Joe Bennett

Si.

On current form it’s easy to wonder why the hell we spent nearly £3million on him!!

However we all need to give the lad more time. He is young and has not got a proper injury free run in the team yet.

I remember having similar fears about Downing when he arrived from Boro.

OK so Bennett has a few games now so I think it fair to make an initial judgement.

He looks extremely skilful to me - one of the very few players in our squad who can actually go past someone.

His defending looks pretty woeful and he has a lot to learn in this area - obviously a large part of this is down to his lack of experience at the top level.

Question is whether he grows into this position and retains his good attacking instincts - can he grow into our Baines?

Or does he make so many mistakes at the back that he are forced to rethink and he doesn't get the chance to develop that side of his game?

You can apply this same question to several other players too...

He reminds me a lot of Baines when he first played in the Prem. Great going forward and terrible at the back. Dont get me wrong hes nowhere near as good as Baines now or then. However he has the potential. Its up to him if he achieves it.

Welcome Joe, you're the obligatory Villa whipping boy. 3 and a half games in after injury and you're written off. I remember John Robson being slagged off when he first joined us and he turned it round. I'm sure Joe will do the same.

• Like 2

Welcome Joe, you're the obligatory Villa whipping boy. 3 and a half games in after injury and you're written off. I remember John Robson being slagged off when he first joined us and he turned it round. I'm sure Joe will do the same.

It seems the left back position is jinxed bearing in mind how much abuse Warnock received last season. I'm sure Bennett will come good.

i wouldnt say hes the VT scapegoat, Id just say he hasnt played well, at all. I dont see whats wrong in pointing that out.

I wouldnt sell him, I just wouldnt play him while hes not playing well. Look for a big improvement in training, maybe give him some reserve or cup outings.

to be fair, alot of you on here have complimented how good he is in attacking/crossing/passing but noticed how bad he is at defending, maybe he will improve, he can only improve really, but he does seem a little weedy to try and fend off some powerhouse strikers

i think he would be better suited maybe to left wing, that would solve that problem as searching for a new left winger is a little impossible at the moment, then bring in a new LB with stevens as back up LB would be better, a new LB that is slightly older, from the continent maybe, some experience

I agree that Bennett would be good on the left wing and should be nowhere near our defence.

These possession stats back up that view.

Frequency player gets caught in possession.

Once every...

Herd: 393 minutes

Baker: 385 minutes

Vlaar: 298 minutes

Clark: 251 minutes

Lowton: 190 minutes

Stevens: 188 minutes

Lichaj: 80 minutes

Bennett: 58 minutes

Â