Playstation 4

hogso

The attempts to salvage the Move and Vita. It really came across as Sony screaming at the consumer PLEASE BUY ONE OF THESE, WE'VE SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON DEVELOPING THEM, LOOK LOOK, THEY ARE USEFUL! Wasn't convinced. Don't care about remote play, don't care about sculpting. I liked LBP alot though, so the media molecule thing was kind of curious...in LBP you creating things for the purpose of playing the game. You know, levels, and stuff. I really don't care about showing off, ****, art or whatever it was supposed to be. I guess it's a draw for the casual gamer or something, as it was lost on me.

The Vita was always going to be a next gen thing. Otherwise Sony would have shown much, much more concern about how it was doing. It's a very very clever second screen solution. You'll be able to play any ps4 game remotely on it! That's huge

The Blizzard thing - was everyone expecting WoW? And do you expect WoW in the future? That would be some coup for it to be a PS4 exclusive. As for Diablo 3, I was under the impression it wasn't very good, so seemed a bit of an anit-climax in regard to that reveal, but the future could be interesting. I assumed that the chaps repeated references to 'world domination' were no joke aswell.

I wasn't expecting wow, but maybe something new and fresh for a brand new console and a new partnership. I don't think wow is possible on a console they may attempt some sort of mmorpg that cross platforms with pc and ps4 that is more simpler than wow.

Isn't Blizzard supposed to be working on their next big MMO? Thought I read that somewhere?

The Blizzard thing - was everyone expecting WoW? And do you expect WoW in the future? That would be some coup for it to be a PS4 exclusive. As for Diablo 3, I was under the impression it wasn't very good, so seemed a bit of an anit-climax in regard to that reveal, but the future could be interesting. I assumed that the chaps repeated references to 'world domination' were no joke aswell.

I wasn't expecting wow, but maybe something new and fresh for a brand new console and a new partnership. I don't think wow is possible on a console they may attempt some sort of mmorpg that cross platforms with pc and ps4 that is more simpler than wow.

Isn't Blizzard supposed to be working on their next big MMO? Thought I read that somewhere?

Think it was/is called Titan.

Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios answered to the question that might have left a few gamers confused, why wasn't the console shown?

"As far as the DualShock 4 is concerned we wanted to do the live demo. And we were like, yeah, we have to show the controller, because it's awkward not to show the controller when someone is doing a demo. And also the feature that the DualShock 4 has, the share button, is a very key idea behind the design of the PS4... We really wanted to explain what we've done with the DualShock 4, but as far as the system itself we have to keep something new for later. Otherwise you'd get bored."

Kotaku

one thing that pisses me off with sony playstation, you cant play your old games for your new console. i hope they address this

they won't. at least not when it comes to popping in a disc and playing a game

you'll be able to play them over gaikai, but that's different

WRT streaming old games via cumulonimbus or whatever (this may be an epically stupid question), but do you i. have access to all old games or ii. do you have to buy them again in cloud form or iii. is there some odd way you can prove you have bought them already in the past? IOW how do you get and build a library of old cloud games? Or do we even know how they'll implement it. Maybe you can upload your disks to the cloud via the PS4's disk drive.

I think there's an element of truth to what you say.  I'd be kind of on your side.  I don't necessarily mind things being multi-functional especially if those functions all make sense to be done by that thing.  But the blurring of function between things like iPods, smartphones, palmtops and even cameras now all smacks of compromise to me.  You're getting a jack of all trades, master of none.  There's a lot to be said for a dedicated [somethingorother] that is the best at what it does.  I think the common strand in all of this is 'connectivity'.  If everything isn't wifi and connectable to the interweb these days and able to play and do everything then it's redundant before it's released.

• Like 1

I may be a luddite, but I like my games consoles to play games and leave it at that.

I'm not sure what the end game to all this 'intergration' is but it sure as hell looks expensive and a bit, well, pointless.

Bring back the N64!

What exactly do you think is pointless about it? 

To be fair, the main focus of the conference last night was games, as it should be. Obviously they have to keep on top with sharing/social media stuff and the relatively newish phenomenon of live streaming. Cloud streaming will split a lot of people naturally, as generally I think we like to collect physical copies of things because it feels like it's our property, but in reality it's a pretty handy advance in technology and we should probably start embracing it. 

For me, I saw all these great developers signing up and they just want to make games, good games and lots of games. So, console gaming is as healthy as ever by the looks of things.

I will admit that I'm one of those 'single-player only' types. I get a game, play the main story and leave it at that. The whole multi-player/social side of gaming goes over my head and therefore most of what Sony discussed seemed as useful to me as a trout in a DVD player.

It looks a good bit of kit and hopefully there is a new Red Dead. I can live without the rest.

Think it was/is called Titan.

Yeah, they've been working on 'Project Titan' for a while now and it was the thought that first hit me when I heard the Blizzard link. Perhaps this is what they have been building for.

Anyway, I'm excited to see D3 on a console, even if it wasn't an amazing game. Hopefully WoW too someday...

Few more tidbits of info since the announcement - the console will not require an always on internet connection, you will also not be able to transfer PSN games and saves from PS3 to PS4, although apparently some sort of 'compromise' might be offered.

I will admit that I'm one of those 'single-player only' types. I get a game, play the main story and leave it at that. The whole multi-player/social side of gaming goes over my head and therefore most of what Sony discussed seemed as useful to me as a trout in a DVD player.

It looks a good bit of kit and hopefully there is a new Red Dead. I can live without the rest.

I'm a little bit on your side.

I'm also mainly a single player gamer. FIFA is about the only thing I ever stray online to play.

And with my PS3, despite th emillion and one things it can do, is used to play PS3 games and the occasional Blu Ray.

If such a thing as a stripped down version of the new one ever existed that playe dgames and nothing else, I'd imagine I'd get on just fine with that.

I probably wouldn't buy it, because I'm weak and I'd think all the new stuff looked really cool. BUt the truth is, I'd probably never use it.

I'm a little bit on your side.

I'm also mainly a single player gamer. FIFA is about the only thing I ever stray online to play.

And with my PS3, despite th emillion and one things it can do, is used to play PS3 games and the occasional Blu Ray.

If such a thing as a stripped down version of the new one ever existed that playe dgames and nothing else, I'd imagine I'd get on just fine with that.

I probably wouldn't buy it, because I'm weak and I'd think all the new stuff looked really cool. BUt the truth is, I'd probably never use it.

nor me, COD is the only thing i play online

i tried the music unlimited service and thought it was shit, dont bother with lovefilm / netflix cos of sky anytime, same with iplayer now that is on sky skygo would be nice not sure if MS have that locked down, i think they need to make youtube more accesible on it, especially with the sharing stuff, surprised they've never explored a CL content service seeing as they have the sponsorship but id be tempted to watch games / highlights / goals on it if was quick enough

the drop in and out wont happen for the majority of gamers at a guess, not for me anyway, will be interesting to see if they can link the ps4 with twitter and facebook and then automatically link all your friends together, cos i must have a couple of hundred friends on facebook who own a ps3 and only about 4 psn friends, never saw the point, but i do find myself increasingly going on youtube to find out how to get trophies so i probably would use a service that let you watch videos of other people getting them (assuming trophies are staying)

WRT streaming old games via cumulonimbus or whatever (this may be an epically stupid question), but do you i. have access to all old games or ii. do you have to buy them again in cloud form or iii. is there some odd way you can prove you have bought them already in the past? IOW how do you get and build a library of old cloud games? Or do we even know how they'll implement it. Maybe you can upload your disks to the cloud via the PS4's disk drive.

Sony has previously offered a service to allow you to download versions of physical games you owned for a fee (introduced for the Vita IIRC to head off complaints that they'd introduced a new media format for the PSP and then dumped it on that consoles replacement). However it was very half arsed and limited (i'm not even sure they implemented it outside Japan, in truth, and few games actually offered it).

So basically, you'll be buying again. Guarenteed.

Anywho, this announcement left me indifferent. I don't really care. Nothing grabbed me about it - the games were usually graphically impressive but not absolutely jaw dropping otherwise, and nothing else caught my attention. I agree the 'Look! Move! Remember the Move?! You can still buy and use one you know!' and 'Vita! LOOK! You really need one!... please buy one...' was desperate and probably aren't going to achieve anything (theres not a chance the Vita will ever be 'a thing' without a marked price drop and change in the market, for instance). Oh and that controller... it looked like a Logitech product, and not in a good way. The touch pad is daft.

So yeah... I don't think I'm buying a PS4. Oh well.

Microsoft won't be any better, mind.

Â