Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Thankfully Ireland's likely in last chance saloon right now. He has done f*** all in Villa shirt, his performances and application have hardly been impressive.

For what it's worth there's a talented player in there somewhere, but he has only ever shown this on a consistent basis once, in the 2008/2009 season, the rest of his career has either been indifferent or poor.

If he doesn't impress this season I'm sure he'll be out.

He's taken the piss for 2 years on the pitch. How people think he "tries hard" is beyond me.

And yes, he slagged the city off.

there's not a player who does more running all over the pitch than Ireland. That's his biggest problem right now, he's a workhorse and it means he's in our half defending and tracking back far too often

If anything he tries to do too bloody much

Do people close their eyes when Ireland plays? Some of the abuse towards him is insane

Tell me about it. Makes me wonder what sort of players Villa fans like watching. Would they prefer Herd in there because he's "more committed"?

I hope Ireland isn't driven out of the club as he's the most creative player we have. We might not have seen it much in terms of goals and assists but that's not a reason to call him a liability. Look how important Modric was to Spurs, did he get many goals and assists?

I can only assume the Ireland haters stopped watching us under Mcleish which is why they didn't see his MOTM performances.

He's taken the piss for 2 years on the pitch. How people think he "tries hard" is beyond me.

there's not a player who does more running all over the pitch than Ireland. That's his biggest problem right now, he's a workhorse and it means he's in our half defending and tracking back far too often

Isn't that the very thing that prompted the remark about "the empty crisp bag blowing around" that has been attributed to McAllister?

I took that to mean he hasn't the discipline to play where he is told and hasn't the brains to be effective when he goes off-piste.

Isn't that the very thing that prompted the remark about "the empty crisp bag blowing around" that has been attributed to McAllister?

I took that to mean he hasn't the discipline to play where he is told and hasn't the brains to be effective when he goes off-piste.

He is effective though. I don't get what people want from him. If he's so crap what do people expect from him? What's wrong with a hard working midfielder who'll put in more of a shift than anyone else? If the team offers nothing going forward, which we haven't in recent times, do you want him to stand around being as useless as the rest of the attack or do you want him to do the dirty work better than the payers who have that as their actual job?

I hope Ireland isn't driven out of the club as he's the most creative player we have. We might not have seen it much in terms of goals and assists but that's not a reason to call him a liability.

Yes, I hope he isn't driven out of the club. I hope he is used in a position that suits his great ability, and gives everything he has to make a real difference to the team. Given the position he plays, this will be reflected in goals and assists, but you're right that contributions don't need to consist only of those to be worth a place in the team.

He should be able to carve out a place as a crowd favourite, someone who is well respected by players and fans, maybe even one of the greats. In a season where we're short of PL experience and creative playmakers, there are no obvious competitors shouldering him aside. He should expect to be able to show that he deserves a starting place every week, and that he delivers the goods. I'm sure Lambert and everyone else would be delighted if he showed that was his aim.

Is this the same Steven Ireland that won supporters player of the season last season?

Is this the same Steven Ireland that has said he is putting his head down this season and going to work his arse off to prove he is worthy of a new contract?

Is this the same Steven Ireland that has probably been our best player this season?

I think there are many other players which are more worthy of abuse.

He has the potential to be a great player for us, he just needs to start showing it. And in the past 2 League games, he has not.

He didn't play against Everton. Okay he didn't do much against West Ham but there's no point singling him out for it because the same can be said for 10 other players that day.

Its almost as if last season he got a bit of praise because he was undoubtedly our best player, but now we're bottom of the league its easy to start picking on Ireland again.

He didn't play against Everton. Okay he didn't do much against West Ham but there's no point singling him out for it because the same can be said for 10 other players that day.

Ahh yep forgot, Iv'e had 1 too many :P

Its almost as if last season he got a bit of praise because he was undoubtedly our best player, but now we're bottom of the league its easy to start picking on Ireland again.

I would say CNZ has been the biggest disappointment of the season so far tbh.

He floats around and has a couple of good games a season, and now that he needs a new contract, he will perform for the next couple of games!

He doesn't need a new contract. He wants one. He wants to stay at villa and he wants to earn a new deal. I've just can't win can he. If he said he didn't want a new deal people would complain. He comes out and says he wants to continue to work hard and earn a new desk at the club if we want to keep him. There's NOTHING wrong with that

He knows hell take a pay cut in a new deal too. Yet he wants one and people whine

If he's so shit what do people expect him to do? If he's such a bad player, how is he underperforming? If he's no good why are people saying he's not delivering?

Without the right players and right system, what can he do? He can't make incisive passes to players who aren't imaging the right runs. He can't make great runs if nobody can pick the pass to him

Instead he's rolling up his sleeves and doing the job asked of him and required by the performances of our other players. Give him the right balance in his teammates and you'll get the attacking Stephen Ireland we bought. Don't give it to him and you get a player who breaks his balls for the team every game but can't make the most if his skills

Â