Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

had money from Milner sloshing about.

And we knew Ashley young would be sold.

That's not the situation now though, we haven't sold any big players and bent is the only real big money player we could potentially sell in the future.

It certainly doesn't look like we're in a position to make those kind of signings at the moment.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a case of balancing transfer fees though, just wages. There won't be an indicator. It's all down to whether Randy wants to splash out or not. That could be Man City type spending (unlikely, obviously) or nothing. But there is no indicator.

All we know is that there is a very wealthy man in charge, a new manager to back and we havent spent much so far. Will we spend big? Who knows. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Plus Mcleish said last year about having funds available for the summer. I reckon Dandy Randy has said heres a decent budget for the summer if you join... and PL is finding the bargains while he can... Surely this season so far is one of the lowest we've spent in years ? Even less than AMC ? There has to be more to come.

All we know is that there is a very wealthy man in charge, a new manager to back and we havent spent much so far. Will we spend big? Who knows. Is it possible? Absolutely.

I agree, and IMO it would be unacceptable for Lerner not to back lambert properly this summer. That doesn't mean man city style spending or even the level of spending MoN spent on wages and fees but there should be some significant investment in what is a very average squad.

No one can say either way what will happen this summer but the delay of the Vlaar deal doesn't fill me wth confidence.

What was the delay over the Vlaar deal then? Can that be categorically attributed to waiting for Collins to leave? I don't know about that.

Firstly we were in America, secondly I heard there were about 5 other players we were looking at as well as Vlaar so maybe it was a case of choosing the right deal.

I admit, if it was a case of waiting until Collins left it's very ordinary. But I don't really think that was the case.

Not entirely sure we could rely on Carroll to score in the absence of bent.

I'd be more happy to rely on Carroll than I would to rely on Gabby, Fonz or Weimann.

What was the delay over the Vlaar deal then? Can that be categorically attributed to waiting for Collins to leave? I don't know about that.

Firstly we were in America, secondly I heard there were about 5 other players we were looking at as well as Vlaar so maybe it was a case of choosing the right deal.

I admit, if it was a case of waiting until Collins left it's very ordinary. But I don't really think that was the case.

You might be right but to me there seems a few coincidences if not. The fact the player and his club were annoyed, his agent said we had to sell a player, the day we announce we've agreed a fee for Vlaar was the same day Gazton told us collins was off to speak to another club and once he'd had his medical it seemed to take a long time for it to become official, and once again it happened at the same time that the collins deal became offical.

The way that played out hasn't filled me with confidence about the level of investment this summer but theres a chance i'm wrong. Just have to wait and see. My optimism for the summer is certainly dropping though.

My worry with carroll is that i don't think he'd really want to come for us.

I think he's being forced out of liverpool and wants to go to newcastle. If he came here it might well be a case of coming because he has no other options. I'm not sure he's the sort of person to perform to his potential in this situation.

I honestly don't think Carroll will fit into what PL has been doing over the course of the summer. We only have one player who could possibly give Carroll the service that brings out the best in him and Albrighton's not done it for the past season.

If we're trying to play football with a compact central diamond, I can see how Bent can thrive off that, but how would this bring Carroll's qualities out? Unless he's relying on the fullbacks to hoof it for Carroll to knock down to Bent.

I honestly don't think Carroll will fit into what PL has been doing over the course of the summer. We only have one player who could possibly give Carroll the service that brings out the best in him and Albrighton's not done it for the past season.

Have you ever seen the crosses Bannan can put into the box??

I agree, and IMO it would be unacceptable for Lerner not to back lambert properly this summer. That doesn't mean man city style spending or even the level of spending MoN spent on wages and fees but there should be some significant investment in what is a very average squad.

No one can say either way what will happen this summer but the delay of the Vlaar deal doesn't fill me wth confidence.

Why would it be unacceptable? If the money isn't there then it isn't there. It would only be unacceptable if Lambert signed on the premise that there would be money and Randy lied to him. I'm hoping it's just a case of Lambert wanting to spend his kitty a bit more wisely than previous managers who had felt as they were given a budget they had to spend it all. We just need to be a bit more patient, it seems a lot of clubs are doing their business quite slowly this summer for various reasons.

Why would it be unacceptable? If the money isn't there then it isn't there.

But it is there, sitting in Randy's bank account. As it was last summer too

People don't half make excuses for Randy, he's sold off all our best players and not spent the incoming on replacing them with equal talent

This summer I honestly believed the club had 'saw the light' and realised you can't do that and not go backwards at an alarming rate. Yet here we are still waiting to see some action in the transfer market

We've spent about 4m net at the moment and the squads as thin on genuine quality as ever

Why would it be unacceptable? If the money isn't there then it isn't there.

But it is there, sitting in Randy's bank account. As it was last summer too

People don't half make excuses for Randy, he's sold off all our best players and not spent the incoming on replacing them with equal talent

This summer I honestly believed the club had 'saw the light' and realised you can't do that and not go backwards at an alarming rate. Yet here we are still waiting to see some action in the transfer market

We've spent about 4m net at the moment and the squads as thin on genuine quality as ever

We reported a loss of what's£54m last yr? We had an astronomical wage bill, plus we have had to pay off numerous managers...so realistically the money may not be there

Plus Mcleish said last year about having funds available for the summer. I reckon Dandy Randy has said heres a decent budget for the summer if you join... and PL is finding the bargains while he can... Surely this season so far is one of the lowest we've spent in years ? Even less than AMC ? There has to be more to come.

Agreed

We reported a loss of what's£54m last yr? We had an astronomical wage bill, plus we have had to pay off numerous managers...so realistically the money may not be there

Who's fault is that ?

If you have a crap team, you'll lose money on and off the pitch. That's down to Randy and his business decisions thus far.

Not that you'll ever make money anyway. When you buy a club like ours you know that from the off. If you have no dream to make it glorious again (which takes a LOT of money) why stick around and watch it flounder ?

For the (roughly) £60m we got for Downing, Young and Milner I reckon we must have spent at least £50m on transfer fees alone for Bent, Ireland, Given, N'Zogbia, Makoun and Hutton for combined higher wages than the 3 who left, plus had to pay off 3 managers. Let's face it Randy's line of business is prime for punishment from a recession and he isn't really rich enough to donate £30m net spending every summer like he used to, especially with a divorce on the cards. Anyway this is getting a bit off topic again! I'd quite like Carroll at the club, it would be great to have a marquee signing over the next couple of weeks if Randy's pockets are a bit deeper. Either way I can't see Lambert spending money for the sake of it, he'll bring in who he thinks is right for the team.