U.S. Politics

maqroll

Easy to say things when you look at things with black and white lenses and not much context. There's really no difference between Evangelical Christianity and ultra-conservative Islam except for the fact that one is practiced in the most developed country in the world and is kept in check by the checks and balances in place there and the other in a completely destabilized region.

I find it quite rich that people who actively try to bring about armageddon and if left to their devices would take the country right back to the 1900's constantly criticize and demonize people who are no more conservative than them. Obviously it isn't the conservatism they care about...that's just a front.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Easy to say things when you look at things with black and white lenses and not much context. There's really no difference between Evangelical Christianity and ultra-conservative Islam except for the fact that one is practiced in the most developed country in the world and is kept in check by the checks and balances in place there and the other in a completely destabilized region.

I find it quite rich that people who actively try to bring about armageddon and if left to their devices would take the country right back to the 1900's constantly criticize and demonize people who are no more conservative than them. Obviously it isn't the conservatism they care about...that's just a front.

Very true, but we are not on about evangelical Christians and ultra conservative Muslims. I agree that ultra religious Christians have some very sick views. Why is Afghanistan still stuck in the dark ages? Because of the taliban. There has been many attempts to liberate that country from the Stone Age from foreign invaders and its own people. The fact is the conservatives of that country didn't want women to have an education and didn't want a democracy . You cannot compare the two worlds I'm afraid. Also I'm against bombing any nation back to the Stone Age. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm against bombing any nation back to the Stone Age. 

Perhaps the bigger danger is unwinding measures to limit climate change, which would mean, in a few decades, flooding of vast coastal areas, desertification of many inland areas, unparalleled forced population movement that would make the current streams of refugees look like a queue at a bus stop, and the resulting global conflict that would ensue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterms said:

Perhaps the bigger danger is unwinding measures to limit climate change, which would mean, in a few decades, flooding of vast coastal areas, desertification of many inland areas, unparalleled forced population movement that would make the current streams of refugees look like a queue at a bus stop, and the resulting global conflict that would ensue.

Agree. Climate change needs to be respected and measures put in place. I read somewhere the other day that's it's been slowed down. Something to do with trees. It would take a complete lunatic to disregard climate change, I know trump does but we shall see what action he takes. i think we will be ok for a while yet. After all the world could end at any given moment.

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Agree. Climate change needs to be respected and measures put in place. I read somewhere the other day that's it's been slowed down. Something to do with trees. It would take a complete lunatic to disregard climate change, I know trump does but we shall see what action he takes. i think we will be ok for a while yet. After all the world could end at any given moment.

Thing is, in terms of keeping people in ignorance with damaging effects, what is happening in the US is actually more globally dangerous than the more limited and local impact of the Taliban.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peterms said:

Thing is, in terms of keeping people in ignorance with damaging effects, what is happening in the US is actually more globally dangerous than the more limited and local impact of the Taliban.

The taliban are of no real threat globally. keeping people in ignorance of what?

16 hours ago, BOF said:

Well that's nice of you to say :) FWIW I include myself in the number who were never into politics in the first place but who have been taking a closer look. I find the taking of sides (polarisation) to be quite fascinating when it should be about a more all-encompassing approach, but of course that's naïve idealistic nonsense and the world doesn't work like that so ... I can't offer any solutions :P

I mean, I get that you're joking, but that is naïve idealistic nonsense. It's also contradictory, as far as I can tell - in the previous post you were cheering the idea that now 'politics is meaningful' and people's votes are finally worth something, now you seem to be suggesting that cosy consensus (ie, the very thing you were cheering the end of one post previously) is somehow the correct approach. 

Trump seems a little more reserved now, saying that he likes parts of Obamacare. 

Perhaps he is being advised well and been told to tone it down a bit

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, I get that you're joking, but that is naïve idealistic nonsense. It's also contradictory, as far as I can tell - in the previous post you were cheering the idea that now 'politics is meaningful' and people's votes are finally worth something, now you seem to be suggesting that cosy consensus (ie, the very thing you were cheering the end of one post previously) is somehow the correct approach. 

You've misunderstood me. The coziness I was referring to previously was a political coziness that excluded vast swathes of the population and was only possible because of a disillusioned population who were not voting. That's different to having a broader conscientious social agenda.

http://tinyurl.com/hz9rp3g

History Tells Us What Will Happen Next With Brexit And Trump

It seems we’re entering another of those stupid seasons humans impose on themselves at fairly regular intervals.

My background is archaeology, so also history and anthropology. It leads me to look at big historical patterns. My theory is that most peoples’ perspective of history is limited to the experience communicated by their parents and grandparents, so 50-100 years. To go beyond that you have to read, study and learn to untangle the propaganda that is inevitable in all telling of history. In a nutshell, at university I would fail a paper if I didn’t compare at least two, if not three opposing views on a topic. Taking one telling of events as gospel doesn’t wash in the comparative analytical method of research that forms the core of British academia. (I can’t speak for other systems, but they’re definitely not all alike in this way.)

This chap saved me writing a longer post

Edited by Straggler

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

You've misunderstood me. The coziness I was referring to previously was a political coziness that excluded vast swathes of the population and was only possible because of a disillusioned population who were not voting. That's different to having a broader conscientious social agenda.

Okay, I have misunderstood you then. I think I'm a bit confused about your views on this, because you seemed to like that Pie video and I thought it was rubbish, but it may be that we have more similar views than I assumed. I don't disagree with your idea in the post above, except that I think the consensus existed first and the apathy came later, and I can't see positives in a Trump - even theoretically, even in a 'heightening the contradictions' sense - if I have a 'broader conscientious social agenda'. 

14 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

It'd be interesting to see if there is a correlation between some of his most outrageous comments and the states in which they were said.

It's starting to look like he played the game of political campaigning to perfection.

If that is the case then we ought to be really worried about how things turn out.

If all of his pronouncements were indeed stump schtick then those people who voted for him as 'change' will be very angry and those Republicans who weren't fans but are now happy as they've got control of everything won't be rushing to his defence much.

2 hours ago, peterms said:

aren't the Taliban now the good guys as they are fighting ISIS , I can never keep up with the whose good and whose bad thing these days 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

aren't the Taliban now the good guys as they are fighting ISIS , I can never keep up with the whose good and whose bad thing these days 

The Taliban are good, then bad, then good, then bad again!. I can't keep up either. I think they are currently good guys again?

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

If that is the case then we ought to be really worried about how things turn out.

If all of his pronouncements were indeed stump schtick then those people who voted for him as 'change' will be very angry and those Republicans who weren't fans but are now happy as they've got control of everything won't be rushing to his defence much.

I'm not suggesting he didn't mean what he said. I just wonder if he said certain things in certain states for maximum impact.

That video is hilarious.

A billionaire, most well known for his hotels, is going to criticise others for benefiting from and using system of the world of finance and corporations, and is going to overturn that system, which has been decades in the making with fingers in global pies, and everything will be better for the have-nots. And he's going to whinge about a 'malacious' campaign of lies, while his team threw as many if not more.

In the words of Gary Johnson, that is absolute horseshit.

• Like 4

Â