Jimzk5

Just now, Andy81 said:

Of course we’d need a relationship with Mendes, as well as employing his former coach. 

There’s nothing wrong with either thing. 

I'll be interested to see how many mendes clients wolves get and the fees involved in the summer 

It seems to me this situation is about close relationships, trust and the fact that the Agent in question is just about the best around.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that when one of his players playing at Wolves out grows his value ( i.e Neves) He just moves him on to somewhere like Liverpool, Mendez takes his cut and finds a replacement for Wolves... as Wolves progress that will happen less and less and Mendez will eventually find another willing partner. While Mendez has no official placing within the club, its not exactly a mirror of what the run of the mill Agent does as far as I know. Mendez seems to have found a little niche for himself.

Maybe we need to do something similar with the second best Agent around.

Like has been said.....Its a premier league issue now.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

It seems to me this situation is about close relationships, trust and the fact that the Agent in question is just about the best around.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that when one of his players playing at Wolves out grows his value ( i.e Neves) He just moves him on to somewhere like Liverpool, Mendez takes his cut and finds a replacement for Wolves... as Wolves progress that will happen less and less and Mendez will eventually find another willing partner. While Mendez has no official placing within the club, its not exactly a mirror of what the run of the mill Agent does as far as I know. Mendez seems to have found a little niche for himself.

Maybe we need to do something similar with the second best Agent around.

I hope not. We can’t be critical of how one club conducts itself and then follow suit.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I hope not. We can’t be critical of how one club conducts itself and then follow suit.

If the authorities have given their blessing, maybe we need to re visit our critique and as the saying goes ...." If you can't beat them, join them"

I guess we were only critical as it appeared to not be within the spirit of the rules - now the EFL have said it's OK, then it's open season!

Seems odd how none of the players commonly referred to as Mendes/Gestifute clients are shown as such on the FA Agents Transaction list...

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/intermediaries/intermediaries-transactions

1 hour ago, punkymonkey666 said:

I guess we were only critical as it appeared to not be within the spirit of the rules - now the EFL have said it's OK, then it's open season!

Seems odd how none of the players commonly referred to as Mendes/Gestifute clients are shown as such on the FA Agents Transaction list...

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/intermediaries/intermediaries-transactions

'Odd' here, having the same meaning as 'isn't it odd that drug dealers don't take suitcases full of dirty money to their local bank branch to deposit into their personal savings accounts'. 

• Like 1

All clubs have relationships with agents, I think that’s a necessity of the game.

It’s the owner of a club having shares in the agency that raises questions, for me, anyway. 

I haven’t seen that anywhere else. I’m happy to be shown another example of that and be corrected, but I’ve haven’t seen one as of yet.

As has been said, there are probably clubs who have got their hands dirtier in some way or another. 

But I fully understand why Villa wanted to raise the issue and in particular Leeds (if the owner did indeed sell a stake in an agency after being recommended to do so. I can imagine he would want to speak to that advisor again if he hasn’t already done so). Although the way it was raised could have been better.

I won’t be surprised to see the subject discussed again to some extent when the fit & proper test is performed for the premier league. Although I expect the same outcome as whatever the situation is at Wolves, they will have got their house in order to officially comply.

On 27/04/2018 at 14:14, Shropshire Lad said:

All clubs have relationships with agents, I think that’s a necessity of the game.

It’s the owner of a club having shares in the agency that raises questions, for me, anyway. 

I haven’t seen that anywhere else. I’m happy to be shown another example of that and be corrected, but I’ve haven’t seen one as of yet.

This is what i'm struggling to understand, 

No issue with wolves having a preferred supplier (Mendes) however having a financial interest in a preferred supplier are we now saying this is allowed? 

In any other business organisation this would be tarred with a conflict of interest. 

• Like 2

On 27/04/2018 at 12:14, TRO said:

If the authorities have given their blessing, maybe we need to re visit our critique and as the saying goes ...." If you can't beat them, join them"

As in... "The 2nd Mouse Gets The Cheese" :D

On 27/04/2018 at 11:41, Demitri_C said:

I'll be interested to see how many mendes clients wolves get and the fees involved in the summer 

Same here, Its pretty obvious Mendes is using wolves as the shop window to flog his assets and will have no issue at all in gazumping wolves and selling them to the highest bidder.

Something that will become more evident and the fans will soon realise they are being used, getting royally pissed off with Uncle George along the way. 

No more singing of the agents name of the terraces! 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Exactly this. Imagine the scenario :

man city : "we like the look of Neves. Here's  £30m George".

George : "No way; wolves ay we ?"

man city: " Ok, here's  £50m and £10m 'expenses' for your efforts"

George : "Where do I sign ?!??"

Shop window is right, except the dogheads don't want to admit it. Never mind how rich Fosun am ("Prat from walsall {WM phone in}, I'm talking to you here);  the player himself would want to be based in laandaan or manchestuh playing CL footy preferably now and not stick around at the custard bowl hoping they get top 4 in the next few seasons.

Edited by mottaloo

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Same here, Its pretty obvious Mendes is using wolves as the shop window to flog his assets and will have no issue at all in gazumping wolves and selling them to the highest bidder.

Something that will become more evident and the fans will soon realise they are being used, getting royally pissed off with Uncle George along the way. 

They were in League 1 three seasons ago. I bet they dont care at the moment

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They were in League 1 three seasons ago. I bet they dont care at the moment

Yeah i totally get that, but it wont exactly be music to their fans ears considering they are going to win the 2022 World Cup.

19 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Well congratulations on the best team ever in the Championship reaching 100 points.....:crylaugh:

We didn't mate, we only got to 99.  Thankfully we only needed 91 to win the league.

1 hour ago, MikeAVFC said:

Seen their celebrations, fans out in numbers and open top bus parade plastered all over twitter today. Slightly envious I must admit (kills me to say that, we're AVFC ffs)

If Villa won the championship I very much doubt we would do anything other than show the trophy at Villa Park last game.  That is the difference be happy we got up but no need for a parade.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

If Villa won the championship I very much doubt we would do anything other than show the trophy at Villa Park last game.  That is the difference be happy we got up but no need for a parade.

Wolves have spent about 5 seasons in the last 30 in the top flight, I wouldnt begrudge the celebrations

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wolves have spent about 5 seasons in the last 30 in the top flight, I wouldnt begrudge the celebrations

Oh I am not begrudging them they deserve to have a party just saying if we did that I would not attend and I think many others would feel it small time.  However if in 10 years time we are still an also ran then I might change my mind!

Â