Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

It's a pity that there are only 2 games left this season where direct relegation rivals play each other. Ours against Wigan and Sunderland v Southampton. I can see Spurs beating Blunderland on the last day so if Southampton can avoid defeat in the SoL then that keeps the Mackems on a maximum of 39pts and keeps us safe. Because I agree with Rev that we could quite easily lose our final 2, irrespective of our good form. There's a case for us getting a point in both or beating Wigan but if we're looking at worst case scenarios for us then I can see our rivals slipping up too. Our saving grace at this point is the sheer fact that there are 5 teams between us and relegation with 2 games to play. It would in all likelyhood take a monumental set of results in order for every one of them to overtake us in the next week and a half.

I cant believe we got the 6 points we needed from those last 2 and im still worried.

I can see Wigan winning 1-0 tonight. I can then see us losing 0-1 saturday. Newcastle will beat QPR because everyone beats QPR. Norwich at home to the boggies, i fancy them to win that if im honest.

Sunderland - Saints is the big one for me, its lucky Saints have been dragged back into this scrap because they will have to go and win that and I think they can do that which will put us in a healthier position than if sunderland were to win.

Then id expect the Gooners to do a job on Wigan at home even though they didnt last season around the same time in identical circumstances.

Despite our very good record at the DW, with Wigan needing a win to leapfrog us, its just too nerve wrecking to call. Id like to think we could at least draw but you dont know and they are seasoned vets at last day drama!

Im hoping on the others to **** up rather than us doing the business. Be such a relief to kill our worries on Saturday lunchtime!

I think Wigan will handle Playa del Swansea quite easily tonight. I'm fully expecting them to get the three points. Obviously I hope not, but it would be a massive and unexpected surprise if Swansea managed to raise their game to anything like the levels of Wigan's motivation at this point in time.

I don't see Villa losing both games. we'll get 1 point at least. Its all about tonights game. If Wigan don't win we can all be pretty confident that the final game wont matter. Wigan will be knackered by the time they play us anyway. I think we'll win there quite easily/.

Edited by PaulC

Excellent post by The_Rev a page back, makes it a little clearer.
I can't see Newcastle and Norwich both getting the win they need to leapfrog us.
Hoping for a positive result in the Swansea - Wigan game tonight obviously but not the end of the world if they win, just needs one team to finish below us.
We SHOULD be ok, enough teams below us that all need to get points.

If we were safe I'd be cheering for them to stay up right now. For one, it means they'll defy all odds and stay in the PL for a 9th straight season (which Martinez referred to as their "cup"), and also because it'll mean one of Newcastle, Sunderland or Norwich are likely to get relegated which would be hilarious.

Sunderland - Saints is the big one for me, its lucky Saints have been dragged back into this scrap because they will have to go and win that and I think they can do that which will put us in a healthier position than if sunderland were to win.

This will certainly be a big one for us if things go against us in the next two games (Wigan win tonight and Villa lose on Saturday).

Southampton don't actually HAVE to win to avoid relegation (they have Stoke at home on the last day), but they will definitely want to win to be safe before that last day, or at least get a draw to be nearly safe.

They are also as far as I can see a better side than Sunderland. They were the better team at Spurs last Saturday and unlucky to lose. A win for them would be great for us*. Sunderland needing to win at Spurs on the last day to relegate us would be a welcome safety net if we fail to do the business ourselves.

I'd say there's much greater possibility of Southampton winning than Sunderland winning and I think either Norwich or Sunderland will get relegated if Wigan can climb over them. Stoke vs. Sunderland draw was actually pretty good result for us since they are still not mathematically safe so they still can't slack off.

I'd say there's much greater possibility of Southampton winning than Sunderland winning and I think either Norwich or Sunderland will get relegated if Wigan can climb over them. Stoke vs. Sunderland draw was actually pretty good result for us since they are still not mathematically safe so they still can't slack off.

Sunderland v Saints should be frenetic to say the least. Both teams like to press like to press high up the pitch so it should be fascinating. The positive for us though is that we will definitely still be above one of them this weekend even if we lose to Chelsea & so one of them is going into the last day madness whatever the outcome.

Personally I would like a Saints win, which means that I've already jinxed it!.

Many people have been talking about Swansea's poor run since the cup final. Yes they've only won once but it's been a tough run of fixtures.

The fact is they've only lost to Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal and the Boggies away. They've had many draws and had to beat... Not a walk in the park for Wigan 5 days before the biggest game in their clubs history.

I still think Wigan will go down, they will lose all their remaining games.

This relegation thread will be in meltdown later this evening when the Pie eaters win 2-0 tonight!

For me nothing will have changed. We have to assume they will win. Until they don't win, you have to plan for them being on 38pts. There'll still be 5 teams between us and the drop zone with 2 games to play. That's an awful lot of results that have to go against us for every single team to overtake us between now and the end of the season. Sure, it's possible, but highly improbable IMO.

Having read the last 5 pages of this thread. I am none the wiser!

One minute I am confident that one of our rivals must screw it up, then the next I am filled with trepidation and surprised the odds on us being relegated are so long. As they say football's a funny old game: WBA should not have lost to Wigan last weekend, Stoke should have hammered Sunderland last night and so on

If Wigan lose tonight we are home and dry, but I cannot see Swansea being up for it. I would love us to get a result against Chelsea but just cannot see it with them wanting to secure third place. Even if they beat Spurs, Arsenal can still pip them for 3rd place, so they will be coming to us fired up.

Hate to say it but I still believe it will come down to us and Wigan on the last day :(

Edited by MikeMcKenna