Playstation 4

hogso

Does that indent light up? Red? And it swishes from side to side? Like KIT? It looks like the front of KIT.

That's "KITT", two T's.  Knight Industries Two Thousand.  Spluh!

tumblr_mg7ksbCTPx1r0pdc7o1_500.gif

• Like 1

Why is it that computer game developers are so needy about 2nd hand sales anyway? 

When DFS sell you a chair, you can sell it 2nd hand.

Same goes with almost everything, because it's yours.

Even though the person who buys it 2nd hand will play it online or offline, the guy buying the chairs going to **** sit on it.. where does it end? 

AND WHY DID I USE A **** CHAIR AS AN ANALOGY?! 

It's a tough one. Whilst you're right about being able to resell your other items, software is just different. If I buy a used chair, it's probably got a few bumps and scrapes, and years' worth of someone else's farts. There's also just the feeling that it's not new. Someone else has been using it and it's just not quite the same as having a brand new one just for yourself. This doesn't matter with software. Okay, you can say that the CD could get scratched and so on, but the disk really isn't important at all anymore. The software doesn't deteriorate. Okay it loses value over time, as newer games come out, but that's also the case for first-hand sales. Take the disk out of the equation, which is clearly the way things are going anyway. Should you be able to sell the games you buy on Steam, or games you download from the Xbox/PS store? Songs on iTunes?

On the other hand, there's strong arguments to support the idea that a strong second-hand market strengthens the primary market, but I'm not sure how much that applies to software. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's bought a few games I was unsure about, because after all, even if it sucks, I can sell them back and get something else. Not necessarily a new copy though...

It's not something with an easy answer, IMO.

The primary reason for the second hand market being different for games is because it can be different. As Chindie pointed out, the money GameStop and the likes makes on second hand sales isn't massive, but money is changing hands, and because of the nature of software there are ways for publisher to tap into this market in a way you really can't with furniture and the likes. They want a piece of the pie simply because it is possible, hence all the huffing and puffing about how the second hand market is ruining games etc, etc. They'll essentially use any remotely plausible argument they can come up with to justify it. It is how capitalism works. If you have a reasonable case for potentially making more money than you do right now you simply need to do it until other more profitable opportunities arises. 

£350 is a good price but we're still paying more than the Americans or Europeans if you look at the exchange rate.

The difference is £40 when you take in to account VAT. It'd be nice if it was the same price, but it's not a huge difference.

£350 is a good price but we're still paying more than the Americans or Europeans if you look at the exchange rate.

£350 is the price including VAT

$399 is the price excluding VAT

UK VAT is 20%, so the ex-VAT cost of the device is £292 (rounded up)

£1 = $1.56433

£292 = $456.78

Which means it's, give or take, £57 more expensive in the UK. Not quite as bad as it appears on face value

£1 = $1.56433

£292 = $456.78

Which means it's, give or take, £57 more expensive in the UK. Not quite as bad as it appears on face value

You're talking about it being 20% more expensive. That's huge IMO.

I doubt I'll be getting it when it comes out, I'll wait for the price to come down and the titles to build.

£1 = $1.56433

£292 = $456.78

You're talking about it being 20% more expensive. That's huge IMO.

I doubt I'll be getting it when it comes out, I'll wait for the price to come down and the titles to build.

Buy it in Euros then, save another £15

I've preordered on Amazon too. Figured I would do it now incase the price goes up slightly, being that they always use the price guarantee. I will get the lowest price if it goes down too so figured it was worth it. Can't wait!

Must admit I'm surprised at the amount of people pre-ordering. Do you guys always pre-order new consoles? I never have, and I definitely wouldn't before seeing a line up of launch games. Enough life in the PS3 for the next year or so for me.

I haven't before but you can bet there will be stock issues around xmas time so I'll either keep a great console with loads of good launch games or sell it for profit and get another one when there's more stuff to play.

It's a win-win

I haven't before but you can bet there will be stock issues around xmas time so I'll either keep a great console with loads of good launch games or sell it for profit and get another one when there's more stuff to play.

It's a win-win

I bet there aren't any stock issues at all. It's not a £40 game, and it's also going to be competing with the Xbox, even if it outsells it it's still taking away some of its potential audience.

It'll probably sell better next christmas

Edited by Rino8

problem is how many companies hold back and manufacture the stock shortages at launch because its free publicity?

sony have done it in the past, so have nintendo and apple seem to base their entire launch marketing campaigns on photos of people in lines outisde their stores

i'll preorder one eventually, not sure where from yet, it'll be pretty standard bundles at a guess, what do amazon do over delivery? charge you a fortune in p&p to get it on release day?

i'll preorder one eventually, not sure where from yet, it'll be pretty standard bundles at a guess, what do amazon do over delivery? charge you a fortune in p&p to get it on release day?

No, you can get free delivery, as with most items on Amazon. You only pay if you want it faster, such as on release day. It just takes 3-5 working days (if I remember correctly) for free delivery. I would just go for free delivery as there is no need to have it exactly on launch day...

Edited by briggaman

Â