Muslim world is almost certainly going to be very religious. It's not the same in this part of the world. Don't really need to say anymore than that really. In my eyes belief in sharia law is inhumane .Also some of their other beliefs are too. Anyway back OT.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Â