Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Tipping him for England, whilst id love to see him, lowton & gabby rewarded for there performances, Westwood would be useless in hodgsons ridged 442 formation, not a criticism of westy, but he needs 2 midfielders next too him. He would get absolutely slaughtered by the press, so I hope he gets overlooked until we get a national team manager that knows his arse from his elbow.

Why should Westwood be picked ahead of Carrick (the player Westwood wants to become) anyway?

For the same reason Townsend & Sterling are in the England setup. They're hardly at the best in the country at their position but it's all about looking at potential and to the future I suppose. Mid 30's Carrick or early 20's Westwood both doing a similar role... Hmmm

is 32 mid 30s now?

Thought he was 34. Still 10 years difference near enough. It's the only reason I can see why Sterling is making the cut.

I can't see him choosing Jamaica over England, but I think the FA recognizes it as a possibility and since he hasn't played a competitive match for England yet, he isn't cap tied. I think it's like Zaha in that they're calling him up to keep him from another country, whereas Westwood doesn't have that threat.

Oh and he plays for a "smaller" club. That too.

Edit: If he has played a competitive match then please correct me, but I think all he's played is a friendly.

Edited by Rovers13

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching the FL72 (sky bollocks) preview show, James Scowcroft and that old presenter who does the lower league games discussing Premier League managers signing players from League One. Apparently it doesn't happen anymore, they then discussed David Platt moving from Crewe to Villa and how he didn't look out of place (sound familiar?) Which led to talking about Nick Powell and how he moved to Man Utd but had to drop to the Championship on loan to get a game, therefore proving their point!

Are these guys for real? They had every opportunity to mention Westwood, but as usual lazy, uninformed pundits know very very little.

It just shows how lazily those shows are put together. You would assume a lot of planning and research goes into making a TV show (or rather I would HOPE that it does) but then you watch and realise you could do a show like that by just turning up on the day and giving generic answers to mundane questions. I watched Merse the other day and he also missed a blatant opportunity to use Villa as an example of something someone says doesn't happen any more. I can't remember the exact incident but I can remember being disappointed in 'our' Merse that he hadn't nipped it in the bud.

Just watching the FL72 (sky bollocks) preview show, James Scowcroft and that old presenter who does the lower league games discussing Premier League managers signing players from League One. Apparently it doesn't happen anymore, they then discussed David Platt moving from Crewe to Villa and how he didn't look out of place (sound familiar?) Which led to talking about Nick Powell and how he moved to Man Utd but had to drop to the Championship on loan to get a game, therefore proving their point!

Are these guys for real? They had every opportunity to mention Westwood, but as usual lazy, uninformed pundits know very very little.

Thought the exact same thing when I saw it! I was screaming at the Telly. Shocking really when they are so called experts of the lower leagues and couldn't be bothered mentioning Matty and Ash.

Shocking really. It`s the same thing over here, probably a little bit worse since it`s more limited and we are a small country so only the big teams get mentioned in things like that. This season it has been more positive by villa, but it`s more like "they played great but what did the other team do wrong" and go on from there. Guess it is better then anything but I hate it. Like for example, they had the deadline day when that was on, live for about 7hours. They talked about villa and kozak for about 30 seconds or so, maybe uptil 1 minute but that is being generous. That is insane. 

The whole model for sports/football journalism is broken.  There's no real analysis, certainly, in football and that seems to be the case in every country where I have watched the Premier League.  Is it to do with time and cost restraints at the various TV stations I wonder? As an example, it's far easier for a pundit to come up with a quick opinion on a Bale or Ozil than a Kozak.  The current TV model dictates that you fill airtime as cheaply and quickly as possible which means they endlessly debate the same old players and stuff.  

If anyone listened to Talksport over the summer, all they seemed to focus on was Bale and Arsene Wenger (with a side order of Rooney thrown in for good measure).  The net result of this was hours and hours of cheap programming with the same old fans  phoning in.   In the meantime, Talksport were making a nice little sum flogging adverts every half hour.  Making an hour's show about Villa signing the likes of Lowton and Westwood would require them to get off their arses and do some research into the respective careers and backgrounds of both lads whilst interviewing folk from Crewe and Sheffield as well as Villa.  Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen, but when a resourceful young journalist does eventually decide to follow the story, expect the likes of Talksport and the tabloids' main men etc. to jump on the back of it and recite the article as if it was their own research and opinion.  

It's a lazy, lazy, lazy model for reporting news totally driven by money.

Edited by Macca1888

The whole model for sports/football journalism is broken. There's no real analysis, certainly, in football and that seems to be the case in every country where I have watched the Premier League. Is it to do with time and cost restraints at the various TV stations I wonder? As an example, it's far easier for a pundit to come up with a quick opinion on a Bale or Ozil than a Kozak. The current TV model dictates that you fill airtime as cheaply and quickly as possible which means they endlessly debate the same old players and stuff.

If anyone listened to Talksport over the summer, all they seemed to focus on was Bale and Arsene Wenger (with a side order of Rooney thrown in for good measure). The net result of this was hours and hours of cheap programming with the same old fans phoning in. In the meantime, Talksport were making a nice little sum flogging adverts every half hour. Making an hour's show about Villa signing the likes of Lowton and Westwood would require them to get off their arses and do some research into the respective careers and backgrounds of both lads whilst interviewing folk from Crewe and Sheffield as well as Villa. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen, but when a resourceful young journalist does eventually decide to follow the story, expect the likes of Talksport and the tabloids' main men etc. to jump on the back of it and recite the article as if it was their own research and opinion.

It's a lazy, lazy, lazy model for reporting news totally driven by money.

I can agree in a way, but Adrian Durham on talksport is actually really vocal about Westwood and is always talking him up.