Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood is ok(ish) for where we are, he does the simple basic things and nothing more.

He's not making us a better team, but he's at least not actively making us worse unlike Gabby, Andi & N'Zogbia

• Like 1

Westwood and Sanchez will make a good midfield pairing. It's what is ahead of them that needs sorting. I'd also prefer Sanchez to play as the deepest midfielder as he clearly gets fatigued and better suits the deep role with his physique.

You wouldn't play delph?
Ye I would but I'm more thinking about long term. I hope Westwood, Sanchez and Delph are the midfield next week.

Our entire midfield has 1 assist between them all season.  2, if you include Kieran Richardson.  That's unbelievably pathetic.

For the next game I wouldn't be against both Westwood and Cleverley being dropped. 

It would be interesting to Sanchez and Delph in midfield with 2 wingers and 2 up front.

The less central midfielders offering no goals and no assists in the team the better!

Yes id agree Rots, I like Westwood but he always seems to need to take an extra nudge which slows us down and is one factor in our lack of fluidity. Really good example was in one Benteke shot in second half (deflected a bit and saved from edge of area) it was quite a nice move (one of very few) and was crying out for a first time pass from Ash but he inexplicably took a touch I can only assume it is hard wired in, he did in fact manage to bumble it through to Benteke but the moment was gone.

I think in effort to jump start our woeful scoring record id go Sanchez and Delphi deep with Cole, presumably Gill and fingers crossed someone else new behind Benteke.

Edited by villaglint

I think he's more reliable than Sanchez and he's not only able to see a forward pass but execute it as well.

Does the 'C' stand for a middle name?

(and is your last name 'Lambert'?) :D

Not sure why Westwood divides opinion, he is a neat and tidy player with an eye for a pass.  The problem is there is two people in a pass, the passer and the receiver.  At Villa, the receiver only seems to be moving in the middle third, the final third sees a stationary Benteke and not much more.  Its alright having full backs provide width, but only if they are supported by overlaps, that doesn't happen.

Without wittering on, there is no movement from the front three and no midfielders running with or beyond the ball.  Means we go from side to side and not much more.  Need to play a two up there ala John Carew/ Gabby.  Make the opposition play deep to contain Gabby and let the big man do the knockdowns on the edge of the box.  Its a bit GT but it puts the opposition on the back foot and we can move the whole team forward!

Our entire midfield has 1 assist between them all season. 2, if you include Kieran Richardson. That's unbelievably pathetic.

Been saying for a while that it's up there with the worst midfields in prem history.

Without doubt the main issue with the team (away from the manager) and has been for the past two years,

Awful!

Our entire midfield has 1 assist between them all season. 2, if you include Kieran Richardson. That's unbelievably pathetic.

Been saying for a while that it's up there with the worst midfields in prem history.

Without doubt the main issue with the team (away from the manager) and has been for the past two years,

Awful!

Completely agree.  Westwood and Cleverley are just utterly anonymous.  Neat and tidy, but with just about zero output worthy of the name.

Westwood is like Carrick, does the simple things well. He's not the problem, hopefully we sign Gil and he's the answer to our attacking midfield problem. If we get the balance right we'll be ok,  a midfield of Westwood, Cleverley, Cole and Sanchez is not going to work. Cole of 5 years ago yes but he's legs have gone now. Cleverley is just being played out of position. But he's not the answer either. 

He's pretty much our only midfielder who can make a forward pass. He attempted more forward passes against Leicester than Cleverley has in his whole time here. In the first 20 mins or so when we actually looked half threatening before falling apart, he was the main reason for that. Always looks forward as soon as he gets the ball, not his fault that the 3 forwards are always standing next to each other motionless.

• Like 1

The thing with neat and tidy players like Scholes, Pirlo or even someone like Carrick is that you have to have movement around you.

Pirlo has Pogba and Vidal - probably two of the most athletic and powerful players in Serie A.

Scholes had Ronaldo, Valencia, Rooney towards the end of his career, all of them a pretty incredible athletes (apart from Rooney maybe :))

Carrick is the same now with Young, Valencia, Rooney, Falcao etc, they all have good movement and probably cover a lot of ground between them.

And my last example is Barry in his last year with us, who had Young, Downing and Milner who all added manoeuvrability to the side.

Villa unfortunately at this moment, can't afford that luxury as we play far too narrow and our lack of a good left wing back (Aly is a good full back), severly weakens our side as we're completely lop-sided.

Our front three in Gabby, Benteke and Weimann are also (disappointingly) static, so our outballs are always played to forwards with their backs to goal.

I think the main problem is that we're in between two styles of football and our personnel don't really allow that adaptability to capitalise on either.  We're no longer athletic enough to be a good counter attacking team - we also have zero natural wingers in the team.  And by the same token, we don't have enough technique in the squad and footballing brains to implement a passing, possession based game.

And that's where I think Lambert must improve.  He must ask himself where we're going, does he want possession based football?  And who are the players to get us playing that style.

• Like 3

Westwood is like Carrick, does the simple things well. He's not the problem, hopefully we sign Gil and he's the answer to our attacking midfield problem. If we get the balance right we'll be ok,  a midfield of Westwood, Cleverley, Cole and Sanchez is not going to work. Cole of 5 years ago yes but he's legs have gone now. Cleverley is just being played out of position. But he's not the answer either. 

Westwood does some of the simple things well but if we're going to get the balance of midfield right IMO both him and Cleverley should miss out.

Neither does enough defensively and neither offers enough offensively.

Get Delph and Sanchez in the middle with 2 wingers and 2 up top. Simples!

• Like 1