Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I like Westy but I think he has the lowest ceiling out of all our midfielders. Will always be steady and consistent, but never brilliant.

I think LITERALLY the complete opposite of this.

So: "I hate Westy but I don't think he has the highest ceiling of all our midfielders. Will never be steady or consistent, but always brilliant."

Or did you mean it slightly differently? :)

I meant I think he has the highest ceiling out of all our midfielders. Will not just be steady and consistent but will be brilliant.

Westwood is a great water carrier. He keeps things simple & keeps the ball moving but also has a good eye for a pass too. He looks to me like the type of player that could easily have slotted into many of those very great Liverpool sides of the 70's & early 80's who were just so good at keeping it simple & keeping the ball moving.

Westwood is an extremely important cog in the Villa system & vastly under rated as his simple style often goes unnoticed  & flys under the radar of many observers.

I think the real clue is his conspicuous by absence. Does anybody really believe Bradford would have beaten us over 2 legs had Westwood not been Cup tied?

Westwood is a great water carrier. He keeps things simple & keeps the ball moving but also has a good eye for a pass too. He looks to me like the type of player that could easily have slotted into many of those very great Liverpool sides of the 70's & early 80's who were just so good at keeping it simple & keeping the ball moving.

Westwood is an extremely important cog in the Villa system & vastly under rated as his simple style often goes unnoticed  & flys under the radar of many observers.

I think the real clue is his conspicuous by absence. Does anybody really believe Bradford would have beaten us over 2 legs had Westwood not been Cup tied?

I thought there was a marked difference too in the two halves of the Luton game.

For first hour we had Gary Gardner playing in this role. To be fair to Gardner this is not his position so its no slight on him but very often we struggled to build the play from defence to attack. There was a lot of passing around the defence into midfield and back to defence.

As soon as Westwood came on everyone had an option and he was linking the play into the attack. Was a very noticeable change for me.

Again I'm not having a go at Gardner because I don't see this as his game but it was nice to see how effective Westwood is at what he does.

He's played some brilliant passes last season. Even against Crewe (not an amazing indicator but still) he was far more expansive than steady and consistent.

I see him more as somebody who will always be steady and consistent but has that pass in his locker.

That's sort of what I was trying to say, albeit poorly.

He won't be this exciting, game changing player, but when he's not in the team, they more or less fall apart.

I agree with everything you say other than your opening line V-R.  For me a 'water carrier' is a euphemism for the lesser-gifted players whereas Westwood is arguably our most gifted midfielder and as you go on to say, undoubtedly one of the most important players in the team.  That's not a water carrier.  Dictionary.com agrees

Water carrier : a football player who is regarded as hard-working and competent but is not a star player

He's played some brilliant passes last season. Even against Crewe (not an amazing indicator but still) he was far more expansive than steady and consistent.

I see him more as somebody who will always be steady and consistent but has that pass in his locker.

That's sort of what I was trying to say, albeit poorly.

He won't be this exciting, game changing player, but when he's not in the team, they more or less fall apart.

He has been game changing at times. The pass to Gabby against Norwich was pretty season affirming even, as if we didn't score then we might be down in the Championship now. 

Westwood gets better the more I see him. He is young too. I think he looks more bulky now so it'll be interesting to see how he progresses this year. I am hopeful. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Nigel Reo Coker or Lee Catermole are more the type of players I'd call "Water Carriers". Westwood to me is more of a Midfield Metronome ( excuse the expression but hopefully you know what I mean ) and his characteristics more similar to Pirlo, Carrick, Xavi etc but obviously not as good. He obviously needed some bedding in time because of the jump in quality of opposition but towards the end of the season, he was certainly showing the ability to play a killer pass or 2 and I expect to see more from him this season.

• Like 1

I not a fan of this water carrier bollocks. I think it came from when Cantona labelled Deschamps this, as he was bitter that he was not in the french team. Deschamps won Serie A 3 times, the Champions League, the European Championship and the World Cup by the way.Cantona was a good footballer but who bottled it at the very highest levels, and then has subjected us to his shit acting for 15 years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our Carrick for sure. Very effective. Not the player you want on the pitch if your trying to score a late equaliser maybe but to see out a win and to make sure you dont concede a late goal he will be crucial to us for this season and hopefully many others. I love this lad, very professional too.

Guzan
Lowton Okore
    Westwood

Benteke

is the makings of a future spine to our team which could be superb. Not saying the others wont fit in but I think these are our key players going forwards over the next few seasons if we can keep hold of them.

Edited by HalfTimePost