Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He'll be off to Man Utd in January. If not then, he'll leave for free in June. I say sell him, reinvest the cash right away. Hopefully Okore will be prepared to give it a go finally as well. Losing Vlaar is not the end of the world, I just hope we hold United's feet to the fire and get 6m for him.

• Like 3

Hiddink said its not the same calf as that healed but 'it does not look good'

Looks like he's out till January

Vlaar and Delph, both out of contract at the end of this season and both "injured until January"?

:detect:

If you really think there is more to it, I really fear for your intelligence.

Not to bothered about Vlaar, been far more impressed with Senderos since he arrived. But Delph is what we're missing badly, because of our lack of movement we need his ability to drive with the ball through midfield and make defenders leave their positions. I didn't notice it until the QPR game that Delph is the only one who runs at the defenders.

Okay then, since we signed Vlaar, who for £3m has moved to a PL club and performed at PL level that we would have been better off with?

That wasn't really the original point being made, as Lambert could have spent a little less on Bennett/ Lowton/ El Ahmadi/ Tonev to put a bit more money towards buying a central defender, if the options really were that slim. But, without having the knowledge of a scout, Hangelaand and Senderos were both signed on frees and would have been decent signings. There are probably others out there, but me not knowing them, still doesn't prove that Vlaar was the best we could get for the money available. Your point was very definitive, and something extremely difficult to back up.

Okay then, since we signed Vlaar, who for £3m has moved to a PL club and performed at PL level that we would have been better off with?

So to disagree with your point we need to have the scouting ability and contacts of a premiership club. Doesn't really seem fair.

• Like 1

So to disagree with your point we need to have the scouting ability and contacts of a premiership club. Doesn't really seem fair.

That's not what I asked,  since we signed Vlaar, who for £3m has moved to a PL club and performed at PL level that we would have been better off with

Just because nobody has moved to the prem for 3m and is better/less injury prone than vlaar (and that's not to say there hasn't) it doesn't mean those players are not available.

As highlighted earlier, instead of wasting money elsewhere, we could have used it on someone.

I'm amazed that people are still believing this guy has been a success.

Sure, he's a decent defender and has proved vital in scraping out of relegation battles, but he's rarely fit - even when playing - and to be quite honest, I'm looking for a bit more than scraping away from relegation.

It's getting to the point where the overall succesfulness of Benteke signing is in question.

Lambert through lack of luck with injuries or just simply through buying shite has been absolutely appalling in the transfer market.

Just because nobody has moved to the prem for 3m and is better/less injury prone than vlaar (and that's not to say there hasn't) it doesn't mean those players are not available.

As highlighted earlier, instead of wasting money elsewhere, we could have used it on someone.

Sure, he's a decent defender and has proved vital in scraping out of relegation battles, but he's rarely fit - even when playing - and to be quite honest, I'm looking for a bit more than scraping away from relegation.

It's getting to the point where the overall succesfulness of Benteke signing is in question.

Lambert through lack of luck with injuries or just simply through buying shite has been absolutely appalling in the transfer market.

...but if it was so simple to get these better players everyone is talking about why has none of the other 20+ clubs competing in the PL over the past two seasons snapped one up?

Over 20 goals at 21 in his debut season in a top league. Questionable, no.

Edited by rodders0223

...but if it was so simple to get these better players everyone is talking about why has none of the other 20+ clubs competing in the PL over the past two seasons snapped one up?

Over 20 goals at 21 in his debut season in a top league. Questionable, no.

Who said it was simple?

Without discussing Benteke - I said he's starting to become questioned as an overal success given his constant lack of fitness the past season 1/2 and his idiotic behaviour the other week.

Juan Pablo angel bagged 23 goals one year but overal he was pretty unsuccessful. Vlaar, overal IMO, has also been unsuccessful.

Who said it was simple?

Without discussing Benteke - I said he's starting to become questioned as an overal success given his constant lack of fitness the past season 1/2 and his idiotic behaviour the other week.

Juan Pablo angel bagged 23 goals one year but overal he was pretty unsuccessful. Vlaar, overal IMO, has also been unsuccessful.

I can't see how Benteke is being questioned; that's nonsense.  The guy is class (even if his temperament is iffy on occasion).

Vlaar has been relatively successful for both a] the money he cost and b] the amount of defending he's had to do.  If he hadn't been relatively successful, there simply wouldn't be the links to Man Utd or Arsenal or Southampton or whoever else.  One of the better players at the World Cup who led the Dutch to a 3rd place finish.  (I don't think they lost a game (bar the shootout, obviously) during that tournament?)  He started off pretty shaky for us and has got better and better - until this season, it seems.  For £3m(?), he's been good business.

Who said it was simple?

I can't see how Benteke is being questioned; that's nonsense. The guy is class (even if his temperament is iffy on occasion).

Vlaar has been relatively successful for both a] the money he cost and b] the amount of defending he's had to do. If he hadn't been relatively successful, there simply wouldn't be the links to Man Utd or Arsenal or Southampton or whoever else. One of the better players at the World Cup who led the Dutch to a 3rd place finish. (I don't think they lost a game (bar the shootout, obviously) during that tournament?) He started off pretty shaky for us and has got better and better - until this season, it seems. For £3m(?), he's been good business.

Those teams are interested because of his World Cup performances - form that he has never ever repeated for us, tho I appreciate that that's hard to compare given surrounding players.

I'm not questioning vlaars standard of performance when fit tho, it's just he never is. He may have played more than half the games since he signed but you could argue that a good proportion of them were when he was regaining fitness.

I don't think he's been a success due to his constant injuries and I just think, it would have been possible to get someone in for a similar price that isn't as injury prone.

That's not what I asked,  since we signed Vlaar, who for £3m has moved to a PL club and performed at PL level that we would have been better off with

That isn't really a fair question, seeing as Vlaar hasn't performed at PL level either.

Vlaar has been OK. Sometimes great sometimes poor.

He wouldn't get in my top 10 Villa centre halves. If he wants out do it ASAP

Agreed , he's been the best of a poor bunch since he arrived but hugely injury prone - he is no mellberg, mcgrath, or laursen that's for sure.

Worth the £3m transfer fee we paid without question but I feel okore will prove a much better defender in time.

Edited by Eastie

Â