Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

If you believe the squad is weak, it's not really 36 games to turn it around. It's 5 days before you have to make do for 3 months. 3 vital months.

It's hard to argue that the squad isn't weak.

it's stronger than this time last year

I'm not sure it is, but thats not really here nor there. Is the squad good enough?

I'd contest the answer is no. It might not have been good enough last year either but we were quite lucky last season, blessed with the easiest opening to a season you could ask for and just about managed to hang on at the death. This season we arguably look worse at this point in time, and perhaps we won't be blessed with luck?

Unfortunately I agree with Chindie.

The current squad we have will probably see us relegated. 2/3 good signings and we can potentially finish 12th-17th. I still think we will sign a couple of players but I have no idea what is actually going on at the club at the moment. The club is being run into the ground.

Were you even there yesterday? That was diabolical.

i moved to canada a few years ago, so no, no i wasnt. i did however watch the match live, and yes it wasn't very good. same as last week, no incision and no creativity, plus we were torn apart too easily

that might have something to do with the team being under the control of the 6th man since 2010 though... just maybe

And how is that positive in any way what you've just said?

Also you can't really blame the manager.... he's not on the pitch playing and he's got the same team as the other managers.

In fact the only 2 players I thought looked half decent yesterday were KEA and Vlaar.

If you are not good enough eventually the inevitable will happen.

Coventry City are a prime example. Flirting with relegation most seasons and surviving by the skin of their teeth but eventually their luck ran out and they have just fell apart and tumbled down.

But what you and Randy fail to understand is that if you sell your best players, then you have to replace them with players that are at least as good.

The problem is we sold these players to the best clubs in the country - we can't attract players as good otherwise we're gonna be competing against the big boys.

We need to continue to spend on young players that are good enough with lots of potential.

Sadly I agree. This squad goes down imho. Of course we could get lucky but it is not worth that risk.

We do not like to hear it but go ask a neutral, pick any team you like, ask them what they think of us right now.

Almost universally we are looked at as a squad of has beens, unknowns plus Bent who is a striker out of form.

I like Lambert, I like what he is trying to do but yesterday was a blessing, it has shown us before the window closes just how desperate our need is to buy more players. We are fortunate to know before it is too late.

Time to buy heavily.

If you believe the squad is weak, it's not really 36 games to turn it around. It's 5 days before you have to make do for 3 months. 3 vital months.

It's hard to argue that the squad isn't weak.

it's stronger than this time last year

That's debatable. I'd say we are about the same, but less experienced. We were unbeaten for quite a while at the start of last season, hopefully we start picking up some points soon. I'm getting worried, the squad is very, very weak.

I'm not sure it is, but thats not really here nor there. Is the squad good enough?

to stay up? yes, by a 5-8 point margin

What have you seen from this squad that makes you think that? All other teams in the league have strengthened and look stronger remember too. All the positive talk from Lambert, Faulkner and co preseason has been pointing towards having a much better season that last year, though I find that hard to see realised if we don't invest in the this small/low in quality squad of players.

i think we'll end up well clear of the relegation scrap to be honest. PL doesn't have a magic wand and the results will come through hard work in training to get the team playing how he wants them to.

2 or 3 more new faces will really help obviously!

i'm still confident we can have a decent season :)

to stay up? yes, by a 5-8 point margin

What have you seen from this squad that makes you think that? All other teams in the league have strengthened and look stronger remember too. All the positive talk from Lambert, Faulkner and co preseason has been pointing towards having a much better season that last year, though I find that hard to see realised if we don't invest in the this small/low in quality squad of players.

it's simple really. the squad we had last year was a touch weaker, and we were playing a very negative game. there was no scope for improvement because of the way we lined out every match. it was all about trying not to concede at all costs. nobody improves in that environment

this time around we're trying to play football. we'll be dreadful for a while, but there'll be glimpses of change happening. we're seeing it already. the tippy tappy shite that people on here hate among the back 4 and the midfielders is a sign of progress. it's dull to watch, but it means we're intent on holding onto the ball. if you can hold onto it, the next thing that comes is using it better. when you use it better, you tire out other teams, and the next step of cutting them open starts to happen.

the difference is not in the personnel, it's in the way we're approaching games. keeping the ball leaves scope for plenty of improvement as time goes by. it also leaves scope for a few thumpings here and there, but we'll hit our stride about 10 games in, and start picking up plenty of points against the lower teams and lower mid table teams. that alone will be enough to keep us up, but with that comes confidence to put in the odd performance against better teams, and you end up getting the odd draw or nicking a win against top 8 clubs. from there you grow

we're at ground zero, and there's a long way to go, but we're approaching it the right way. the issue is our fans want great, successful football without the actual process of getting there

I think the club are clearly better then Southampton, Wigan and Reading. I know Wigan came 2 points ahead last sason but they have been weakened slightly.

It depends on how shrewd Martinez is on spending the money from the Moses sale to Chelsea. They need goals more than anything, and Di Santo isn't going to score more than 10. He only got 7 last season in 31apps.