September Optimism Gauge

maqroll

That was a very, very important game for us (both fans and players) psychologically. Lose that and heads would have dropped, fear crept in.

But performance-wise that was a real confidence booster. We will lose games this season for sure, but we have the makings of a team here. Good work Mr. Lambert.

Feeling very positive about our season now, think we will finish anywhere between 8th-15th but as long as we perform like today. One is can complain. Lamberts signings so far look great, so hopefully the ones who haven't kicked a ball for us yet can do the same. Feeling good this evening.

UTV

Really this thread should put to one side and revisited once we have played about 10 matches and have a more consistent view of the squad's capabilities. Good stuff today, though.

Not really, we can talk about our 10th match in say.. the 'November Optimism Gauge' thread? :lol:

It may shut up the doubters who only want premiership experience all they have to do is look at Lowton and then look at the carthorse we had at right back last season for more money and higher wages.

Why should doubters "shut up"? there is nothing wrong with having doubts.

If Lowton is an exception fine, but most RB's (and other players) are in the lower leagues because they are not good enough for the PL.

Or Mike no one has been brave enough to give them a chance or savvy enough to spot hidden talent.

That was a very, very important game for us (both fans and players) psychologically. Lose that and heads would have dropped, fear crept in.

But performance-wise that was a real confidence booster. We will lose games this season for sure, but we have the makings of a team here. Good work Mr. Lambert.

Indeed, exactly what I came on here to post :thumb:

look at Lowton and then look at the carthorse we had at right back last season for more money and higher wages.

this.. really like Lowton, hope Bennett do what he's doing on the left.

Superstar in the making

Wonder why we performed so much better just 8 days after the Everton debacle?

I just think they've had more time together, more time to learn PL's style, and the win midweek plus the signings Friday probably gave them a boost.

Can't wait for Benteke and Bennett to get in there so we can finally see what we can do, at least until January.

For conceding a game tying goal...it really felt more like a win today.

Wonder why we performed so much better just 8 days after the Everton debacle?
The conspiracy theorist in me says he deliberately selected a poor team for the Everton game and sent them out ill-prepared so as to force Lerner's hand and make him spend some money on transfers and drop his sell-to-buy approach.

But that's just crazy thinking....

Agreed. We were as good as I could have hoped for today - barring one of our other chances getting past Krul. 1-1 was an excellent result and our next three matches after the international break will give our first win and hopefully one or two more.

So much negativity about our signings: the fact is we were in the top half of the league for net spending. I'm very optimistic about what they can achieve. I don't care where the players are bought from - La Liga or League Two - once they have a Villa shirt on, that's all I need. I would prefer one of Lambert's picks from League Two with the right personality with the right attitude on the right wages to an overpaid star that doesn't want to be at Villa. We're not going to win the league so let's not spend like we are going to.

Optimism = 9/10

It may shut up the doubters who only want premiership experience all they have to do is look at Lowton and then look at the carthorse we had at right back last season for more money and higher wages.

Why should doubters "shut up"? there is nothing wrong with having doubts.

If Lowton is an exception fine, but most RB's (and other players) are in the lower leagues because they are not good enough for the PL.

Or Mike no one has been brave enough to give them a chance or savvy enough to spot hidden talent.

Very good point TRO!

Decent last 2 games and can see what he is trying to do which was always going to take time . I think the new signings look very promising . Guzan keeping the shirt is very significant and PL has shown no one is safe hope Bent will take note of that .

Still think though 14th to mid table is as good as we can achieve this season .

Decent last 2 games and can see what he is trying to do which was always going to take time . I think the new signings look very promising . Guzan keeping the shirt is very significant and PL has shown no one is safe hope Bent will take note of that .

Yesterday was a top 8 performance... If United had the same chances we did, they would have won it 4-1. Bent, ireland and Weimann all should have scored. If we start finish off our chances, we will be absolutely fine and in the top half of the table...

Would be pleased with that this season MM. Of course we would all like to be challenging for Europe etc but after the turbulence of the last couple of seasons just steadying the ship, playing a better brand of football & continuing freshening up the squad is great progress for me.

Really looking forward to seeing the new guys play. It will no doubt take several more games before we start to see any real evidence of their impact however so the key is to pick up some results along the way such as at Newcastle & then i think we can all start to look upwards for a change.

Interesting times

It was always going to take a bit of time, a bit o luck and a lot of renewed confidence for the team to start picking up points playing in a new style with a largely new line up.

Not suprised by Guzan selection, he would have had a long chat with Lambo when he resigned, Given made a mistake and Guzan did well in the cup game, so would have been a tad upset if he didn't start, it should now be his place to lose. In fact with the numbers we now have in the squad I'd expect the same to apply to all of our players.

I was obviously disappointed by the opening 2 results but in all my optimism levels havn't been dented from where they were when Lambo got the job, I'm looking forward to seeing what the new signings can do.

Maybe I'm running high on the yesterday's game but I think we're gonna give couple rude awakenings in this season. Villa for me seems like slumbering lion who's just awakening up, of course we're gonna lose some games, sometimes probably quite badly but we're gonna take more steps forward than backward.

I really like what Lambert said about getting young players that you never know how good you/they are gonna be if no one gives them chance to show what they can do, and that is wrong in the english teams in premier league nowdays - there have been so few young players who's actually been given chance to show how good they are so no wonder there's lack of upcoming talent for national team when they won't get chances even in club teams.

Yesterday was a top 8 performance... If United had the same chances we did, they would have won it 4-1. Bent, ireland and Weimann all should have scored. If we start finish off our chances, we will be absolutely fine and in the top half of the table...

I am just trying to be realistic watched Southampton in 2 games and to me they look a decent side and have that hunger about them . I see a clutch of clubs where they are about where we are at the moment . Asking 8 young players to maintain consistent performance in the prem is a lot . I never got carried away with the first 2 games and I am not going to get carried away by our last 2 positive ones either . I think it's going to be a tough old season for us but will be more enjoyable than last . Anything above 14th for me would be a mssive bonus . West Brom are an example of a side who look pretty decent to me and settled be surprised if we finished above them this season .

Â