Stephen Ireland

omariqy

People expect Hazard type stats from him because he's an AM. But he's been in a team that struggled to create goals, and not in a team stacked with all stars. We scored only 37 goals last season, and 2 in 3 games this. In fact when he was with a few good players in 08/09 he had something like 17 goals and 13 assists in all competitions.

The only thing I can imagine is that he will likely want to remain on his 60k/week+ wages if he gets a new contract, which he has already stated he is after.

He is a good player but for that sort of outlay we could probably get 2 players from Europe for the same total wage, who would contribute more assists and goals than Ireland does.

The only thing I can imagine is that he will likely want to remain on his 60k/week+ wages if he gets a new contract, which he has already stated he is after.

He is a good player but for that sort of outlay we could probably get 2 players from Europe for the same total wage, who would contribute more assists and goals than Ireland does.

Spot on there. He will most likely be replaced because he's a very big earner here. He is also very much replaceable as far as I'm concerned.

MM is right he is no world beater but very very few players are... and we aren't likely to see too many at Villa for the foreseeable.

What he is...a very tidy player, with great vision and ability to make the pass. He isn't going to rip teams apart but will look good when surrounded by good players. We are starting to (hopefully) see a bit more of that.

Oh and he does work hard too - has done for the last season - never understand why people criticise his work rate - look at the stats he does more running than almost all of our team every game.

I think we need a player that has his vision and capability to do something unexpected every now and then. I dont think we really should judge him yet as he hasnt really been getting the chance to shine...

Give him some time and a stable squad around him so that he and the rest of the attack can learn each others movements and i am sure he will be immense.

If he's happy to take a massive pay cut I may consider keeping him

He's got to go onto 15k a week same as KEA

Not a penny more

Slightly off topic but wondering where it has been stated what KEA is on, and also assuming it is £15k how long do you think it will be before he starts asking for more? If he plays well enough in our team other clubs will come sniffing and it surely wont take long for him to realise what the Bents, Gabbys and Irelands of the squad are on. Would you be happy in a job knowing people are doing a similar role to you on 3 or 4 times as much money?

Think we might be a little off in our estimation of what players expect to earn in the PL, again off the point but I don't think we'd have to be anywhere near the top 6 for some of regular starters to be in a position to demand and get more than £15-20k a week.

Yes we could just sell Ireland, but then who's nex in the high wages firing line, Gabby then Bent?

Back on topic I think this will be a big season for Ireland, think the way Lambo wants us to play is perfect for him and provided the players around him continue to make the right runs he'll be a valuable asset to us.

Not a penny more

Slightly off topic but wondering where it has been stated what KEA is on, and also assuming it is £15k how long do you think it will be before he starts asking for more? If he plays well enough in our team other clubs will come sniffing and it surely wont take long for him to realise what the Bents, Gabbys and Irelands of the squad are on. Would you be happy in a job knowing people are doing a similar role to you on 3 or 4 times as much money?

Not in a regular job as someone earning an extra £400 a week than me doing the same role is nice income boost, but when you're on £15k a week with KEA's rather humble upbringing you accept it as the blessing it is. I don't think KEA would start asking more.

Think we might be a little off in our estimation of what players expect to earn in the PL, again off the point but I don't think we'd have to be anywhere near the top 6 for some of regular starters to be in a position to demand and get more than £15-20k a week.

Yes we could just sell Ireland, but then who's nex in the high wages firing line, Gabby then Bent?

Back on topic I think this will be a big season for Ireland, think the way Lambo wants us to play is perfect for him and provided the players around him continue to make the right runs he'll be a valuable asset to us.

Ideally we won't have to sell any of our players, but we all know when the big clubs come calling, it usually ends up 1 way. But If it does come to that, then we need to make sure the players in demand are on a long enough contract, that it is not allowed to get into its last year of their contracts (like Ash young). Still we are talking at least a year down the line, so lets enjoy the moment. :)

Better but he still massively owes us . I think PL though won't stand for any of his antics and it's up to Ireland to show a lot more to win PL over .

Yes he has been a lot better in the last 2 games and has a good touch and awareness but 1 goal from an attacking midfield player since he came to the club and how many assists ?. Come on let's get real he is hardly a worldbeater and needs to do a hell of a lot more consistently to win me over . Still maintain he will leave next summer as we won't need him .

What does he owe us for, being frozen out without getting a proper chance? Accepting high wages that we offered to him? I haven't seen one performance from him worth highlighting due to him being the worst player for us. But because of his playing style he's deemed lazy and scapegoated.

What sort of antics are you talking about? I'm genuinly interested because if its the Shisha thing its hardly anything serious considering his next performance was the Chelsea one.

I don't want a replacement for him as I think we won't be able to find a more talented player. Yes he doesn't score enough goals, but now being in an attacking team, continously being played in the position he wants, I think that will come. Also, is he not the perfect type player for Lambert's system?

I hope I am wrong but 3 Managers who had him exclude PL didn't rate him . He has had one decent season at Man City that's it . I think he has talent but I have seen it on 4 occasions to date at Villa . Antics for me going missing in the rest of the games he has played I see Bannan gets a lot of stick but to me he has had as many good games as Ireland . This bloke is our top wage earner which I agree isn't his fault I expect at least him to be at 6 to 8 goals this season . I can tell you that from within the club the jury is out not about the talent but the desire to do it week in week out . I think the way we play suits him but lets not go all Hollywood over 4 good Villa games in his career . PL is nobody's fool and has started to make his mark with the so called billy big bollox and the cars . I hope Ireland comes good but suspect that even if he has a decent season he will be moved on . We will see

Not a penny more

Not in a regular job as someone earning an extra £400 a week than me doing the same role is nice income boost, but when you're on £15k a week with KEA's rather humble upbringing you accept it as the blessing it is. I don't think KEA would start asking more.

No but if he performs well and another club comes along and says "we'll give you £40k a week, he'd take it if we didn't rase his wages.

As we all would.

I don't want a replacement for him as I think we won't be able to find a more talented player.

This time last year id definately agree, but I wouldnt bet against Lambert!

(Its lovely to be able to write that!)

Better but he still massively owes us . I think PL though won't stand for any of his antics and it's up to Ireland to show a lot more to win PL over .

Yes he has been a lot better in the last 2 games and has a good touch and awareness but 1 goal from an attacking midfield player since he came to the club and how many assists ?. Come on let's get real he is hardly a worldbeater and needs to do a hell of a lot more consistently to win me over . Still maintain he will leave next summer as we won't need him .

What does he owe us for, being frozen out without getting a proper chance? Accepting high wages that we offered to him? I haven't seen one performance from him worth highlighting due to him being the worst player for us. But because of his playing style he's deemed lazy and scapegoated.

What sort of antics are you talking about? I'm genuinly interested because if its the Shisha thing its hardly anything serious considering his next performance was the Chelsea one.

I don't want a replacement for him as I think we won't be able to find a more talented player. Yes he doesn't score enough goals, but now being in an attacking team, continously being played in the position he wants, I think that will come. Also, is he not the perfect type player for Lambert's system?

I hope I am wrong but 3 Managers who had him exclude PL didn't rate him . He has had one decent season at Man City that's it . I think he has talent but I have seen it on 4 occasions to date at Villa . Antics for me going missing in the rest of the games he has played I see Bannan gets a lot of stick but to me he has had as many good games as Ireland . This bloke is our top wage earner which I agree isn't his fault I expect at least him to be at 6 to 8 goals this season . I can tell you that from within the club the jury is out not about the talent but the desire to do it week in week out . I think the way we play suits him but lets not go all Hollywood over 4 good Villa games in his career . PL is nobody's fool and has started to make his mark with the so called billy big bollox and the cars . I hope Ireland comes good but suspect that even if he has a decent season he will be moved on . We will see

Perfect summary of SI there mate.

Â