U.S. Politics

maqroll

Matt Gaetz about to be accused of sex trafficking and sex with a minor. Who has his back? Marjorie Taylor Greene. Who opened the case against Gaetz? The republican administration under Donny. The nutty fringe of the nutty party is disintegrating. 

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Matt Gaetz about to be accused of sex trafficking and sex with a minor. Who has his back? Marjorie Taylor Greene. Who opened the case against Gaetz? The republican administration under Donny. The nutty fringe of the nutty party is disintegrating. 

If there is veracity to the reporting then he is toast and going to spend time in a federal hotel, already being treated as toxic by all sides in congress.

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Wow, seems like such a nice feller too. Just goes to show you never know. 

8 hours ago, magnkarl said:

and apparently he asked for a blanket pardon from the WH but never got it.  Apparently it never got to Trump's desk and I wonder if he would've said  yes or no if it had.  Trump's statement today/yesterday was brief and no more enlightening.  Funny that Gaetz now mentions the Merrick Garland administration are after him when you rightly point out it was under Republican and Barr leadership it was opened in the first place.  Liz Cheney must be laughing at the karma that is coming to bite Gaetz politically whether the allegations are true or not.

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

and apparently he asked for a blanket pardon from the WH but never got it.  Apparently it never got to Trump's desk and I wonder if he would've said  yes or no if it had.  Trump's statement today/yesterday was brief and no more enlightening.  Funny that Gaetz now mentions the Merrick Garland administration are after him when you rightly point out it was under Republican and Barr leadership it was opened in the first place.  Liz Cheney must be laughing at the karma that is coming to bite Gaetz politically whether the allegations are true or not.

Rumours from Florida's senate is that he used to have a game going with other male reps where they'd get points for bedding female interns with extra points if they were married. The guy is toast. Not even Fox wants to touch him. Tucker Carlsson called his interview the other day 'the weirdest interview he's ever done', which says a lot..

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Tucker Carlsson called his interview the other day 'the weirdest interview he's ever done', which says a lot..

Obviously not including talking to himself in the mirror. 

• Like 1

Biden has a go at the gun lobby/industry. Mostly beating around the bush as the dems have no ability to actually enact legislation, but should keep his base happy while setting the other base on fire.

Roughly.

1. The Justice Department, within 30 days, will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns.”

2. The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act

3. The Justice Department, within 60 days, will publish model “red flag” legislation for states.

4. The Administration is investing in evidence-based community violence interventions

5. The Justice Department will issue an annual report on firearms trafficking.

6. The President will nominate David Chipman to serve as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villakram said:

Biden has a go at the gun lobby/industry. Mostly beating around the bush as the dems have no ability to actually enact legislation, but should keep his base happy while setting the other base on fire.

Roughly.

1. The Justice Department, within 30 days, will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns.”

2. The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act

3. The Justice Department, within 60 days, will publish model “red flag” legislation for states.

4. The Administration is investing in evidence-based community violence interventions

6. The President will nominate David Chipman to serve as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

You are probably right in saying that the Ds will not be able to get real change through, but I don't see why this has to be about 'setting the other base on fire'.

Should he do nothing because he can't get it through? Or should he propose more strict measures (which would get stronger opposition)? He ran on making changes to gun legislation, to me it's reasonable that he at least tries to do something.

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Roughly.

Could he just ban guns (or ammunition) outright as an executive order?

Or is that individual states or Congress who decides that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Could he just ban guns (or ammunition) outright as an executive order?

Or is that individual states or Congress who decides that?

He'd have to change the constitution

• Like 1

I've noticed this thread is in the "bolitics" section. Interesting word. Seriously through, I really hope Biden makes a breakthrough with the gun madness in the U.S. One of the things I loved about Obama was how much effort he made with gun control, but it was so difficult for him to make progress, so frustrating.

Edited by robby b

The President of the United States is frequently described as the most powerful man in the world.............. Yet he can't stop the sale of highly dangerous weapons which are causing dozens of massacres in his own country. 

The US truly is a **** up place. 

6 hours ago, AXD said:

You are probably right in saying that the Ds will not be able to get real change through, but I don't see why this has to be about 'setting the other base on fire'.

Should he do nothing because he can't get it through? Or should he propose more strict measures (which would get stronger opposition)? He ran on making changes to gun legislation, to me it's reasonable that he at least tries to do something.

It's not about Biden deliberately doing it, but simply by doing anything guns one immediately stirs up a hornets nest of motivation from a certain portion of the political spectrum over here.

I'd love to see the financial statements of all members of congress and their staff in the run up to these EOs, or pretty much any/all federal legislative efforts.

Edited by villakram

9 hours ago, villakram said:

It's not about Biden deliberately doing it, but simply by doing anything guns one immediately stirs up a hornets nest of motivation from a certain portion of the political spectrum over here.

I'd love to see the financial statements of all members of congress and their staff in the run up to these EOs, or pretty much any/all federal legislative efforts.

Agreed, your second part links up well with McConnells statement posted on here earlier, 'corporations should not have an opinion about politics but paying politicians is ok'

About the first, it's a shame that it has become such an oversensitive topic. Biden taking babysteps might be the best way to go about it, bit by bit they could move towards better regulations without antagonizing too many people.

21 hours ago, nick76 said:

This just came up on my timeline again, it’s one of my favourite clips from a tv show.  Even since this was recorded on nothing more than a tv series years ago, America has declined further and more broken, more divided than ever.

https://www.facebook.com/poeticsigma/videos/10124008814714744/

You should get a ban for posting a facebook link, hang thy head!

Â