Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Like most of the Villa players over the last couple of years. I have got a little sick of them talking themselves up off the pitch. We're gonna do this, we're gonna do that etc. Don't talk about it. SHOW ME!! Same with Stephen Ireland. I am yet to be convinced but am absolutely prepared to give him the opportunity under THIS Manager.

Let's see what SI can deliver performance wise now he's after a new contract :-)

maybe he can put in the kind of performances that win him player of the season...

oh wait

Robbie Keane deserves that trophy and he only played in 4 games :-)

Better but he still massively owes us . I think PL though won't stand for any of his antics and it's up to Ireland to show a lot more to win PL over .

Yes he has been a lot better in the last 2 games and has a good touch and awareness but 1 goal from an attacking midfield player since he came to the club and how many assists ?. Come on let's get real he is hardly a worldbeater and needs to do a hell of a lot more consistently to win me over . Still maintain he will leave next summer as we won't need him .

What does he owe us for, being frozen out without getting a proper chance? Accepting high wages that we offered to him? I haven't seen one performance from him worth highlighting due to him being the worst player for us. But because of his playing style he's deemed lazy and scapegoated.

What sort of antics are you talking about? I'm genuinly interested because if its the Shisha thing its hardly anything serious considering his next performance was the Chelsea one.

I don't want a replacement for him as I think we won't be able to find a more talented player. Yes he doesn't score enough goals, but now being in an attacking team, continously being played in the position he wants, I think that will come. Also, is he not the perfect type player for Lambert's system?

I hope I am wrong but 3 Managers who had him exclude PL didn't rate him . He has had one decent season at Man City that's it . I think he has talent but I have seen it on 4 occasions to date at Villa . Antics for me going missing in the rest of the games he has played I see Bannan gets a lot of stick but to me he has had as many good games as Ireland . This bloke is our top wage earner which I agree isn't his fault I expect at least him to be at 6 to 8 goals this season . I can tell you that from within the club the jury is out not about the talent but the desire to do it week in week out . I think the way we play suits him but lets not go all Hollywood over 4 good Villa games in his career . PL is nobody's fool and has started to make his mark with the so called billy big bollox and the cars . I hope Ireland comes good but suspect that even if he has a decent season he will be moved on . We will see

Houllier wasn't exactly best at manmanagement and I wouldn't put much faith on who TSM rated and who he didn't.

There are enough examples in footballing world about managers who just dislike some player for some reason no matter how talented or good they are.

Ireland hardly played under Houllier and show me one player under TSM who played well regularly?

I seriously doubt Ireland will be getting a new contract here unless he agrees to have his wages cut by a significant amount.

im sure he knows that. which is why its particularly baffling that him saying he wants a new deal is being used as a stick to beat him

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see what happens in regards to his new contract and his wage. If he's been playing well I imagine other clubs may become interested in him but he seems keen on signing a contract with us but will he take a wage cut? Will he in fact put signing off for a while, but show he is hungry to create an atmosphere where other clubs want him to see if he can get a brilliant deal?

Let's see what SI can deliver performance wise now he's after a new contract :-)

You made me think of Lee Hendry, you need to be punished for that ;-)

Well at least you spelt it wrong so it's not all bad.

Unless he's willing to accept to cut his wages by probably half he should be forked out. Good player but nowhere near good enough to be on the wages (not his fault) that he's on.

Be interesting to see what happens to player's wages in 12 months time when tv revenues go up by 70%.

I seriously doubt Ireland will be getting a new contract here unless he agrees to have his wages cut by a significant amount.

I have it on very good authority that if he performs as well as expected, he will be given a new contract on the same money. We're a lot better off now and can easily afford what he is on and we'd be happy to keep him as one of 3 or 4, shall we say, 'marquee' players.

I have it on very good authority that if he performs as well as expected, he will be given a new contract on the same money. We're a lot better off now and can easily afford what he is on and we'd be happy to keep him as one of 3 or 4, shall we say, 'marquee' players.

Quite right too, he is one of our best players.

Â