September Optimism Gauge

maqroll

It is typical of the self gratification jungle we live in.

We have illustrated our failure in graphic detail of signing players in excess of c 5mill, we have simply crashed and burn't them.

We have to try a different approach.... no one knows if it will work, but it has worked for HIM before and it has worked for US before.

As to the quality v quantity debate, I think in this instance we did need quantity also, its the thing that will help change the type of player and the culture.

The "hungry" needs to out populate the "over fed" and then the mental attitude to winning will hopefully change.

There are never any guarantee's but I think I can see what PL is trying to do.... fingers crossed.

Well said.

It is typical of the self gratification jungle we live in.

We have illustrated our failure in graphic detail of signing players in excess of c 5mill, we have simply crashed and burn't them.

We have to try a different approach.... no one knows if it will work, but it has worked for HIM before and it has worked for US before.

As to the quality v quantity debate, I think in this instance we did need quantity also, its the thing that will help change the type of player and the culture.

The "hungry" needs to out populate the "over fed" and then the mental attitude to winning will hopefully change.

There are never any guarantee's but I think I can see what PL is trying to do.... fingers crossed.

Well said.

I can only comment on the transfers/results really (as I have not seen the games) - but this is an excellent post TRO.

How will he do best to create the team and culture he wants to when given 20 mill?

1) Buy Dempsey

yeh, he did actually try that! :lol:

Yes, before he found out that Dempsey was not excactly motivated to come to Aston Villa.

He decided to buy Benteke instead for the same amount (but a lower wage) and could get his other signings within the budget of net spend at 20 mill.

You left out the Adam Johnson, though, who would have taken the rest of the budget and thus making the signings of Vlaar, El Ahmadi, Lowton, Bennett and Westwood difficult (if the budget was 20 mill).

The question will be the same: Would Lambert managed to change the culture of Aston Villa with only two signings who has high wages?

Please think about that, rather than cutting my post so it looks dumb.

I was pleased with the new signings and felt positive, but since then I have yet to hear an ex-player or suppose expert on Sky (Merson etc) that does not think we will be going down or very close due to the lack of experienced PL players. This has started to worry me.

As we are stuck with what we have got we must bite our lip and give them 100% support and cut out the negatve vibes

I was pleased with the new signings and felt positive, but since then I have yet to hear an ex-player or suppose expert on Sky (Merson etc) that does not think we will be going down or very close due to the lack of experienced PL players. This has started to worry me.

As we are stuck with what we have got we must bite our lip and give them 100% support and cut out the negatve vibes

They all also said Swansea and Norwich were going down for the sw reasons last year. How did that work out?

big john: can you show us on the doll where randy touched you?

Being molested by a billionnaire would have been a massive highlight over the last two years.

ahahahahah. touchè.

still though, if randy/MON hadn't managed to get us 3 consecutive 6th's then the last two years wouldn't have hurt so much right?

randy had a go by splashing the cash, overstretching if we didn't manage CL football, the team that MON built didn't make it. so we were left with a CL wage bill and no CL money. in that situation i think first he turned to houllier to try a different football philosophy more suited to european football. this **** up big time in part due to houllier and in part due to the boozier elements of the squad and mainly due to his health failing.

then with reduced income due to a low finish in the prem he panicked and told mcleish to get rid of all the high earners and keep us in the league. he did, but only just and was horrible football wise. so, no good going forward like that.

which left us back at square one, so what do you do? we already tried just chucking money at it and it didn't work. i think getting PL is hopefully the first step to greater things, getting Henke is a very good sign for future transfer windows. if PL can build a squad that acheives midtable this year (i genuinely think we will be, 8 signings gives us more competition for places and has improved our squad). then next year we can kick on from there helped by the increasing TV money, giving us an advantage over bigger clubs in spain, italy and germany in terms of wages. maybe Henke can use that advantage to help PL do what MON couldn't?

maybe not.

i still don't see how constantly moaning about randy not splashing the cash, or the last two years, is anything more than a waste of time though!

Just started to right this post after seeing our starting line....

Was going to say im very optimistic for the season ahead.... during which time, we have just gone and scored!

Granted... we could go on to lose... but, I was happy with the way the starting line up was shaping up... bench looked pretty good... and still have Westwood and Benteke to come in!

Just hope the 'Supporters' and get the chip off their shoulders and 'Support' the team!

UTV

Well we're up out of the bottom three now!

I thought that KEA and Ireland both looked technically sound on the ball today, some cracking touches and flicks from Ireland, it's good to see him with some confidence going forward and it really helped today, should've been on the scoresheet. Holman's passing definitely needs work but his workrate and energy levels are high which made a massive difference to our play today.

Bent also looked better today, I even saw him track back into our half at one stage, more movement and all round better play from him, another one who should've scored IMO. Gabby made an impact coming on also, but Weimann played well before he was taken off.

Vlaar was solid at the back, as well as when bringing the ball forward, and Clark got a goal which will also boost his confidence. Lichaj a bit shaky if I'm honest, but on the other side, Lowton (who I was skeptical of when thrown into our first team) looks miles better than Hutton already and he'll undoubtedly improve as time goes on.

Today has made me a lot more optimistic, and I hope we take today's performance into the next game and get our first win - although Swansea will be tough opponents, I reckon Benteke will probably start and will want to make an impact.

Also liked the team huddle before the game, and Lambert ensuring all the lads went and applauded our fans.

Let us now push forward and keep the positivity high, sell out crowd against Swansea please, UTV!

It may shut up the doubters who only want premiership experience all they have to do is look at Lowton and then look at the carthorse we had at right back last season for more money and higher wages.

Why should doubters "shut up"? there is nothing wrong with having doubts.

If Lowton is an exception fine, but most RB's (and other players) are in the lower leagues because they are not good enough for the PL.

Â