Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I would like a bit more consistency from Westwood. In certain games he can go missing for longish spells where as Delph and KEA/Sylla seemed to be involved more often during the 90 mins when they start.. However its only a small thing I have noticed, he has done pretty well since joining.

Westwood doesn't go missing, he's always involved, he just does some things that aren't recognised.

I feel that Westwood is the type of player that is appreciated by those that play or have played football.

The guy that does talksport with Darren gough was discussing him and was heaping praise on him.

• Like 3

Westwood doesn't go missing, he's always involved, he just does some things that aren't recognised.

I feel that Westwood is the type of player that is appreciated by those that play or have played football.

The guy that does talksport with Darren gough was discussing him and was heaping praise on him.

He does drift out of games for spells

When we don't have the ball Westwood can seem not to be involved because he's not got the terrier Delph defensive qualities. Doesn't make so many interceptions and tackles. However, just because he's not touching the ball - when the team doesn't have it - doesn't mean he's not involved. He positions himself to block passes. 

Edited by Con

When we don't have the ball Westwood can seem not to be involved because he's not got the terrier Delph defensive qualities. Doesn't make so many interceptions and tackles. However, just because he's not touching the ball - when the team doesn't have it - doesn't mean he's not involved. He positions himself to block passes. 

This is me agreeing with Con.

tumblr_l6lmf1I2qk1qc3ji0.gif

Carrick was the same and he is only getting the recognition now after playing same style for nearly 15 years. even last week Jenas saying he is one of best midfielders he has played with and he has played with some good players

Carrick was the same and he is only getting the recognition now after playing same style for nearly 15 years. even last week Jenas saying he is one of best midfielders he has played with and he has played with some good players

They do a lot of "invisible" and thankless work, similar to Petrov who got a shitload of stick in this very forum in the couple last seasons but we saw how huge hole he left in our midfield when he had to retire.

• Like 1

In fairness I gave Petrov stick myself for a bit as was disappointed for a while he did that well I was expecting the goalscoring midfielder we saw at Celtic and on his debut 

Yes its expectations isn't it? I don't know if MON told him to change his game or just that he got older. Did well for us though. In relation to Westwood he has always said he is a holding midfielder in the Carrick mold.

Agreed with you three times in three days now! Well said Con!

Tipping him for England, whilst id love to see him, lowton & gabby rewarded for there performances, Westwood would be useless in hodgsons ridged 442 formation, not a criticism of westy, but he needs 2 midfielders next too him. He would get absolutely slaughtered by the press, so I hope he gets overlooked until we get a national team manager that knows his arse from his elbow.

Edited by Jimzk5

Tipping him for England, whilst id love to see him, lowton & gabby rewarded for there performances, Westwood would be useless in hodgsons ridged 442 formation, not a criticism of westy, but he needs 2 midfielders next too him. He would get absolutely slaughtered by the press, so I hope he gets overlooked until we get a national team manager that knows his arse from his elbow.

I think this is true

at the moment, but give him a year and he will have matured.

Yeah- but you dont take into account that England could well not qualify, Hodgson gets the sack and a more progressive manager comes in.

Why should Westwood be picked ahead of Carrick (the player Westwood wants to become) anyway?

Why should Westwood be picked ahead of Carrick (the player Westwood wants to become) anyway?

does Carrick even get picked for England starting XI