January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Taking on board that we have no money to spend, what we need is a Dave Mackay type signing. For younger readers, he was the player Cloughie brought to Derby. So we basically want someone a bit knackered, old, damaged goods but has got a canny mind and can cajole the younger players.

Taking on board that we have no money to spend, what we need is a Dave Mackay type signing. For younger readers, he was the player Cloughie brought to Derby. So we basically want someone a bit knackered, old, damaged goods but has got a canny mind and can cajole the younger players.

Michael Owen it is then.

Yeah Ramsay goes on a lot for arsenal can't see him being sent out...

What about rodwell on loan, has been injured this season but was back on the bench yesterday, would do the holding role well and add added energy into the middle

Rodwell on loan is a great shout. Would suit both clubs.

Dave Mackay would fit the bill indeed. I cannot think of anyone like that today who could come in and do the same on the sort of wages and for the sort of fee we would be prepared to pay currently (if any). By the way we were in for Mackay when he was still at Hearts (I read this in Danny Blanchflower's book I think) but we were not prepared to pay the fee they had asked for and he ended up at Spurs instead.

The balance in the squad is all wrong, and with the injuries we have had, this has been shown up. The likes of Clark, Herd, Delph are fine as squad players - it's just that they are first teamers. However, Lambert inherited this - he didn't create it.

Yesterday Lambert got his tactics right (for the first time in a while), and the team looked good. Then Delph got a knock, and we brought on.....Bannan. Not even close to a like-for-like replacement in the circumstances. No problems with the Zog for Holman subtitution - Holman ain't got a lot of talent, but we can't afford better.

For me, a really good DCM and we look much better for the rest of the season, esp if we can keep Vlaar and/or Dunne fit.

Once Dunne and Warnock go at the end of the season (plus hopefully a few others who add little value - Ireland, Given, Makoun, Hutton (I know), Bannan, Delfouneso, and perhaps Albrighton and Stevens depending upon what they earn), Lambert can afford to continue the work he has started.

Dave Mackay would fit the bill indeed. I cannot think of anyone like that today who could come in and do the same on the sort of wages and for the sort of fee we would be prepared to pay currently (if any). By the way we were in for Mackay when he was still at Hearts (I read this in Danny Blanchflower's book I think) but we were not prepared to pay the fee they had asked for and he ended up at Spurs instead.

MacCallister at Liverpool would be a more recent example. Not sure who would be around to do it now for Villa, but I do think it's the right idea.

Frimpong (loan)

Sinclair (loan)

Heitinga (2m)

Get Dunne back and recall Hutton

----------------------Guzan--------------------------------

Hutton--------Vlaar-------Heitinga-----------Lowton

------------Frimpong--------Westwood----------------

Sinclair--------------Ireland/Zogbia----------Gabby

-----------------------Benteke----------------------------

or

-------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Hutton-------Vlaar-----------Heitinga---------Lowton