September Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Results on the pitch have been poor, as has been the level of play...sitting firmly at the bottom of the table with a trip to Newcastle next up...I think a point will be a fantastic result, to be honest.

On the bright side, there were a few more signings that in theory address our needs...none of them set the pulse racing, but Benteke could end up being a steal.

I like the focus on youth, but there is an inherent danger in relying on so many players with little to no Premiership experience.

But hopefully Lambert knows what he's got to do to make the pieces fit.

I think it will be a slow slog up the table, but I'm not expecting much better than 12th place at this point.

Fingers crossed the team stay free of injuries, and maybe Lerner will have some Christmas spirit and buy us a shiny new present in January.

Interesting times...

UTV!

I still think we are going down. Bent,Ireland and Nzogbia will trigger their relegation release clauses all our high earners will be off the books then. Dunne will also leave.

We will look to rebuild and get promoted at the 1st attempt and have a decent season back in the prem in the 2014/15 season.

We may even win the championship next year.

I am dreading the remainder of this season

We'll be bottom half all season, I'm fairly sure of that. Tough to judge the new signings as they are all unknowns, but that in itself brings a degree of excitement. My prediction is that we'll take a few beatings until Christmas - I wouldn't be surprised to see us bottom 5 - but that we'll kick on in the second half of the season and finish 10-14th with reasons for optimism next year. We'll see, but hey, I'm looking forward to it a lot more than last year.

Onwards and upwards!

feeling fairly good. Crucially the team has a freshness and a manager I can get behind. Looking forward to seeing all thee hungry lads go for it. I know it will be tougher short term than is preferably but I dont mind, I think there's a real sense of a long term project with these players - the appointment of the scout etc that gives me faith we'll be ok.

We'll be bottom half all season, I'm fairly sure of that. Tough to judge the new signings as they are all unknowns, but that in itself brings a degree of excitement. My prediction is that we'll take a few beatings until Christmas - I wouldn't be surprised to see us bottom 5 - but that we'll kick on in the second half of the season and finish 10-14th with reasons for optimism next year. We'll see, but hey, I'm looking forward to it a lot more than last year.

Onwards and upwards!

This

i think we'll lose sunday, swansea could go either way and then southampton / baggies are massive games, i think we can get 5/7 points this month

i still think we'll be ok over the course of the season, there are certainly a group of equally if not worse teams than us again and with Randy's cash and whats happening with the tv money next year i just cant see him standing still if we are struggling still at xmas

finishing above sunderland and the baggies is my target, **** rocket polishers the lot of em, it'll be hard but thats about 10th IMO

Very pessimistic - I think we will do well to avoid the drop.

I cannot understand why anyone thinks we have done well on the transfer market - am I missing something?

Who the f**k have we signed.? It's embarrassing when you consider we could have signed or even loaned some quality. But no, we have to sign players from the lower leagues! I am all for building for the future, but PL teams need some proven quality to challenge for even top 10.

Lambert maybe have potential as a manager, but he will have to be a miracle worker to turn this championship quality squad into anything of note.

I hope I am wrong.

:(:(:(

I'm up for this now, still wish these signings had been made before the season began but that's how this stupid window works.

Not the foggiest idea on any of our new players in fact I had never seen Vlaar, KEA or Lowton until a couple of weeks ago and I'm impressed by all 3 so I'm not concerned that I have (I'm guess the same for most of us) not seen any of this weeks signings play as Paul Lambert seems to be able to spot what he wants in a player.

Don't get to hung up on where they come from if they have "it" then this manager will bring it out of them. I think we all understand this season isn't going to be easy we are going to have some difficult times but I'm excited for the 1st time in ages about what the future for Villa holds.

I'm up for this now, still wish these signings had been made before the season began but that's how this stupid window works.

Not the foggiest idea on any of our new players in fact I had never seen Vlaar, KEA or Lowton until a couple of weeks ago and I'm impressed by all 3 so I'm not concerned that I have (I'm guess the same for most of us) not seen any of this weeks signings play as Paul Lambert seems to be able to spot what he wants in a player.

Don't get to hung up on where they come from if they have "it" then this manager will bring it out of them. I think we all understand this season isn't going to be easy we are going to have some difficult times but I'm excited for the 1st time in ages about what the future for Villa holds.

Amazing - if McLeish had made these signings, people would want him hung, drawn and quartered. I am glad he has gone but equally I am surprised at the amount of faith people have in Paul Lambert.

we've signed some players who are happy to be here and hungry to do something as opposed to the wastes of space we already have who offer plenty of experience but for 90 minutes every saturday look like they really couldnt give a ****

id rather some kid from chesterfield who cost 2/5 of **** all to be out there trying his hardest and coming up short than watching the £10m waste of a good wank that is nzogbia in expectation that its finally the week that he comes good

Very pessimistic - I think we will do well to avoid the drop.

I cannot understand why anyone thinks we have done well on the transfer market - am I missing something?

Who the f**k have we signed.? It's embarrassing when you consider we could have signed or even loaned some quality. But no, we have to sign players from the lower leagues! I am all for building for the future, but PL teams need some proven quality to challenge for even top 10.

Lambert maybe have potential as a manager, but he will have to be a miracle worker to turn this championship quality squad into anything of note.

I hope I am wrong.

:(:(:(

I hope you are wrong Mike.

To be honest Mike know one really knows, But I sense that Lambert has genuine faith in what he is doing, just like saunders did.

We have tried the signing established players bit and it has not worked, and whilst we have been signing overpriced/overrated (imo) players, the teams like Swansea, Fulham, Albion, Stoke, Everton have just bought modestly and over taken us.

Something, has to change and I think PL is on the right lines now, but hey we will have to see.

I'm happy we are addressing the failed culture of the past and trying some thing new.

I also believe there has been a distaste from the fans of some of these prima donna players of recent seasons who are just coasting through games and have no real passion for AVFC.

All things being equal the fans will get behind these lads and will give them the support, unlike the air of cynicism that has been in evidence to wards the meal ticket merchants.

I feel a sense of change for the better..... fingers crossed and a prevailing wind.... we might be dishing out a few surprises in the near future.

Sometimes a couple of heavy signings can result in their form being diluted rather than them lifting us..... I think we needed c8 signings to change things.

My advice to all Villa Fans is....forget the league table.

just watch the game and support the lads to the full and enjoy watching the boys turn in to men.

If the quality on the pitch is right and the performances improve ( both individually and collectivelly)the results will come and the league table will take care of itself.

then that will be the time to glance up at the League table.

Amazing - if McLeish had made these signings, people would want him hung, drawn and quartered. I am glad he has gone but equally I am surprised at the amount of faith people have in Paul Lambert.

I'm not usually a rude person so I'll try not to be so now but don't use my words to make a **** point that has **** all to do with what I meant or wrote, ok.

This topic has nothing to do with Mcleish but answering you post he had no plan and no style of football that I could associate with the team club I love and also no foresight to sign players that might help improve the team so your point is meaningless.

If Mcleish had made these signings this place would have gone in to meltdown.

One has been a disaster over and again in recent years, the other a success, that is one significant difference.

Â