Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood could sit in the middle of the pitch with a pot of tea and write poetry for 90 minutes and still be as effective as he is right now. It's like a void there.

People said the same about Petrov. Different levels of player, obviously, but I think the point still stands.

He does a job, he probably just needs to improve his all-round game to get noticed more.

Me four.

Good player, always thinks one pass ahead and moves for the return.

Does need an enforcer behind him as neither him or Delph are DMs (seem to recall having this same conversation about Delph 18 months ago!)

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1

Me four.

Does need an enforcer behind him as neither him or Delph are DMs (seem to recall having this same conversation about Delph 18 months ago!)

Spot on. Always available for a pass and offers an option to those around him. Very underrated in my opinion.

Me four.

This is why he always does the pointing. He sees passes that others in the team don't, and when he makes a simple pass he's giving it to a teammate in a better position to make a forward pass generally. He's trying to point out that pass to them.

• Like 2

In nearly two years I am still yet to see anything to get excited about.

I don't want to turn into Con, but here's some GIFs:

Gabby_2.gif

Plus a post from this thread in October:

Westwood's pass to set up Gabby's cross to Benteke versus Rotherham

Benteke1a_medium.gif

Ashley Westwood cross for Agbonlahor against Everton

Agbonlahor_Goal_1_medium.gif

Plus his pass that set up Benteke's goal v Liverpool last season (which I can't find), and the many much simpler and calmer passes he makes. He is a very good passer when confident.

The main problem with Westwood is that he is relied upon to much to be our DM, which he isn't very good at, and it seems to knock his confidence so he goes into his shell with his passing, so doesn't play the better, more piercing passes that he can do. If he had someone next to him who did the dirty work for him, I'm fully confident he would be much better going forward and get more assists, but currently it seems he's holding back as he's looks worried about leaving himself exposed defensively. It also doesn't help when the full backs bypass the midfield and go straight for Benteke.

He does occasionally execute some telling passes, but for me does not impose himself on the game enough.

The fact that so many people say about Westwood and El Ahmadi that their work goes unnoticed to me is not a good thing - if it is that good it should be noticeable.

The midfield needs to be imposing, not unnoticed.

• Like 1