Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Fans player of the year means jack shit. Gabby and Bent and even Given played a bigger role IMO.

How can it mean jack shit? The most votes for any player were for Stephen Ireland? Why? Because he was a class above anyone else in that team, and also added hard work to his game.

He has a long way to go for me

He's had £7m in wages out the club and 2 good games so far

He needs to take a pay cut for future harmony within the squad

Why would he need to take a pay cut for future harmony? Surely the same therefore goes for Bent, who does about 20% of the work that Ireland does, which at the moment has the same result Goals/Assists wise.

Very confused as to why you dislike him so much. Usually the sheep that follow into scapegoating, then follow when the vast majority have changed their opinion.

He will shine under Lambert, give him at least half the season to prove it.

You'll be lucky. Some people would still slag him off for a single misplaced pass in a game, even if he ran 80 yards to get the ball back, took on the entire opposition and looped it over the keeper from 30 yards.

He will have until January to earn a new contract

Its up to him to accept the one we give him as we will not be offering him 60k a week thats for sure

Im sure if QPR come in and offer him the wages he desires he will be off

Its up to him to accept the one we give him as we will not be offering him 60k a week thats for sure

Why is that for sure? What do you know that we don't?

Will Bent, Gabby and Given all be asked to accept a new contract on lower wages too or are you just singling out Ireland? Because imo Bent hasn't done an awful lot to deserve his wages too in the current calendar year.

I'd be surprised if he's on over 30k tbh.

I would be surprised if he's on less than 40k. His standing in the game was very high when we took him and you don't sign a player like that; even accounting for the length of the contract; on money like that.

Only because he's not flavour of the month now.

I'm sure if he earns a recall you wont be saying that.

No I don't think that's fair. Giving what was then a 5 year contract on big money to a then 35 year old goalkeeper is bad business whatever way you look at it. We were desperate at the time, having just lost Friedel and Given fair play to him maximised the situation. But it doesn't matter whether he's flavour of the month or not. It was never a good deal for Aston Villa.

Fans player of the year means jack shit. Gabby and Bent and even Given played a bigger role IMO.

How can it mean jack shit? The most votes for any player were for Stephen Ireland? Why? Because he was a class above anyone else in that team, and also added hard work to his game.

Was he bollocks, and neither was Barry when he used to turn up to collect his annual award.

Only because he's not flavour of the month now.

I'm sure if he earns a recall you wont be saying that.

No I don't think that's fair. Giving what was then a 5 year contract on big money to a then 35 year old goalkeeper is bad business whatever way you look at it. We were desperate at the time, having just lost Friedel and Given fair play to him maximised the situation. But it doesn't matter whether he's flavour of the month or not. It was never a good deal for Aston Villa.
I agree with the original poster, he's not flavour of the month.

Â