Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Not being a villa fan you are probably not aware of the full facts around our club for the last few years and what that means in terms of where the rumblings are now directed towards.

Being a Norwich fan you are obviously still bitter about losing the best thing about your club and desperate to look for , and jump on, any sign that he is now failing and thus his decision to leave your club for better career prospects was wrong, to try and assuage your disappointment at his loss.

I understand that.

Not being a villa fan you are probably not aware of the full facts around our club for the last few years and what that means in terms of where the rumblings are now directed towards.

Being a Norwich fan you are obviously still bitter about losing the best thing about your club and desperate to look for , and jump on, any sign that he is now failing and thus his decision to leave your club for better career prospects was wrong, to try and assuage your disappointment at his loss.

I understand that.

I'd say he's also gutted that the summer holidays are nearly over and he'll be back to school soon.

He'll get time. I think the knives are currently pointed elsewhere.

And rightly so? I think we can all see what is going on at the club. But we've seen so much 'transition' and the damage it can do that the fanbase is frightened of another season of it.

Lambert's two signings look good (I say tentatively). Quality players, with experience, low fees, ambitious and reflect the direction we want to work towards. But we're lightyears from where we want to get to. That's not Lambert's fault. Only time will tell, if he can get us where we want to be, but we know it's possible because we see Newcastle and Everton doing it.

If Lambert was lucky with Norwich, then Chris Houghton better draw on all his Irishness, because he'll need a bit of luck to keep Norwich up this season too.

I also think I need that dictionary from CI as well as taking a small club that has never really achieved anything from the middle of the third division to the middle of the top division in two years is not something I would describe as luck

He got very lucky with us, now it looks like that lucks running out............another one who thought the grass was greener.

He was also given time..........and you lot won't give him that....I see rumblings are starting already.

PL got you 2 promotions in 2 seasons, be grateful. He didnt get lucky with you. Secondly Aston Villa has been in a mess since 2010, it has got nothing to Paul Lambert the mess that the club is in. He has only just arrived and only been manager for 2 games. How can it be his fault?

No sane Villa fan is blaming Lambert for our current plight. We could have Mourinho or Ferguson in charge and the club would still be where it is after 2 games.

p.s I think Norwich will come 18th this season. :D

And rightly so? I think we can all see what is going on at the club. But we've seen so much 'transition' and the damage it can do that the fanbase is frightened of another season of it.

Well, I think it's certainly right that they're not pointed at the manager - whether they need to be out is more questionable to me.

I think the second point you make is key, Lambert is young and ambitious, we were relatively happy to have him on board and I think crucially to how he will be treated should things not go well this season we're now almost universal in our agreement that changing the manager every year isn't going to help us achieve a damn thing.

I think it would be possible for us to go down this year with Lambert still reasonably well supported.

I understand that.

I'd say he's also gutted that the summer holidays are nearly over and he'll be back to school soon.

Hate to rain on your parade fella but I'm 65 in September.

He got very lucky with us, now it looks like that lucks running out............another one who thought the grass was greener.

He was also given time..........and you lot won't give him that....I see rumblings are starting already.

I have often wandered this. he didnt exactly cover himself in glory at livingstone wycombe or colchester

I also think I need that dictionary from CI as well as taking a small club that has never really achieved anything from the middle of the third division to the middle of the top division in two years is not something I would describe as luck

Err? you do know that we were a founder member of the Premier League years back?

No, thought not.

Err? you do know that we were a founder member of the Premier League years back?

No, thought not.

So were Oldham Athletic.

PL must have seen the Villa job as a project or challenge, do you think he may have underestimated the task?

I think Lambert is an ambitious man, and he saw Aston Villa as a big step up from Norwich which is why he took the job. But I also think he didnt realise what a huge mess the club was in until he actually took the job and started work. So yes, you could say he underestimated the task.

Next game is Newcastle away, I honestly think that will be a defeat. 3 games and 3 defeats.

It is a big job. But its been done before. Graham Taylor totally rebuilt the club in 3 years - Brain Little did similar.

Its a big job - but not impossible - I am sure thats how Lambo views it.

No, thought not.

And apart from a couple of league cups you have won nothing of any note!

Norwich City have won a number of honours:

League

Football League First Division (level 1)

3rd placed (1) (1992–93) - wow!!!!!

Football League Second Division (Level 2)

Winners (3): 1971–72, 1985–86, 2003–04

Runners-up (1): 2010–11 (and promoted to Level 1)

Football League Third Division (Level 3)

Winners (2): 1933–34, 2009–10

Runners-up (1): 1959–60

League Cup

Winners (2): 1962, 1985

Runners-up (2): 1973, 1975

Well, I think it's certainly right that they're not pointed at the manager - whether they need to be out is more questionable to me.

Well, there is a feeling that we're in the mess we're in due to mismanagement at the top. I think that's hard to dispute.

And a few bad results and a perceived lack of investment is getting people sharpening their knives.

I can understand it but there is no quick fix for out situation. We need to ride it out and hope to come out on the otherside alive but after two seasons of near disaster it's hard to stomach.

If we bring in some quality in the area between the midfield and Bent we will do well.

This could be wingers, attacking midfielders, centre forwards, target men, foil/partner to Bent. Three of any of these position as long as they have intelligence and hunger to create, to take the game to the opposition, be cute to any naughty tricks, confident in their own ability to show it.

And they are out there, and it's well within our capacity to bring them in. Lambert is a shrewd enough manager to identify them. Lerner will back him as long as he keeps things moving. It will be if he doesn't want someone he'll have to get rid of them.

Lerner lost trust in 'O' Neill who was an extremely good manager but with a huge fault in never really being a master or lover of the transfer market who will leave anyone he didn't fancy out to pasture instead of moving them on. Which is bad business.

Then backed a manager in Houllier who wanted to overhaul the squad extremely quickly and then unfortunately, through poor health, couldn't follow through with his convictions. Leaving a fair few players still at the club who had been surplus to requirements.

Then took a massive risk in bringing in our rivals' manager who couldn't balance rebuilding a damaged side with a respectable style of play and league position. Because he wasn't a very good manager.

Now he has a young and astute manager with a massive job on his hands, dealing with pressure he didn't create (I've written it on other threads but again, this doesn't mean the pressure is unjustified) rebuilding his trust in a manager spending his money without leaving those who don't work out to rot, buying rot or leaving next season for whatever reason, not carrying through with the job he began, having to once again appoint a new manager.

It's been two games, I know the two games get tacked on to the last two seasons, and I understand that but it's two games under Lambert and he knows there's work to be done. Look at him -

lamno_1571970a.jpg

its a bit like a new years resolution to lose weight....

for the first month, you go out every day and run like a bastard, trying your damnedest to drop the pounds, only to find they're still going up, or certainly not coming off....

then slowly, things plateau, and then one day, after a couple of months out of the blue, you've dropped a pound... two weeks later, dropped two more... next thing you know, the weight is falling off, you're feeling great, and the whole thing has a bit of momentum....

we're in that shitty phase of working hard, and seeing no clear results... we need to be patient as we work through that... give it time, and we'll start to get results... then a bit of momentum, and then hey presto, we're off to the races....

for the first month, you go out every day and run like a bastard, trying your damnedest to drop the pounds, only to find they're still going up, or certainly not coming off....

then slowly, things plateau, and then one day, after a couple of months out of the blue, you've dropped a pound... two weeks later, dropped two more... next thing you know, the weight is falling off, you're feeling great, and the whole thing has a bit of momentum....

we're in that shitty phase of working hard, and seeing no clear results... we need to be patient as we work through that... give it time, and we'll start to get results... then a bit of momentum, and then hey presto, we're off to the races....

Great analogy. I agree entirely.

Great analogy. I agree entirely.

Yep, it's a great way to put it!! :)