Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We reported a loss of what's£54m last yr? We had an astronomical wage bill, plus we have had to pay off numerous managers...so realistically the money may not be there

Who's fault is that ?

If you have a crap team, you'll lose money on and off the pitch. That's down to Randy and his business decisions thus far.

Not that you'll ever make money anyway. When you buy a club like ours you know that from the off. If you have no dream to make it glorious again (which takes a LOT of money) why stick around and watch it flounder ?

Who said anything about fault? You said he hadn't spent the money, which he clearly has...it's also not that eay to sell to a multi billionaire who would put in any more money than Lerner does.

I do think Carroll is some defences worry about due to his height, strength, toughness and aerial threat, and we do need another threatening player, so I would be happy.

I know he isn't the most mobile and seems to switch off when he hasn't got the ball but hopefully, we are looking to have a mobile (If not solid defensively so far maybe) midfield and that should help.

Plus he'd be a help defending and attacking corners.

I can understand what others are saying about the wage bill being sorted out and him being bought could be a disruption to that.

What was the delay over the Vlaar deal then? Can that be categorically attributed to waiting for Collins to leave? I don't know about that.

Firstly we were in America, secondly I heard there were about 5 other players we were looking at as well as Vlaar so maybe it was a case of choosing the right deal.

I admit, if it was a case of waiting until Collins left it's very ordinary. But I don't really think that was the case.

You might be right but to me there seems a few coincidences if not. The fact the player and his club were annoyed, his agent said we had to sell a player, the day we announce we've agreed a fee for Vlaar was the same day Gazton told us collins was off to speak to another club and once he'd had his medical it seemed to take a long time for it to become official, and once again it happened at the same time that the collins deal became offical.

The way that played out hasn't filled me with confidence about the level of investment this summer but theres a chance i'm wrong. Just have to wait and see. My optimism for the summer is certainly dropping though.

There are coincidences, no doubt, but I reckon you're reaching for them rather than them being obviously apparent.

For what it's worth, the bids from West Ham and Sunderland for James Collins had been accepted well before my news. Apparently James had asked for time to think through his options and wanted to go on the US tour in order to continue his preseason training.

My little bit of news, and the timing of it, are more related to the timing of me asking the question than anything else.

Why would it be unacceptable? If the money isn't there then it isn't there.

Well if Randy is broke then surely we should demand that he finds investment or sell up. I can't believe that some fans are happy to just say the money isn't there. Just because it's Randy we're happy to just be a nothing club? Why?

Well if Randy is broke then surely we should demand that he finds investment or sell up. I can't believe that some fans are happy to just say the money isn't there. Just because it's Randy we're happy to just be a nothing club? Why?

Some people want the club to be ran as a self sustaining business. Personally I don't like the thought of the owner chucking loads of his own money in there. It doesn't sit well with me.

Whether Randy and Paul Faulkner will be the people that manage to make us successful as well doing that time will tell.

Thats ridiculous.

So if an owner cannot afford to spend money summer on summer they should just sell up to someone who can, just like that?

What after 2 seasons of the new owner doing that, they cannot afford to do it, sell up again willy nilly?

Fans are obsessed with money, fancy named players and what other teams are doing or not doing. Gone are the days of just enjoying watching your club, supporting your club through whatever.

I've heard it all now, no wonder our fans have got a reputation, currently we would have about a dozen turn up if we played in a lower league all those teams out of the premier league just have it sooooo bad, nobody watches them.

You will struggle to find many people who are willing to throw their own fortune away on a football team, we have been pretty lucky as far as owners are concerned.

Why assume we dont have money ? We sold Young and Downing last year plus weve offloaded a fair few players wages since. AMC Was there to balance the books and now randy has sold the browns... there wont be money available ?

The list goes on.... never mind the fact this is probably the least weve spent in a summer transfer window since Randy took over ? Then theres the fact that Randy would have had to put together a decent package to get ANY sort of decent manager to take over from the horrendous squad AMC built. And then theres the fact that last year AMC said in the paper he would have money to spend in the summer transfer market ?

:rant: rant over.

the premier league are talking about their own version of the FFP rules now too. so the problem with throwing hundreds of millions of pounds into transfers and wages could well turn out to be not only you don't get to play in europe and increase your revenue that way, but you don't get to play in the prem either!

for us to be big time again, we need 5 or 6 years of solid improvement on a sustainable model getting 100% out of all of our playing staff and finishing as high up the table as poss. hopefully that woudl see us have a coupel of runs out in europe too. more prize money from the prem, more bums on seats at VP, TV money from europe too, more merchandise sold....

then the hard part woudl be going from that base to the CL :P

anyway, whining about randy not wanting to just chuck £50m at us every summer is a bit weak.

I do not belive we will ever be a self sustaining business and at the same time achieve any kind of success that we fans will be pleased with. Is there any football club that does that?

Kudos to Newcastle by the way who might have proven me wrong here...

Arsenal are doing ok financially i think? (bar the humongous loan on the Emirates) But they haven't won anything in years. All the other big clubs are in debt up to thier ears and loosing money like crazy.

I don't think the fair play rules will ever effect the biggest clubs, they'll find a way around it. It's clubs like us, Valencia, Mallorca, Everton and so on that will suffer.

The best we can hope for is survival and hopefully under Lambert play some entertaining football

Edit: Ain't i just a ray of sunshine...

So I take it all those perfectly happy with little investment were perfectly happy when doug was in charge and never once held up a pound sign or wanted him to sell the club?

What the hell has Doug got to do with anything, i dont understand why you wheel him out every single time, was football the same then as it is now?

Might as well say because we won the european cup in 82 we should be challenging this year.

You never ever going to be happy.

So I take it all those perfectly happy with little investment were perfectly happy when doug was in charge and never once held up a pound sign or wanted him to sell the club?

Totally different. You are demanding that Lerner spends 30 million of his own money, the pound sign demonstration was due to the Fact that Elllis treated the Clubs money as his own and wouldnt spend it.

Doug Did very nicely out of Aston Villa, He was also paid a large salary to be the Chairman/CEO of the Club!

Randy will support the Club but Bucket loads of cash simply ain't going to happen, imo he is right to run the Club as a business.