Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Vlaar's is a villa career to forget.  Some very good moments but overall a nothing player. Would have been much better off sticking with collins IMO. We'd have got much more out of him over the last few years.

Lucky Okore was on the pitch to make sure he wasn't the worst player.

Praying we don't give him a new contract.

Difference being that Okore is 22 and playing in what is essentially his first season in this league, given the length of his injury last year. Ron is supposed to be the leader, the wise experienced pro. It was a completely gutless performance.

As I've said in the Okore thread, Vlaar was the senior defender today per se and up until a few months ago he was our club captain. Today he looked nothing like that sort of a player, in fact Bacuna (who isn't even a defender) was our best defender and Okore really needed Vlaar to pull him through. He didn't.

Vlaar is a 30-year-old defender, coming back from a fantastic World Cup and being a Netherlands international. As Ron Vlaar, as soon as you see your 22-year-old defensive partner having a bit of a flop in the early stages of the game, your job is to grab him and yank him out of the mess, you get in his ear and you help him out. Vlaar didn't do that today, instead he actually left Okore to his own devices and had an awful game himself. 

Leadership is key in all parts of the pitch and today is a clear case of there being very little leadership in our team, let alone in defence where it looks as if without Clark we have no leadership at all. 

I thank him for the good times but I really hope we let Vlaar go this summer so that the partnership of Okore and Clark can grow. I wish him all the best at Ajax (should he agree terms with them).

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 4

Vlaar's is a villa career to forget.  Some very good moments but overall a nothing player. Would have been much better off sticking with collins IMO. We'd have got much more out of him over the last few years.

Disagree with that. Think he's been a good player overall and I'm not sure if we would've stayed up in either of the last two seasons without him - he's certainly been better than Collins. Unfortunately it's all gone a bit downhill for him this season but that shouldn't negate the last two.

I think he's had games where he's been miles ahead of a player like Collins and been superb.  But overall I just don't think he's been good enough on a consistent basis.  He won't be a player i'll miss if he leaves.

Thanks for the memories Ron, could've been the new Mellberg or Laursen but instead is leaving on a whimper.

Too many costly mistakes to be ever labelled a legend but he has given us 'some' good service.

I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

I think people are naturally reacting angrily to a dismal performance, but he's been a good player in his time here . . . however, today really showed that he shouldn't be offered a new contract. He started the season well in partnership with Senderos - and the 10 points we gained in those first four games, when we only conceded once, has hardly been irrelevant in keeping us up - but after that first injury he hasn't really got back up to speed. If he's not an automatic starter, and I don't think he should be, he's paid too much per week to sit on the bench. 

• Like 1

not really true though, Michael Boulding or Najwan Ghrayib that is a VIlla career to forget. He has given good service considering the fee and was a decent player and while not in top bracket of Villa defenders of recent times he was OK. Probably on James Collins/Zat Knight level on service to the club

I've seen him have some really good games and not so good games, he is injury prone and that plays a derogatory part.

When I think of Laursen in comparison, I think of commanding in the air, particularly at set pieces, we don't have that anymore, we are vulnerable in the air.....Hence we get bullied, and with balls over the top, they don't get dealt with.

I would welcome a new commanding Centre Half and I think all the others in our squad are built/ have a style, to play off one.

Edited by TRO

Some excellent games, some awful games and too many injuries sums up Vlaar's time at the club. Time for him to move on now. 

Â