September Optimism Gauge

maqroll

The four games so far (including two defeats) have ALREADY been more enjoyable than the whole of last season.

That says something. The game against Everton was still an improvement, and we were terrible.

The key thing this year is that no team looks particularly weak. Last year we stayed up because there were 3 teams worse than us, this year we're going to have to actually be better.

I am very optimistic of 1-17th, but I think it'll be the lower end of that scale, perhaps next week we can begin to talk of top 10 again. I'd take 17th and slowly improving throughout the season for now though.

Wonder why we performed so much better just 8 days after the Everton debacle?
The conspiracy theorist in me says he deliberately selected a poor team for the Everton game and sent them out ill-prepared so as to force Lerner's hand and make him spend some money on transfers and drop his sell-to-buy approach.

But that's just crazy thinking....

In all honesty, i think there were certain players he wanted to look at again, N'Zogbia/Delfouneso, and decided to try them. I'm not sure Bannan would have started against Newcastle had Delph been fit.

I don't think he envisiged us being so soundly beaten by Everton.

I must admit coming home from West Ham and Everton I was tremendously pessimistic about our future but yesterday's performance more than the result just shows that patience has to be our virtue this season.

As supporters we really must try and look at the bigger picture and not get so isolated by one performance to the next.

I believe that PL really is a top manager and although I would have liked to seen a little more experience from our transfer activity I am more than happy to back his judgement.

I don't expect all the new signing to come in straight away and can only see possibly Bennett starting the next game. It would after all be extremely harsh on those that performed so well yesterday to be left out.

I certainly don't see Westwood starting just yet and even Benteke I only see being on the bench especially after Gabby's impressive subs appearance.

Its still going to be a tough season and I'm sure we will see some really inconsistances in our performances, you only have to compare Everton to Newcastle to see that.

I'm going for a lower midtable finish which I think will be more than acceptable given the position and limitations PL has to work to and a season that will see some reallly pleasing results and performance and possibly some horror shows.

It may shut up the doubters who only want premiership experience all they have to do is look at Lowton and then look at the carthorse we had at right back last season for more money and higher wages.

Why should doubters "shut up"? there is nothing wrong with having doubts.

If Lowton is an exception fine, but most RB's (and other players) are in the lower leagues because they are not good enough for the PL.

Or Mike no one has been brave enough to give them a chance or savvy enough to spot hidden talent.

I accept that and hope PL has spotted some "hidden talent" but my logic is still sound. I am sure that most premiership clubs keep an eye on the lower leagues for players with potential. But those that have the cash/wealth obviously can afford to buy in proven quality - i accept that cannot be our strategy.

PL has obviously because of long term budget/wage restrictions decided to go down this route. So whether it's bravery or forced necessity is open to question.

If he pulls it off I like many will be delighted as I despise the prima donnas & mercenaries as much as the next fan but it is a risk. It would be very nice to break the mould and start a trend but....

It may shut up the doubters who only want premiership experience all they have to do is look at Lowton and then look at the carthorse we had at right back last season for more money and higher wages.

Why should doubters "shut up"? there is nothing wrong with having doubts.

If Lowton is an exception fine, but most RB's (and other players) are in the lower leagues because they are not good enough for the PL.

Or Mike no one has been brave enough to give them a chance or savvy enough to spot hidden talent.

I accept that and hope PL has spotted some "hidden talent" but my logic is still sound. I am sure that most premiership clubs keep an eye on the lower leagues for players with potential. But those that have the cash/wealth obviously can afford to buy in proven quality - i accept that cannot be our strategy.

PL has obviously because of long term budget/wage restrictions decided to go down this route. So whether it's bravery or forced necessity is open to question.

If he pulls it off I like many will be delighted as I despise the prima donnas & mercenaries as much as the next fan but it is a risk. It would be very nice to break the mould and start a trend but....

I must admit I have been a bit of a hypocrite during the transfer window. For years I have wanted Villa to give youth a chance, that being our own or those from lower divisions. When we do I start to go all doom and gloom and expect the worst.

I think seeing teams in and around us spending big money on players got me caught on the wave of relegation fear. I'm not saying now I know for sure now we will be safe after one good performance but I do see some excitement ahead for us this season. If we do go down it won't be without a fight which is something I didn't see last season.

UTV

Of corse a good performance against a good team away is going to improve optomisum. I'm still hopful if a little uneasy about the squad, but I have great confidence in Lambert. Good result with a great performance with Bennett, Dunne, Benteke, Albrighton and a fully fit Gabby to come.

If we can beat Swansea, it could really kick start our season, we need that first win and fast, then I will really start to believe in this team.

Anyone know the squad numbers of the new players?
Hmmm. This seems to be the current position.

Brett Holman - 14

Karim El Ahmadi - 8

Matthew Lowton - 34

Brad Guzan - 22

Ron Vlaar - 4

Joseph Bennett - Not Known

Jordan Bowery - Not Known

Ashley Westwood - 15

Christian Benteke - 20

The last 4 in that list aren't on the OS squad list yet. It is still showing Makoun as a Villa player with the No. 17 shirt so I guess one of the un-numbered newbies will get that.

After seeing the Newcastle game and bearing in mind what players we bought during the transfer window, I'm very optimistic about the rest of the season.

I don't think we'll finish any higher than 10th, but we won't be relegated either. But where we finish doesn't really matter to me this season (aslong as we aren't relegated of course). What matters is that we have a young and hungry squad that is willing to put the effort in. And they'll only get better as time goes by. Last season it felt like we had a lot of players who really didn't want to be here. With Lambert in charge and with the signings he has made, that feeling is long gone!

I'm happy enough. We aren't the first, and won't be the last, club to change direction and have to live within our means. Taking this into account, I think we have a good manager and hopefully he's given the time to build us into a decent enough team.

I think if we survive this year, we'll have more money next year (from the new TV deal) to push on and battle around the Europa league places. This is probably where we should be in the current environment, and I'll be happy enough with it.

I think we'll avoid relegation this year and I´m willing to tolerate results like the Everton game as long as there's a clear direction in how we want to go about things. I'm all for the "young and hungry" approach and certainly prefer the style of football which Lambert seems to want to promote. I just hope we have more Newcastle days rather than Everton days. Looking forward to seeing the new signings in action and more excited about all things Villa than I have been in a long long time. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

I can honestly see us finishing between 8th and 12th, I think we enough quality to be safe from relegation. Watching the Villa has become exciting again! The way our players passed and moved just shows how good a manager Lambert is considering that with Mcleish we did not hold the ball for more than ten seconds.

I would like to say that after the first two performances I really thought we would go down this year even though I was excited about getting younger, hungrier players in, especially those that want to play for Villa. The amount of money our club has wasted on has beens or just plain rubbish over the last decade or so has been mind blowing.

The Newcastle game to me was a relevation, the first 10 minutes or so I was getting really annoyed at the lack of movement and some of the passing was woeful, then suddenly it seemed to click, confidence grew and we started to look like a football team again for the first time in 3 years.

What impressed me the most was the effort and energy the players showed and even though he was at fault for their goal, Holman was everywhere breaking up their play in the midfield. I haven't seen a Villa side play 90 mins at that intensity for a very long time, including during the MON era. We have been a team that could only play for 45 mins for many seasons and last season that came down to about 15 mins.

If we can keep that intensity and effort for most of our matches this season we will be fine. There will be plenty of losses and big ones at that, but the football will be exciting. The youngsters need time, they will make plenty of mistakes but they need time to learn. I also believe the likes of Clark and Bannan need a good run in the team this season, not just an odd game here and there, to see if they can hack it at this level.

All in all I think this season should be exciting and it will be a pleasure to watch the Villa again.

Â