Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He was excellent last night. He breaths confidence into the entire team, he is a real leader and if he stays fit we will be fine.

He looks like he wants to get himself into that Dutch squad, and fitness permitting, he should at least be on the plane.

• Like 1

Great to see him doing so well after a fairly shaky season last season.

Provides a great example and a reason to hope for similar improvements for Tonev, Bacuna, Helenius, Kozak and Luna next season.

It's not actually a reason for that at all. Vlaar is far more experienced and talented than any of them. I'm not saying they can't all improve next year, I hope and expect they will (although I've kinda written Tonev off at this point) - but Vlaar's improvement is totally irrelevant to that.

Great to see him doing so well after a fairly shaky season last season.

Provides a great example and a reason to hope for similar improvements for Tonev, Bacuna, Helenius, Kozak and Luna next season.

It's not actually a reason for that at all. Vlaar is far more experienced and talented than any of them. I'm not saying they can't all improve next year, I hope and expect they will (although I've kinda written Tonev off at this point) - but Vlaar's improvement is totally irrelevant to that.

So Vlaar's improvement is no reason to hope, but you hope they will improve anyway? :blink:

Premier League: Garth Crooks's Team of the Week

_72384707_72384706.jpg

DEFENDER - RON VLAAR (Aston Villa)
_72384566_vlaar_pa.jpg

Aston Villa's Ron Vlaar was hugely impressive in defence against Liverpool and could not have done any more to keep Uruguay international Luis Suarez at bay.

Did you know? Vlaar has the best tackle success rate (86%) of any of the 13 Villa players to make 10+ tackles this season (30/35).

Been fantastic so far this season, the thought of him and Okore is something to savour for next season and hopefully we can make Bertrand's loan permanent in the summer.  The strike force is pretty nice too, and in Delph, Westwood and KEA we have some good support acts in midfield too.  Now we need that number 10!

Back to Vlaar I think he is easily the best CB Holland have so long as he is fit he is a shoe in.

£3m for Vlaar. £4m for Okore. £5.6m for Mellberg. £3m for Laursen. It's like we go around stealing Northern European defenders.

if counting Netherlands as Northern Europe then we can include Ireland as that McGrath lad was a steal as well :)

It may have already been said, though I haven't spotted it anywhere.

Despite having an otherwise great game, I did think Vlaar was culpable for the first goal by playing everyone onside. He was a good couple of yards behind our back line.

Despite having an otherwise great game, I did think Vlaar was culpable for the first goal by playing everyone onside. He was a good couple of yards behind our back line.

Sturridge was onside anyway (he was level with Clark), so while Vlaar's positioning was admittedly poor at that moment, it didn't actually play anyone onside.

If anyone was at fault, it was Clark. I thought he should have kept goalside of Sturridge and then he woudln't have spun away from him so easily.

Sturridge was onside anyway (he was level with Clark), so while Vlaar's positioning was admittedly poor at that moment, it didn't actually play anyone onside.

If anyone was at fault, it was Clark. I thought he should have kept goalside of Sturridge and then he woudln't have spun away from him so easily.

First goal by Liverpool was probably pretty much unavoidable, the small flick by Henderson was great and movement by Sturridge would've left most defenders behind. Not all goals are because defenders screw up.

Â