Joe Bennett

Si.

Sherwood is hardly going to say, 'he's not very good I don't want him here'. If he's hoping to sell him in the summer. Think he might just be bigging him up to encourage suitors.

A cynic at heart I can't help but feel that the news about Bennet, and the possible new contract to Vlaar are the first signs to that there will be no takeover nor any real money to spend on transfers this summer either.

A cynic at heart I can't help but feel that the news about Bennet, and the possible new contract to Vlaar are the first signs to that there will be no takeover nor any real money to spend on transfers this summer either.

Why? Need a squad don't we?

Bennett is and always has been an extremely capable footballer even though some of his displays have at times suggested otherwise.

We've not seen the best of him in first team action by a considerable distance in my opinion and some at the club who know far better than I.

The main issues with Bennett have been confidence and belief, at time concentration and being part of a dog shit defence.

Given what Sherwood is seemingly very good at getting in players heads and getting them to just do what they are good at I certainly wouldn't discount him significantly improving Bennett

I'm at least willing to wait and see because just as with Cleverley I suspect there is a far better player than we've seen to date.

I've been critical of Bennett in the past, but like you say he was in a terrible defence (as were Vlaar, Baker, and Clark). I'm never keen to right a player off, so if he has improved then he's improved and we could have a starting, or more likely a back up LB there. There were sparks of real talent in his game, like against Chelsea (I think?) he played well.

Sherwood does seem good at getting the best out of players, so I really hope Joe can step up with his help too.

Oh, and welcome back Trent, nice to see your posts :)

Why? Need a squad don't we?

We have a squad, we need to add quality to the starting 11 to move up the table.

Bringing back Bennet as our 3rd choice? LB says to me that we will not spend any big money on a new LB nr4.

Same with Vlaar, he'd be one of 5 CB's, so probably not going to sign CB nr6.

It's all guesswork, maybe we'll sell both Richardson and Cissokho and sign a quality LB while having Bennets as backup?

Willing to see if sherwood can make something from him.

I have always thought he had decent feet, but that's just one aspect/attribute.

I am from the school of thought that full backs defend first and attack second in that order....not sure joe has the natural defensive qualities.

I have always felt lightweight full backs put too much pressure on the rest of the team.....but hey we all have opinions on how a team should be set up.....even managers have differing opinions.

• 1 month later...

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/championship-side-fulham-set-to-move-for-aston-villa-defender/

Championship side Fulham are looking to make a move for Aston Villa left-back Joe Bennett, according to the Mirror.

The 25-year-old had joined Villa from Middlesbrough in the summer of 2012 for a fee of around £3 million, but only made a handful of 30 appearances during his time at Villa park.

He spent the season on loan at Brighton this year as they looked to fill their empty left- back role (now replaced by Gaetan Bong) and made 41 appearances during his stay, but wasn’t overly impressive.

Lowton’s been listed by Villa boss Tim Sherwood this summer as surplus to requirements along with Aly Cissokho and Matthew Lowton, who’s already moved on to Fulham’s Championship rival’s Burnley.

Fulham boss Kit Symons is after a new left back after Kostas Stafylidis returned to Bayer Leverkusen following an unsuccessful loan spell, and wants to bring in competition for academy product Sean Kavanagh this summer

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/championship-side-fulham-set-to-move-for-aston-villa-defender/

Championship side Fulham are looking to make a move for Aston Villa left-back Joe Bennett, according to the Mirror.

The 25-year-old had joined Villa from Middlesbrough in the summer of 2012 for a fee of around £3 million, but only made a handful of 30 appearances during his time at Villa park.

He spent the season on loan at Brighton this year as they looked to fill their empty left- back role (now replaced by Gaetan Bong) and made 41 appearances during his stay, but wasn’t overly impressive.

Lowton’s been listed by Villa boss Tim Sherwood this summer as surplus to requirements along with Aly Cissokho and Matthew Lowton, who’s already moved on to Fulham’s Championship rival’s Burnley.

Fulham boss Kit Symons is after a new left back after Kostas Stafylidis returned to Bayer Leverkusen following an unsuccessful loan spell, and wants to bring in competition for academy product Sean Kavanagh this summer

Just curious as to how 30 equals a 'handful' of appearances..... Pedantic I realise!

Also, I'm sure the fee was less than £3m?

Either way, I deffo think it's time. He's a championship level player.

I remember it being worth £2.75million

problem is, most of the squad are only just championship standard, do we really have time for the new management to re-evaluate what the fans and club already know? that half the team are rubbish.

by the time a decision is made, we could be relegated.

ship out what we know not to be good enough even if it means bigging them up.

problem is, most of the squad are only just championship standard, do we really have time for the new management to re-evaluate what the fans and club already know? that half the team are rubbish.

by the time a decision is made, we could be relegated.

ship out what we know not to be good enough even if it means bigging them up.

Totally agree. They will have had scouts watching him, Sherwood will no doubt have seen him himself, either live or on vid. No time to be messing around, the dead wood is the dead wood no matter what happens transfer wise going forward. Bennett isn't good enough.

Wouldn't shock me if Richardson starts the season as left back. He actually did alright after the QPR horror show but we need better for 40 + games.

Would think that will be one of the lower priorites when you look at positions needing strengthening so expect a late signing.

That means Cissokho and Bennett will be moved on. I forgot aswell that Luna is still our player so him aswell. I think we could generate 5m from those three.

Â