Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

This smacks of Houllier.

I suspect those who couldn't see what Houllier was trying to do will throw the same accusations at Lambert and cry about relegation

this, we have a vocal minority who don't appear to have a **** clue about football

This smacks of Houllier.

I suspect those who couldn't see what Houllier was trying to do will throw the same accusations at Lambert and cry about relegation. That said, Houllier was accused of doing "too much too soon" and Lambert may be in the same boat.

Still, it's our second game. We started with 4 changes in personell from our last game. They simply have not had time to click, nor Lambert time to determine who is worth a starting place and who is not (of which, sadly, there are quite a few). He also needs time to undo all the wonderful work our last manager did.

Thankfully the season is not decided by the second game so while relegation is always a possibility you won't mind if I stay positive and still expect a comfortable mid-table finish - even with our current squad.

I often agree with you, I agree strongly about the need for our new style of football and how Houiller was on the right track as well. But a comfortable mid table finish with this squad? Sorry mate, it is not on the cards, I wish it was. We need strengthening this week.

I often agree with you, I agree strongly about the need for our new style of football and how Houiller was on the right track as well. But a comfortable mid table finish with this squad? Sorry mate, it is not on the cards, I wish it was. We need strengthening this week.

Could we use strengthening? Certainly. Is there a club that couldn't? Even ManUre plumped for RVP and it was only goal difference that kept them from the title last year.

However, I can't judge our future performances this year based on 2 games with only 1 player lasting the full 180 minutes in our engine room (KEA). It will definitely improve as Lambert gets his starters sorted and they play more games together.

And, for mine, it is the midfield which is causing concern - not the back 4. They are turning over too much easy ball and not linking with Bent/Wiemann/Fonz. We are playing a style that requires movement, ball control and quick passing from our midfield....

... but I only see KEA on that wavelength so far.

The team needs more experience,the last time we tried to use young plyers in key roles we got relegated!

This was the 86-87 era when Mortimer & Bremner were booted out and Turner tried to replace them with Bradley & Glover from the Youth set up,at the time those lads were not ready/good enough for that level.

The Club know they need players but it will take at least 3 transfer windows to turn this team around,there is no quick fix.

I agree, 3 transfer windows to get it sorted but there really is no excuse for he wafer thin piss poor squad we've got, it just smacks of struggle struggle struggle, surely the chairman/CEO/manager can see this and surely Lerner will want to protect his investment by not getting relegated, well let's hope he does anyway.

This smacks of Houllier.

I suspect those who couldn't see what Houllier was trying to do will throw the same accusations at Lambert and cry about relegation

this, we have a vocal minority who don't appear to have a **** clue about football

Love it.

Yeah we don't have a **** clue because we weren't happy that Ashley Young was played behind the striker for over 20 games.

We don't have a **** clue because we weren't happy that everytime we went behind the team rolled over and died.

We don't have a **** clue because we weren't happy that the defence that performed well the year before turned into an utter shambles and the manager refused to even attempt to sort it out.

I could go on and on about pr blunders and his appalling attitude towards his own fans but I've already demonstrated my lack of any footballing knowledge enough.

Houllier was one of the most arrogant, out of touch, disrespectful men to ever manage our great club. He goes down in history as an unmitigated disaster.

And yet we did not get relegated and finished mid table.

I'm confident we wont get relegated this term either. I'm also confident that Randy will back Lambert the same way he has backed every manager (yes, even McLeish).

Houllier was one of the most arrogant, out of touch, disrespectful men to ever manage our great club. He goes down in history as an unmitigated disaster.

And yet we did not get relegated and finished mid table.

I'm confident we wont get relegated this term either. I'm also confident that Randy will back Lambert the same way he has backed every manager (yes, even McLeish).

McLeish's net spend was about -£16m.. Not sure how that's backing the manager? Neither is the paltry sum we've spent so far this window considering the state of squad. Not good enough from Lerner.

Although I have confidence in Lamberts abilities and am sure he will do I good job I seriously fear for this season.

The man doesn't have enough quality and Saturday showed that. We had nothing to offer and with Clark baker bannan herd etc it's too early for them. They've been thrown in instead of slowly introduced but that's because we don't have anyone else.

You look at our squad and they're all low earning youths with 3 or 4 experience players. Against Everton we seriously missed Dunne, Petrov and Gabby purely for the experience. 1-0 down after 3 minutes wouldn't have ended up 3-0 half time with experience on that pitch.

The Swansea defeat last season was probably one of the worst games I've seen villa play but Saturday's first half was up there.

I couldnt help thinking Lambert will have gone away and looked at what's out there cheap, possibly free and experienced.

2 players this week apparently. I hope one is a decent DCM to replace Stan & the other is a striker to partner DB9.

It's going to be an interesting few days.

Two isn't going to be enough CI. We need bare minimum 4, LB, DM, CF and winger. I'd also throw in another centreback if Dunne is on his way out?

2 players this week apparently. I hope one is a decent DCM to replace Stan & the other is a striker to partner DB9.

It's going to be an interesting few days.

Two isn't going to be enough CI. We need bare minimum 4, LB, DM, CF and winger. I'd also throw in another centreback if Dunne is on his way out?

I have heard nothing but twitter bollocks about any new players, I appreciate that sometimes in the case of Vlaar Twitter has proven to be correct but most of the time it's made up crap.

I would be amazed if we managed to get 2 good signings this week, I honestly believe they have left it too late. We may well get some over the hill has been or more lower league untried players. We may even (god forbid) see Heskey back but any established players would want either silly money in wages or time to consider a move to VP as they may think we are just too big a risk.

It appears we have neither.

The only caveat to that is that PL has already lined players up and deals have been agreed but to me it wouldn't make any sense.

Paul Lambert seems like a good manager and he has and will continue to have my 100% support no matter what happens, I don't blame him for the under investment of the last 2-3 years.

PL must have seen the Villa job as a project or challenge, do you think he may have underestimated the task?

I think Lambert is an ambitious man, and he saw Aston Villa as a big step up from Norwich which is why he took the job. But I also think he didnt realise what a huge mess the club was in until he actually took the job and started work. So yes, you could say he underestimated the task.

Next game is Newcastle away, I honestly think that will be a defeat. 3 games and 3 defeats.

I think Lambert underestimated the challenge. He looked a bit shellshocked on Saturday, the fans however were less surprised. We've witnessed some dross in recent times and that first 11 had defeat written all over it, before the game even began.

I believe Lambert is a good manager and I think he can turn us around, but it'll take a while before we're competitive again because the squad is so, so weak.

We could really do with Dunne, Albrighton and Agbonlahor back again too.

He got very lucky with us, now it looks like that lucks running out............another one who thought the grass was greener.

He was also given time..........and you lot won't give him that....I see rumblings are starting already.