Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

After three years of me criticising Lerner for lack of investment and saying he should go, this summer I reinvested some belief on the back of some stuff I was told , I'm not prepared to completely go back to saying lerner out just yet, I'd rather still have a little hope left for another week at least. I still believe that lessons have been learned.

However, the trouble is some damage may be too great given the poor start we have had

Richard

I reckon you were fed bullshit.

Maybe Mike, right about lambert though and culverhouse and karsa (including the delay there), right about Vlaar (not to worry will still happen). Or maybe I misinterpreted 'he'll be backed he wouldn't have come otherwise'. One thing for sure if we don't spend I'll be on here saying I was wrong ( not the information i was given but me as i believed it ) and I tell you now , after three years of anti Lerner I will be more disappointed with myself for getting sucked in again, my only defence is it's because I want us to be better

I know I'll get crucified for this but I'm not sure isolating Warnock Hutton and selling Collins is gonna help much either. Ok still early days for Lowton but I would rather see Collins at the back than Clark and although Baker did well today defensively he is no left back. But these are just the start of our problems, I think we had 2 attempts on goal today.

As for fans saying if Mcleish can keep us up so can Lambert. It's not as simple as that. Last season we had the easiest start to a season Ive ever seen in terms of games and managed to pick up enough point early to keep us up. We got Keane in who contributed to help us achieve crucial points. Mcleish for all his faults clearly realised we were a very poor team and set us up to defend. This led to the most negative football ever seen at Villa but also got us crucial draws which kept us up.

If there are no more players brought in we are going down!

Can't fault you for the info Richard, still hoping you are right.. just find it hard to trust Lerner. No true football man would have appointed McLeish, no good businessman would gave allowed the finances to get so bad, no Villa fan woukd want the club and fans to suffer..

Si, trust is hard for me.

Think Amo is right, one thing working against us is that we have a really really tough opening few fixtures. I must admit, long before the season had started I was worried we would get caught short. IF we do lose our 4 games, it could be a huge confidence blow or it may be nothing of the sort and we'll catch up on those points later on in the season.

I said it before a ball was kicked and I will say it agin. 15th place this season.
As it stands today if someone were to offer me that now right this minute I would snap their hands off

Look Moyes even said that rates as one of their best ever performances! I know it's no excuse but Everton were good and could easily have been 6! But PL has to sort out that midfield, we need a player like he was in there!

To be fair we also desperately need a LB, CB, Winger and Striker.

Big week ahead.

Thoroughly embarrassed on our own pitch in the opening home fixture. Bents best contribution was clearing one off our line. No leader, no plan, no fight, no depth in squad. Looking at the fixtures, I can't see any possible points until we play Southampton away, and we'll probably lose that too.

Relegation is definitely on, we could easily finish 20th.

My only hope is that Lambert realises the mistakes he made and doesn't do it again. Also, he did incredibly well with limited resources at Norwich. But, he needs time to get to know what he is working with. To be honest, he should have had enough time in the summer to have figured out who plays where! That was the scariest thing for me yesterday.

Lambert needs to figure out the best positions for the players he has and needs time to get the team playing how he wants. Trouble is, this league can be unforgiving and time can be something of a luxury.

I don't see much happening in this transfer window. Even if we do buy one or two more, I am doubting that the quality will be good enough to make a difference. That kid Cresswell doesn't seem any better than Lichaj from what I have seen. Any new recruits are going to take time to settle in anyway so I think we all better get used to being bottom of the league for the next couple of months at least.

The man we are all relying on here is Lambert. He needs to get it spot on every week or we are going down.

Thoroughly embarrassed on our own pitch in the opening home fixture. Bents best contribution was clearing one off our line. No leader, no plan, no fight, no depth in squad. Looking at the fixtures, I can't see any possible points until we play Southampton away, and we'll probably lose that too.

Finish with fewer points than Derby?

I agree completely, although I was working yesterday and can't bring myself to watch the highlights so I can't comment on specific performances.

We need a great deal of investment, give Lambert the players he wants and hope he succeeds with them. I don't understand why he would take the helm if he knew he wouldn't be backed, unless he genuinely thought the reserve team from two years back are now Premiership quality.

I dont know if Randy is scared to invest again, or whether he literally can't afford to, but it needs to happen and it needs to happen fast.

I'm genuinely putting us down to be relegated this season, after our hopes being ripped out with the managerial selection of last year, our hopes have been built back up and now ripped out again. The board need to get their fingers out their arses or sell up because our club is being ruined more and more as the days go by.

Finish with fewer points than Derby?

How many did they get ?

I know I'll get crucified for this but I'm not sure isolating Warnock Hutton and selling Collins is gonna help much either. Ok still early days for Lowton but I would rather see Collins at the back than Clark and although Baker did well today defensively he is no left back. But these are just the start of our problems, I think we had 2 attempts on goal today.

As for fans saying if Mcleish can keep us up so can Lambert. It's not as simple as that. Last season we had the easiest start to a season Ive ever seen in terms of games and managed to pick up enough point early to keep us up. We got Keane in who contributed to help us achieve crucial points. Mcleish for all his faults clearly realised we were a very poor team and set us up to defend. This led to the most negative football ever seen at Villa but also got us crucial draws which kept us up.

If there are no more players brought in we are going down!

As much as I hate to say it, I do see your point regarding car-crash and Mutton. They are still on the books and it looks unlikely that anyone else is going to be stupid enough to take them off our hands. Isolating them like Lambert has is only going to make his job more difficult when he arrives at the point of needing them to play.

I also see your point about McLeish! Which is even more worrying because if we are that bad that we only stayed up through his negative shit then we are doomed this season because Lambert has already promised us a season of attacking football!

To sort of add to your point about Collins; we have lost Cuellar, Collins, Heskey, Petrov (illness), Gardner (injury), Warnock & Hutton (frozen out). These are all players who got game time for us last season. 7 out and 4 in. It's the same story every year and at some point it is inevitably going to come back to haunt us!

By half-time yesterday I'd watched 135 minutes of league football by Villa this season, and every last one of them looked worse than last season. Can't believe I've just had to say that.

lambo can only do so much, lerner has to support him with the tools to safely guide us away from relegation. lerner has failed lambert so far the only saving grace is the window is not shut

but i dont anticipate lerner will give him the four players he needs

Let's face it - two seasons of struggle and the investment in playing staff is virtually non-existent. This is not how a top 20 football team behaves. Both the first 11 and squad is one of the worst in th league.

If we don't behave as one, why should we be in the Premier League? We deserve to be relegated and that will be what happens. We fluked the previous two years but this time it's third time unlucky. Except it's not unlucky - its our own fault.

I remember relegation last time around. It's a horrible atmosphere that clings over the club all season. That feeling is back, I never really felt it under GED or Eck, but it's here now. The squad is woeful, the league is tougher than ever and we have an owner who has lost the will to spend.

This has been coming since the day Gareth Barry left, slowly but surely.

Everton at least played well against us and deserved their win, last week against a shite WH was more of a worry for me.

For me it will depend on who Lambert can bring in this week and how quickly he learns which players play in which positions! Herd on the right doesn't work, Clarke at CH doesn't work, Baker at LB doesn't work, Nsomnia on the pitch doesn't work, The fonz isn't good enough, Guzan in place of Given if he has another game like that.

Be in no doubts I was there home and away in 87 and we thought the same that we will somehow survive, we didn't and were pathetic this squad is just as weak and will not suddenly change no matter how good Lambert is. You can't keep getting rid of better or more experienced and replacing them with untried players and expect it to not have an adverse effect on results.

Top 6 3 seasons ago, it seems like a life time. If Lerner hasn't got the money or the interest then he needs to find a new buyer who has both ASAP.