Stephen Ireland

omariqy

There was a beautiful little interplay with Holman at one point that no other player at Villa would have seen or pulled off. He's perhaps a luxury at times but if KEA, Holman and dare I believe it, Westwood, do the hard work then we should just let him play off the front and do his stuff. Would love to see him and Bent really getting an understanding of each other.

At the match today was in awe of some of his touches on the ball...absolutely amazing, now if only the lad can learn how to finish!

This. Also at the game and that was certainly his best game for us in a Villa shirt.

He looked lively in midweek but today was another class. Completely controlled the midfield and helped put together some immaculate passing moves which had Newcastle literally chasing shadows.

A goal is all he needs now, and his confidence will soar. He was even winning the ball back for us - remarkable!

He didn't have one of his better games today IMO, which is weird as those who get on his case think he played well. Definitely vastly differing definitions of what constitutes a good performance
Same here, to me, one of his staunchest defenders, Ireland seemed as if he was still tired from midweek or something. I thought he put in a good shift and wasn't bad - certainly one of our better performers, as he has been consistently since Chelsea last season - but a lot didn't come off for him and he wasn't as omnipresent as he's seemed in many other games.

To read his critics give him grudging acceptance on the basis of that last game makes me scratch my head.

Much improved from Ireland. He needs to graft like this now each & every game or he will be shown up by the likes of Holmann who is an absolute athlete of a grafter. On another day you'd like to think he'd have buried that chance. Just needed a bit more composure but that should come with games and confidence. Would like to think he's set himself a target of around 10 assists & 8 PL goals this year.

Much improved from Ireland. He needs to graft like this now each & every game or he will be shown up by the likes of Holmann who is an absolute athlete of a grafter. On another day you'd like to think he'd have buried that chance. Just needed a bit more composure but that should come with games and confidence. Would like to think he's set himself a target of around 10 assists & 8 PL goals this year.

The thing is he has been grafting like in yesterday's game for about half a season now. This misconception that he's lazy needs to be put to rest.

The thing is he has been grafting like in yesterday's game for about half a season now. This misconception that he's lazy needs to be put to rest.

This.

This.

And also this.

Was very pleased with him yesterday, the boy has bags of talent.

Grafting or drifting about the pitch like an empty crisp packet ?

He needs to maintain this standard now and convert this good play into something tangible ie. goals and assists

Even under F'ECK he was working hard, tackling back, but now he's being given license to get forward.

Better but he still massively owes us . I think PL though won't stand for any of his antics and it's up to Ireland to show a lot more to win PL over .

Yes he has been a lot better in the last 2 games and has a good touch and awareness but 1 goal from an attacking midfield player since he came to the club and how many assists ?. Come on let's get real he is hardly a worldbeater and needs to do a hell of a lot more consistently to win me over . Still maintain he will leave next summer as we won't need him .

Better but he still massively owes us . I think PL though won't stand for any of his antics and it's up to Ireland to show a lot more to win PL over .

Yes he has been a lot better in the last 2 games and has a good touch and awareness but 1 goal from an attacking midfield player since he came to the club and how many assists ?. Come on let's get real he is hardly a worldbeater and needs to do a hell of a lot more consistently to win me over . Still maintain he will leave next summer as we won't need him .

What does he owe us for, being frozen out without getting a proper chance? Accepting high wages that we offered to him? I haven't seen one performance from him worth highlighting due to him being the worst player for us. But because of his playing style he's deemed lazy and scapegoated.

What sort of antics are you talking about? I'm genuinly interested because if its the Shisha thing its hardly anything serious considering his next performance was the Chelsea one.

I don't want a replacement for him as I think we won't be able to find a more talented player. Yes he doesn't score enough goals, but now being in an attacking team, continously being played in the position he wants, I think that will come. Also, is he not the perfect type player for Lambert's system?

Â