Media and punditry

BOF

13 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

There are plenty of shite white pundits (merson, Murphy, mills, le tiss, souness) so not sure why you think this is the reason 

I had to ask who the voice belonged to as I didn't know who it was until very recently.

I really don't feel the need for co-commentators, even when they are ex-Villa players.

17 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

There are some awful awful commentators most ex players on SSN. They would fail an interview at any other media company hands down.

I know it's not right, but being truthful, there is only one reason Micah Richard's is on TV commentating.

He is the only "City legend" they can find. Cant imagine Aguero is bothered to do sky punditry

15 hours ago, JPJCB said:

There are plenty of shite white pundits (merson, Murphy, mills, le tiss, souness) so not sure why you think this is the reason 

Neville is one of the worst, actually anybody that played for United or Liverpool 

Richards is alright. Sometimes he is grating especially when someone (Keane) is trying to make a serious point and he cannot take anything seriously. He's alright. He's a personality. He lightens the mood and I'm sure he is brilliant traction on social media. He's got charisma. It's TV not a **** house of parliament debate.

It isn't because he's black ffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Neville is one of the worst, actually anybody that played for United or Liverpool 

I'd have Richards over Neville. Richards knows himself at least. Nevile self serious, charisma vacuum and will give an opinion on absolutely any subject regardless of knowledge or experience...and often it's complete and utter waffle.

Keane at least for example when it comes to politics within football, Saudi owners and what not just shuts the **** up.

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Richards isn't great, but he acts as a foil for the more mature commentators - I've never heard him add anything that's tactically of interest, he's more there for the big laugh and the story about Wozza's dancing or whatever and he's quite good at that - I'm guessing kids like him and the happy idiot providing the comic relief works sometimes when you've got the sort of sensible staid, quiet of Shearer or the sparkling misery of Keane across the table.

What does grate with me is that the longer he's mixing with some really legendary players, the more he seems to have started to believe he belongs with them in a footballing sense - he was a dog average full back/centre back who got lucky in coming through at a club that were starting to win things - he seems to think he was the best English defender of his generation - I've got him down as some way behind Phil Neville.

He was decent, big, fast, great runner from full back before that was really a must have. He was in the City team at 18.

But the thing is, his career was basically over when he was 23 or 24, he never did anything of note after that.

He's been a pundit for years it feels, he's only 33! There's players with 3 or 4 years of playing left at 33.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

He was decent, big, fast, great runner from full back before that was really a must have. He was in the City team at 18.

But the thing is, his career was basically over when he was 23 or 24, he never did anything of note after that.

He's been a pundit for years it feels, he's only 33! There's players with 3 or 4 years of playing left at 33.

He couldn't read the game and was a split second late to everything but in his youth he had the athleticism to recover, he was never a top defender he was a top athlete, nobody at city ever really got hold of him and coached him better positioning and body shape so inevitably it caught up with him, the year or two years he spent not getting a kick for them (was he even registered one year?) I've never heard him talk about that story as to why he never saw the writing on the wall and got out and instead he was done, no one took his raw talent and developed him in to a footballer they were too busy waxing lyrical about how great he was to stop and notice that he wasn't even playing football at 25, mental that we went a where near him, he's right up there as the worst signing we've ever made 

I think Kyle walker makes an interesting comparison, same kind of skill set but walker has kept his speed not had as many injuries and not become a great natural defender or anything but he has at least improved enough to stay at the top level 

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He couldn't read the game and was a split second late to everything but in his youth he had the athleticism to recover, he was never a top defender he was a top athlete, nobody at city ever really got hold of him and coached him better positioning and body shape so inevitably it caught up with him, the year or two years he spent not getting a kick for them (was he even registered one year?) I've never heard him talk about that story as to why he never saw the writing on the wall and got out and instead he was done, no one took his raw talent and developed him in to a footballer they were too busy waxing lyrical about how great he was to stop and notice that he wasn't even playing football at 25, mental that we went a where near him, he's right up there as the worst signing we've ever made 

I think Kyle walker makes an interesting comparison, same kind of skill set but walker has kept his speed not had as many injuries and not become a great natural defender or anything but he has at least improved enough to stay at the top level 

I think his body doesn't seem suitable for football. Not sure if its naturally built that way or he spent too much time in the gym. How he lost his pace and why he couldnt play after 24

We signed him at 27 which was called as a mistake at the time 

Had some of that soccer Saturday or whatever it was called on today, talk about a dreadful panel, had Clinton Morrison who doesn’t know when to stop at a sentence just none stop mumbling and Jamie Mackie who was just as bad as him, all what was was needed was that bloody Sue Smith on but she was on earlier on skysports news chatting nonsense and doing the usual talking with the hands, gone right down hill sky for punditry

Jason Cundy on Talk Sport last season. "if kane moves to Man City it's all over for the rest of the clubs, it'll be dominance".

Cun*y on Haaland moving to Man City " the top 4 will just have to catch up, look at Liverpool they are doing it without big finance"

Hate the guy, complete idiot. Not only is this bull****,  there was no mention of the other 16 teams in the whole of his conversation.

7 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Cun*y on Haaland moving to Man City " the top 4 will just have to catch up, look at Liverpool they are doing it without big finance"

Liverpool fans buy into this, conveniently forgetting their 65m Keeper and 75m Centre half

Edited by chappy
Numberwang
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, chappy said:

Liverpool fans buy into this, conveniently forgetting their 65m Keeper and 75m Centre half

They're now sat with 2 reserve attackers costing £45m each and a 3rd choice CB for £35m

They've spent plenty of money 

At least they can wheel out the net spend bollocks because they blagged millions out of Bournemouth 

On 20/04/2022 at 00:39, chappy said:

Doesn’t this miss the point? They’ve done that mostly through player sales - not just pumping money at it.

I reckon their net spend is probably low even by generic Premier League levels if we looked at the last, say… 5 seasons or something. 

I find it amusing that the Premier League media, itself, has a much higher quality production / shows / analysts etc then those who bid on the rights for the games(BT & Sky). **** I’d even say that NBC over here does a better job with the PL rights then Sky & BT. 

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Doesn’t this miss the point? They’ve done that mostly through player sales - not just pumping money at it.

I reckon their net spend is probably low even by generic Premier League levels if we looked at the last, say… 5 seasons or something. 

Net spend over last 5 years is 197.2m, 9th highest in league.

387.49m last 10 years, 4th highest in league (behind MU, MC, Arsenal and Chelsea).

Source

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, chappy said:

Net spend over last 5 years is 197.2m, 9th highest in league.

387.49m last 10 years, 4th highest in league (behind MU, MC, Arsenal and Chelsea).

Source

Cheers - pretty much as I thought, very middle of the road in Premier League terms. 

Â