Joe Bennett

Si.

was thinking during the game maybe he would fit into Sherwood system with Bacuna on one side. WOuld need great cover from midfield though

Would also need great cover from the central defenders, goalkeeper, and forwards from what I recall about him.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tim Sherwood assessment of Joe Bennett after week of training

Tim Sherwood has spoken of good first impressions having watched Joe Bennett in training at Bodymoor Heath.

Left-back Bennett joined Villa from Middlesbrough in August 2012.

After two campaigns in claret and blue, he was sent out on a season-long loan to Brighton in August 2014.

And the 25-year-old has enjoyed good reviews following his spell with the Seagulls.

Sherwood elected to bring Bennett back to training before the end of Villa's campaign to assess him ahead of the coming term.

That was the same thinking for the likes of Callum Robinson and Gary Gardner, who were loanees at Preston and Nottingham Forest respectively.

Bennett returned to Bodymoor Heath this week and he's been working hard under the watchful eye of the boss and his coaching staff Kevin MacDonald, Tony Parks, Mark Robson and Seamus Brady.

Sherwood has been delighted by what Bennett has shown.

He said: "Joe has done great.

"I have seen him for a week and he's done very, very well.

"I am now looking forward to seeing him in pre-season."
Edited by packoman

I'd imagine Bennett is the kind of player who would impress in training, he's technically good and pretty quick. But when it comes to actual games he's just not a premier league player IMO.

• Like 1

He looked bad in a dreadful defence. I was one of his harshest critics on here, but from what I had read (admittedly a while ago now) Brighton fans seemed to like him. It's possible that he's developed and cut out the stupid mistakes. It's equally possible that he's found his level and that he'll be a Championship player for the rest of his career. But I'm not averse to giving him a chance this summer to see how he's progressed. 

• Like 1

ive never really rated this streak of p~ss, he doesnt appear to be strong enough or physical enough to hold up against any strong competition, may be more suited to sunday league, we dont need 4 LBs, we just need 2 good ones.

• Like 1

He was playing in a Villa team which was set to soak up pressure and for the outlet to be the full backs. We now have a team which plays as a unit, which isn't so defensive. He could shine - especially considering he is seen as more of an attacking full back (a bit like Bacuna).

• Like 1

Bennett is and always has been an extremely capable footballer even though some of his displays have at times suggested otherwise.

We've not seen the best of him in first team action by a considerable distance in my opinion and some at the club who know far better than I.

The main issues with Bennett have been confidence and belief, at time concentration and being part of a dog shit defence.

Given what Sherwood is seemingly very good at getting in players heads and getting them to just do what they are good at I certainly wouldn't discount him significantly improving Bennett

I'm at least willing to wait and see because just as with Cleverley I suspect there is a far better player than we've seen to date.

• Like 4

he may of played awful at left wing, but hes still better there than left back, lol to be fair, hes not too bad at swinging balls into the box, provided theres no opposition in a 5 metre radius.

Â