Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

Just to clarify: I am not saying this deal is on. Nor am I saying it is off. I've been told we're in for a striker, no names were mentioned; just that it was the sort of signing that my guy is excited by.

However, there is a big clamp down on information coming out of the camp after the Vlaar "exposure" and that's not likely to change.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify: I am not saying this deal is on. Nor am I saying it is off. I've been told we're in for a striker, no names were mentioned; just that it was the sort of signing that my guy is excited by.

However, there is a big clamp down on information coming out of the camp after the Vlaar "exposure" and that's not likely to change.

Fair. I am excited we are in for anyone to be honest.

Naturally if we do end up with carroll then I will happily support him. He isnt my first choice though. Simply because I think he would tap out Lamberts pocketmoney and I would sooner it used for 3 up and coming hungry players than one big one.

They shouldn't have taken him on a stadium tour when fans were doing the same thing. They were asking for trouble. it is a good thing though as you don't want information getting out that may scupper any deal.

Well I can't see us signing anyone til mid next week earliest now due to the Germany break

All seems a bit late in the day now

This is very much how the transfer market seems to operate now, its not just us.

Yeah deals usually get left till the last week or so, But still can't see us getting Carroll..

We dont have the spending power to pull of a deal like Carroll.

Yeah deals usually get left till the last week or so, But still can't see us getting Carroll..

We dont have the spending power to pull of a deal like Carroll.

No matter which way you look at it....you have know idea at all if we do or dont have the spending power. Let's wait and see.

I think the same ^^ For e.g : We havent exactly splashed out yet this transfer window ? Maybe we will be getting another quality striker to partner with Bent.

We seem to have played every game so far under PL with two up front, including playing Zog there, which would indicate that we deffo need reinforcements in that department.

I think the same ^^ For e.g : We havent exactly splashed out yet this transfer window ? Maybe we will be getting another quality striker to partner with Bent.

We seem to have played every game so far under PL with two up front, including playing Zog there, which would indicate that we deffo need reinforcements in that department.

And quality.

I'd take Carroll, I think away from the pressure cooker that is Anfield he could do well though he is allegedly a bit of a rocket polisher which always makes them hard to support fully, for me at least anyway.

And quality.

I'd take Carroll, I think away from the pressure cooker that is Anfield he could do well though he is allegedly a bit of a rocket polisher which always makes them hard to support fully, for me at least anyway.

Sounds better... plus with Lerner selling the browns and us only spending pennys compared to what we usually have done ( Given the last few years and not the AMC reign where we had to balance the books. ) I'd say we could have a bit of dollar left in the kitty...

ALSO i recall AMC saying in the papers that he will be able to 'spend big' in the summer ( Again idk if that was to get the villa fans to want to keep him in his job but it was definitely said )

We didnt have the spending power to pull off a deal like Darren Bent......

The Bent signing was different, that was done to avoid relegation. After spending so long getting the wage bill under control I cant see him sticking somebody else on wages of around 70k pewr week unless we are looking to offload someone like Gabby or Ireland

The Bent signing was different, that was done to avoid relegation. After spending so long getting the wage bill under control I cant see him sticking somebody else on wages of around 70k pewr week unless we are looking to offload someone like Gabby or Ireland

The wage bill was out of control because the majority of the squad were on silly wages. People on the bench were on 50 - 60k. This has been resolved now.

The issue has never been that we can't afford the wages, we just can't afford 6 or 7 players all on that amount and have some not even playing.

If lambert wants a big name, and that name will benefit the squad, improve the team and help take us up the league, then giving that player 70k wont be a problem.

It's about smart business - this does not mean we are skint.

If lambert wants a big name, and that name will benefit the squad, improve the team and help take us up the league, then giving that player 70k wont be a problem.

Do you honestly believe that ?

We didn't sign Bent to avoid relegation. That's absolute bollocks and a myth. We signed him because we needed a striker and had money from Milner sloshing about. The first contact from Villa to Sunderland was way before we signed him. I heard it was August. We weren't in a relegation scrap then.

Villa can afford Andy Carroll or players like that if Randy chooses to. The wage issue is a factor but then so is the need to get back up the league table. They saw how toothless we were when Bent was injured last season and wont want a repeat. Being 8 places further down the table for instance costs us about £7m. That's a real consideration. Never mind the cost of relegation.

Besides, the wage issue has largely been addressed. There is scope for a relatively big contract or two, if it represents good value.

Do you honestly believe that ?

Tell me why I shouldn't