Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I too wouldn't be too fussed if he left, granted, we had an injury prone player in Laursen as well, but he was incrediable, Vlaar is not, if we had an injury prone player in anyone else it wouldn't matter as much, but Vlaar is meant to be the team captain and leader on the pitch, if he resigns then fair enough, but i can see him going to manutd.

Oddly enough, and i know i am going to be burnt here, i prefer Senderos.

***runs and hides***

• Like 1

I too wouldn't be too fussed if he left, granted, we had an injury prone player in Laursen as well, but he was incrediable, Vlaar is not, if we had an injury prone player in anyone else it wouldn't matter as much, but Vlaar is meant to be the team captain and leader on the pitch, if he resigns then fair enough, but i can see him going to manutd.

Oddly enough, and i know i am going to be burnt here, i prefer Senderos.

***runs and hides***

Absolutely. Cash in now before he is a liability not an asset.

Probably going against the grain here but I think signing him up to maybe a 2-3 year deal is a smart move. We have 3 potentially good young centrebacks who need experience around them and Vlaar will provide that along with Senderos.

I'd imagine if he does signs it'll be for 2 years and then he'll head back to Feyenoord.

Probably going against the grain here but I think signing him up to maybe a 2-3 year deal is a smart move. We have 3 potentially good young centrebacks who need experience around them and Vlaar will provide that along with Senderos.

I'd imagine if he does signs it'll be for 2 years and then he'll head back to Feyenoord.

2 year deal same wages, means we don't have to go out and splash a bit of cash at cb.  :thumb:

if only them Vlaar for Cleverley rumours were true now

Or we could keep them both?

2 year deal same wages, means we don't have to go out and splash a bit of cash at cb.  :thumb:

Exactly. 

No thanks - was actually looking forward to see if we can build up a new defence with sherwood. Vlaar has been here for 3 years now and have never been able to build any solid partnership with anyone, an nothing I see suggest he can be as good as he was in the WC in a villa shirt

• Like 2

I am not too bothered whether he stays or not given we have four other decent centre backs. Having said that to sign him on for say another two years might be smart business to give depth to the squad and recognising the collective injury record of all of them is not great. Much depends on the funds and salaries TS had available in the summer. If wages are an issue I would much rather we spent that money on someone else. For example I'd rather let Vlaar go and spend his wages on making sure we signed Cleverley and kept Beneteke.

This season he has at times gone from the sublime to the absolute ridiculous with his performances. For me, it's time to move him on, he's become a liability for us, there's always a mistake or lapse of concentration in him.

He's been a decent defender for us over a very difficult period for the club, he deserves a lot of credit for being, overall, one of the better performers for us over the past few years. I'd put in him the same category as a James Collins or Richard Dunne in the grand scheme of things, certainly not a patch on some of the other top centre halves we've had in the premier league. 

Doesn't play regular enough and when he does play makes too many mistakes for an international player. Let somebody else pay him 40k a week for 17/20 games a season. Move on can get better value for money elsewhere.

I think Vlaar is a good player. However, I would let him go. As mentioned he isn't available enough, he hasn't been a great leader (no where near Laursen level) for us and hasn't really formed a solid partnership.

The main reason I'd let him go is I think he is tired with us now. With all the speculation linking him to CL clubs he may have a kind of "I'm better than this" attitude. 

Attitude > ability (obviously they have to be of a certain level but I feel it's harder to change attitude than improve ability).

Good luck to him, he's been decent and he ought to take the opportunity with a CL club.

Â