Richard Dunne

Zatman

Interesting comments from Dunne about last season.... although I suspect these have been posted elsewhere.

http://bit.ly/nQBsGe

Richard Dunne reckons he has got "a new lease of life" at Aston Villa and believes the entire side have rediscovered their "fight" following manager Gerard Houllier's exit.

The Irish defender saw his form slump as Villa flirted with relegation last season under unpopular Houllier.

Dunne was one of several squad members to clash with Houllier's regime. He had a bust-up with the Frenchman's assistant Gary McAllister and was fined for a boozy row that occurred on a club bonding trip.

But the 31-year-old, who was named in the PFA team of the season in 2009-2010 after joining from Manchester City, has been back to his best so far this term.

Outspoken Dunne claims the arrival of Houllier's successor, Alex McLeish, has given the whole squad a lift.

"Last season wasn't a good one," he said, although Villa eventually finished ninth.

"I didn't enjoy the season and I didn't enjoy coming into the place. I didn't enjoy the atmosphere around the whole club and I think it showed on the weekends.

"Coming back and working with a new manager and a different atmosphere has given some people a new lease of life.

"There is an enthusiasm around the place."

Villa endured some heavy beatings on the road last season at Liverpool and Man City before avoiding relegation.

But they are unbeaten in the new campaign and came from behind twice last weekend to draw 2-2 at Everton.

"What happened last year is in the past and we can all grow from it as a team,"added Dunne.

"I think you can see from the team already that we are not the soft touch who roll over in games that maybe we were last year.

"If we went behind that would basically be it at times.

"I think the game against Everton showed the fight we have got within ourselves, because Goodison Park is a very tough place to go."

Dunne is particularly happy with his own form after also getting rave reviews following Ireland's 0-0 Euro 2012 qualifier in Russia.

"Thankfully this year things have turned around and it does seem to be going better," he said. "But as long as the manager's happy that's the main thing.

"If he comes and tells you that you've done well, then that's good enough for me. I don't need anyone else really."

Thats a prime reason why I'm not going to watch us play this year.

It was obvious that Dunne didn't give a damn last season.

Houllier make you run Dunney?

Just counting his days to his last pay packet in the U.S

This.

50 grand a week and he threw his dummy out of the pram because he didn't like the boss. Boo hoo.

If ever there was a statement of how out of touch a footballer is with the people who turn up to watch the game.....

My drunken eyes initially read your name as Mockery. The irony!

Ah Wednesday (yesterday) The day I avoid posting parcels! Thats giro day isn't it?

Shame no food for the next two weeks.

***edit - or perhaps you are about to roll out for first team training****

Yes well if runners make football teams why don't we bin the squad and get in a load of Kenyans and Ethiopians??? They're good at running aren't they!!!!

Houllier was a clueless old tosser who cared more about running than defending like Dunney just glad to see the back of him!

Well actually I have already been to VP this season but I can also see why people wouldn't go this season after the shambolic performances by individuals last season including Dunne and the general attitude of "we couldn't care less".. that interview says it all to me personally. As i've said many times Dunne/Collins wouldn't be in my team if I had the choice even if they are on form now.

I'm sure the kids saw it all last season too and will be asking themselves where the discipline was.

This.

50 grand a week and he threw his dummy out of the pram because he didn't like the boss. Boo hoo.

If ever there was a statement of how out of touch a footballer is with the people who turn up to watch the game.....

What ridiculous comments. Motivation in any business comes from the top. Whether you earn 50k a week or 50 quid, your boss still has to motivate you. If the atmosphere at the workplace is shit, the output will be shit, salaries don't come into it. And that is down to the boss.

The statement doesn't show how out of touch Dunne is... it shows how footballers are subject to many of the same issues as any other at work as the rest of us.

This.

What ridiculous comments. Motivation in any business comes from the top. Whether you earn 50k a week or 50 quid, your boss still has to motivate you. If the atmosphere at the workplace is shit, the output will be shit, salaries don't come into it. And that is down to the boss.

The statement doesn't show how out of touch Dunne is... it shows how footballers are subject to many of the same issues as any other at work as the rest of us.

Exactly. At least there are still SOME sane people here and there :)

There would be no point employing a manager or coaches really if all footballers were motivated. Clearly for whatever reason he wasn't motivated last season. If we had the money for a couple of new centre backs and a left back then I would replace them however as we appear to not have much I'm happy as long as they carry on giving 100%

Actually neither Houllier and Dunne come out very well from this; Houllier for mis managing the players, and for Dunne acting like a petulant child. And we were just in the middle.

This.

Although Dunne can atone for it by putting in consistently good performances like he used to. Atone for some of it. Last year he was poor.

Whether you are motivated or not, doesn't give you the right to get drunk as a skunk at a get together and abuse other members of staff. That would get most people sacked from their jobs.

Whether you are motivated or not, doesn't give you the right to get drunk as a skunk at a get together and abuse other members of staff. That would get most people sacked from their jobs.

You missed out the bit where he was picking on one our younger players. So we can add bullying to the sorry saga.

We all make mistakes and act stupidly at times, so im happy to let bygones be bygones.

Dunne is supposed to be a senior professional footballer, which is why I don't follow people blaming GH management.

I have never acted like that in my own career and line of business, but then I'm not a mercenary or a piss head. I can also maintain my body fat levels as it happens.

Think its called self-discipline.

This.

Although I did renew I think you are spot on, to come out and say what he has just said shows that.

At what point did he consider the fans and his job when he was throwing his dummy out of the pram? He wouldhave been one of the first out the door if we had been relegated.

I remember the comment he made about having called a truce with the manager to see that we get out of trouble . WTF!! I remember thinking then "oh so what you are saying is that you have been playing like that on purpose!" We actually went on a good run after that. Sorry, but even if he is having a good season I wont forget these comments.

If he keeps playing as well as he is, then that's fine by me.....being a defender under Houllier must've been bloody awful. If Darren Bent were to come out and say that he's unhappy and demotivated under Mcleish, he wouldn't get half of this criticism. In fact all of the criticism would be levelled at Mcleish's door.

Â