Jimzk5

In that case maybe he just means that Kenyon has had an hand in brokering the deal. Didn't actually see the tweets myself, just Wolves fans talking about them on one of their forums.

On Jackett, actually think he's a good manager, a lot of Swansea fans credit it him for where they are now and Wolves fans should see him in the same light.

Jackett did a great job at Wolves, built a decent young side and got rid of the knobheads. If they hadn't have been unlucky with injuries they probably would have managed to sneak into the play offs.

My mate told me that Jackett started very well, shipped out the dead wood, played young players and most importantly played attacking football, this got them promoted from League One and finished 7th in their first season back in championship. However, then changed his tactics in his third season and started playing defensively, which the players couldn't do and thus finished lower last year.

What an incredibly strange appointment.

- A manager in under 18 years of management who has only once spent more than one season at a club.

- A manager who has recently managed primarily in the middle east.

- Wolves will now be the 16th club he will have managed.

Not really a forward thinking appointment, and probably an indication on who will have power even at player level. 

not really that strange as he is a high profile appointment at this stage of season and still has a bit of name recognition from his playing days

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

My mate told me that Jackett started very well, shipped out the dead wood, played young players and most importantly played attacking football, this got them promoted from League One and finished 7th in their first season back in championship. However, then changed his tactics in his third season and started playing defensively, which the players couldn't do and thus finished lower last year.

Big problem was they had a great strikeforce at that level Sako-Afobe-Dicko.

Last summer they lost Sako, in August Dicko got season ending injury and Afobe didn't really want to be there anymore so coasted until January when he got his premier league move.

So many goals to lose and like so many clubs attempting to replace quality strikers was beyond them as likes of Le Fondre are a bit past it now.

Jackett's a good manager though, did a good job at Millwall aswell so he'll get another championship job before too long I reckon.

• Like 1

Their squad isn't anything to write home about.

I'd be surprised if they challenge for promotion this season. If people are pessimistic about us challenging (which I am) then you shouldn't be fearful of Wolves as we have better players than them and a manager who knows this league.

They might be one of those that have a stronger second half of the season (after a management change) but think they'll be stronger a year from now.

I'd be hesitant to write them off just yet. Zenga could just be stop-gap appointment, and if they sign some of the players they're being linked with then it might be harder for them to fail than succeed, whoever the manager might be.

19 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Would anyone else honestly rather have had their takeover if given the choice? Obviously it's very early days but just a hunch that the contacts and wealth they appear to have as a combination could be very, very good.

No, it looks dodgy to me, it's chaotic and all over the place and they have already, very early into it, made a pretty fatal decision in sacking Jackett and bringing Walter Zenga (LOL) in. 

Even a lot of their speculated transfer activity appears to be an elaborate scheme to make Jorge Mendes even richer.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd be hesitant to write them off just yet. Zenga could just be stop-gap appointment, and if they sign some of the players they're being linked with then it might be harder for them to fail than succeed, whoever the manager might be.

Man. City signed some great players in summer 2008 (Robinho, De Jong, Kompany, Zabeleta) but they spent most of that season bouncing between 8th-11th.

It takes time to gel usually with takeovers.

If you're so sure them lump on as I'd imagine they're a decent price to get promoted, certainly automatically.  

I was replying to the post above yours. And I didn't say I was sure about anything, just that I'd be hesitant to write them off, by which I meant as a force during the Fosun era, not specifically as soon as next season. I suppose whether or not they challenge for promotion this season depends on who they sign and how quickly they gel. As things stand I'd expect Villa to finish above them.

Edited by useless

28 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Which players today have heard of Walter Zenga?

They might get it right sometime but it won't happen with Zenga as manager. His managerial record is bad for a reason.

Yup, he's hardly a massive name. He was a good keeper in the 80's and early 90's. That's really it. 

On top of that, as a manager he seems to have averaged one club each year since 1999. Plus the bulk of his managerial experience has been in regions like the Middle East and Eastern Europe. 

If I were a Wolves fan I'd be very worried right now.

Â