September Optimism Gauge

maqroll

We needed lots of new players. We got lots of new players.

May not be stars yet but when you can't afford a team of stars the thing to have is teamwork. That is what we will have.

1980-81 I would argue Ipswich had the names / stars in their team , we had teamwork

I am optimistic, happy with the signings. Would have liked maybe one more experienced player (Dempsey and Berbatov - depending on wages - were two steals of the window) but I have faith in Lambert, he isn't an idiot he would not have signed these players if they were shit. Just look at last week, the 3 players he signed were 3 of our better players.

Short term - its going to be a bumpy ride. !

but towards November time - I am hopeful that we will see some signs of a recovery and start winning the bulk of our home games.

If Nzogbia is what £10m of proven premiership experience gives you - then I would rather go without. I like the young guys that Lambert has brought in - its exactly what he did at Norwich - and he had the same doubters - by the end of the season there was a clamour to buy Holt, Pilkington, Ruddy - lets just hope it works out the same for Westwood, Bennett, Lowton -

2 positions that concern me ate goalkeeper and CB.

Given hasn't looked great so far - and I have yet to be convinced about Guzan.

Not convinced about Clark - we leak to many goals when he is the team. TBH - I can't wait for Dunne to return. Given our young side - his experience will be invaluable.

Think we will stay up - and finish 12th 14th

Always optimistic. You have to be.

I would also like to think that PL will have a positive effect on certain players who were seriously underacheiving last season. He needs to get in their heads and replace the negativity with belief.

I'm optimistic for the season - Lambert has been backed, there's no doubt about that now, and he's bought in the type of players that he wants and who he thinks will do the business for us. I have faith in him and I like what he's doing and the way he is going about doing it.

Very much how I feel.

We didn't just need lots of players. That indicates that signing anyone as long as we sign plenty of them is a success.

We needed lots of improvement, we didn't get lots of improvement.

We did get £22m of spend and 8 new signings so that is a big investment in both transfer fees and wages.

What the money was spent on, and the 'lack of improvement' will have been the managers decision.

I'd say he could have bought few less youngsters and instead gone for a bigger name like Adam Johnson if he'd wanted to go in that direction but it doesn't seem to be Lambert's style.

Why does it have to be one extreme?

Why is it either buy cheap lower league talent or spend £100 million?

Is there no Inbetween? Could we not snap up young talent and sign some quality?

While signing Westwood and Bennett to build for the future could we not balance that with players like Adam Johnson?

I don't see why it has to be the cheap gamble or the ridiculous high spending.

I'll use this as an example. What do you think would be so much better about us having him ? City weren't interested in using him, England have hardly used him, he has scored a few flash goals and little else, yet would demand a huge fee and huge wages.

In fact you could easily make a case that he is NOT an experienced player at all.

Assuming he even wanted to come to the Midlands and a Club who have had a dire couple of years.

And assuming that he plays a role the Manager wants. And assuming the Manager is keen on his attitude, his application , and the example he would set the younger ones.

And so on. Liverpool did great with their 'experienced' players last year didn't they ? Carrol, Adam, Downing - what an advert for your approach they are !!!!!

I don't understand why you would be so much happier with that, than with what is a clear plan to have young hungry players (who the Manager has identififed as having the ability, temperament and character).

Hi Big John.

I know your concerns are genuinely held, but I would be interested in your response to this.

We needed lots of improvement, we didn't get lots of improvement.

I'm sorry but you can't simply say that - you have no idea how these players will do and how they will fit into the team, none at all. You can't just say they haven't improved us without giving them a chance, it's absurd at best.

We spent what £20m ? And got a CB, CM, CF (all internationals) and a winger from one of the UKs best academies/feeder clubs and a rookie CF and a LB. so 6 players whereas we could have easily spunked that on 2 prima donas

Still think we'll largely struggle this season, but if we stay up, things should be positive for the future.

Completely agree with this! If we can get this season out the way safely I think the next one will be cracker.

I'm a bit sick and tired of waiting for a good season though, 3 years on the bounce of being in "transition"... whatever happens this year we should stick with Lambert. Really don't want a fourth season of transition.

Why does it have to be one extreme?

Why is it either buy cheap lower league talent or spend £100 million?

Is there no Inbetween? Could we not snap up young talent and sign some quality?

While signing Westwood and Bennett to build for the future could we not balance that with players like Adam Johnson?

I don't see why it has to be the cheap gamble or the ridiculous high spending.

Adam Johnson had scored 2 goals in the premier league and was a Championship player when Man City bought him.

Had we bought him then, would you be unhappy as this was a player that hardly conquered the to league?

Yep another transition season. Wonder what excuse will be for another one next season?
There won't be one next season, hopefully. We should be able to go into next season with the same manager for the first time in 4 years.

Agree if we go down it won't be because of lambert and we should stick with him regardless

So who is to blame if we go down then? He's signed a number of new players, changed the style we play (of which I am a big fan of by the way) and sounds like he's restructuring other things within the club to like the scouting operation.

If we go down then it is very much because of Lambert I'm afraid. Obviously the players will have their share of the blame too but considering Lambert bought many of them and it's his formation and tactics they're following, the manager has a huge chunk of the responsibility. I'm not saying I don't like Lambert, or even that if we did go down that I would want him replaced, however.

I'm not so optimistic. I like the idea of buying young players who want to fight tooth and nail to wear the shirt, but they need to be complemented by quality and experienced level-heads. We didn't bring in many of those, certainly not as many as we needed. I also think that putting too much pressure on all the young players we have in the team could potentially harm their development.

It's not so much that I don't think we'll play some decent football, I just think the league this season is a lot tougher and more competitive than last. I also think that many of the teams around us strengthened very well in the window and bought some players that we should definitely have been looking at.

I know we're trying to get a young team together and get the wage bill down. What I don't understand is why we seem to be one of the only teams struggling to control their wage bill. Plenty of teams around us and what we would consider lesser teams have sustainable wage bills but have a number of quality players and strength in depth. I don't understand why we seem to be struggling with this when others don't. We don't exactly have a big squad either.

In fact, a comparison to AJ when Man City bought him would be Peter Whittingham. Played in the prem to minimal effect but excelled in the Championship, but you wouldn't want PW.

Judging someone purely on where they've come from without seeing them play for AVFC is doing them a huge disservice.

I for one am extremely excited for this season, the only time I have been for nearly three years now. Houllier I knew wasn't the right fit and 'Eck was just a bag of shit.

We're building for the future and Lambert will be here for the long term, I'm optimistic that we can climb up the table next year and I'm certain we will avoid the drop this year. 13th pos.

Â