Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

These Feyenoord types can stay..

After all, you've enjoyed playing on our pitch in the past...

Shaw, Williams, prepared to venture down the left. There's a good ball in for Tony Morley. Oh, it must be and it is! It's Peter Withe

this mb is for Villans.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this is off topic and this mb is for Villans.

This part of the site is to talk about Villa but all are welcome.

But lets keep this thread on topic please but feel free to start a Dutch football thread in other football guys as I'm quite enjoying your posts.

But this is off topic and this mb is for Villans.

This part of the site is to talk about Villa but all are welcome.

But lets keep this thread on topic please but feel free to start a Dutch football thread in other football guys as I'm quite enjoying your posts.

Yeah would be quite good that, think we have Ajax,PSV and Feyenoord Supporters

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts (Rafa Benitez style)

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

It's quite the contrast if you come up with Albrighton, Clark and Agbonlahor.

Not to get in a heated argument or to baost one academy is indeed bigger than the other but allow me this question: how many Feyenoord academy graduates are currently playing in arguably one of the best leagues in the world?

Barry, Cahill, Sturridge, Agbonlahor, Clark, Albrighton, Weimann, Bannan, Herd, Craig and Gary Gardner to name just a few.

Here is a small list from players in the top leagues in the world (I may have forgotten a few). If you would ask me to make a new list in 5 years...it would be so much longer.

Robin van Persie (Arsenal)

Salomon Kalou (Just joined Lille from Chelsea)

Royston Drenthe (On loan at Everton last season from Real Madrid)

Luc Castaignos (Inter Milan)

Jeffrey Bruma (On loan to HSV from Chelsea)

Glenn Loovens (Real Zaragoza)

Jonathan de Guzman (Just moved on loan to Swansea from Villarreal)

Gerson Magrao (Santos)

Karim Rekik (Manchester City)

Nathan Ake (Chelsea)

Dominic Adiyiah (AC Milan)

Kyle Ebecilio (Arsenal)

Moestafa el Kabir (Cagliari)

Ronnie Stam (Wigan)

Michel Bastos (Olympique Lyon)

Gianni Zuiverloon (Real Mallorca)

Before you were complaining about clubs poaching talents aged 16, now you want to claim people like Kalou and Bastos as Feyenoord products when you signed them from their home countries at 18?

Feyenoord does have a great academy & seems to be producing a lot the last few years, but really we have to wait and see how youth players progress. People like Drenthe & De Guzman had a lot of hype but have not lived up to it yet.

Of your list only Van Persie, Kalou & Bastos are really proven top level players and the latter two are not really Feyenoord products.

the rest are either too early in their career to judge (Castaignos, Ebecilio, Rekik, Ake, Adiyiah, Bruma) or pretty average players on about the same level as Villa products like Craig Gardner or Liam Ridgewell (Zuiverloon, Loovens, Stam).

Switters, I tend to agree with you, but still, may I name one more?

Brett Holman.

Thank you.

That doesn't really mean a lot. UK youth academies are generally very poor and the Next Gen series are an invitational tournament. Feyenoord rejected participation so that our youngsters wouldn't be in the picture as much of UK teams.

We have lost so many players because they cannot sign a contract until they are 16, it's quite ridiculous. In the last 2/3 years we've lost Bruma and Ake to Chelsea, Rekik to Man City, Ebecilio to Arsenal and Van la Parra to Caen. English academies pinch these youngsters so that they are counted as home grown because they cannot teach young kids how to play. They give their parents a cleaning job for 60k a year, pay the kid a few 100.000 a year and only have to compensate us 50/100k.

But still we have 16 of our 27 first team squad from the academy. That is not really boasting...but facts (Rafa Benitez style)

And I wansn't even mentioning recent departures like Castaignos (Inter Milan), Wijnaldum (PSV) and Fer (FC Twente) who left the club a year ago after coming through the ranks.

Not to get in a heated argument or to baost one academy is indeed bigger than the other but allow me this question: how many Feyenoord academy graduates are currently playing in arguably one of the best leagues in the world?

Barry, Cahill, Sturridge, Agbonlahor, Clark, Albrighton, Weimann, Bannan, Herd, Craig and Gary Gardner to name just a few.

Here is a small list from players in the top leagues in the world (I may have forgotten a few). If you would ask me to make a new list in 5 years...it would be so much longer.

Gerson Magrao (Santos)

Nathan Ake (Chelsea)

Kyle Ebecilio (Arsenal)

Ronnie Stam (Wigan)

Before you were complaining about clubs poaching talents aged 16, now you want to claim people like Kalou and Bastos as Feyenoord products when you signed them from their home countries at 18?

Feyenoord does have a great academy & seems to be producing a lot the last few years, but really we have to wait and see how youth players progress. People like Drenthe & De Guzman had a lot of hype but have not lived up to it yet.

Of your list only Van Persie, Kalou & Bastos are really proven top level players and the latter two are not really Feyenoord products.

the rest are either too early in their career to judge (Castaignos, Ebecilio, Rekik, Ake, Adiyiah, Bruma) or pretty average players on about the same level as Villa products like Craig Gardner or Liam Ridgewell (Zuiverloon, Loovens, Stam).

Kalou couldn't sign for Feyenoord before his 18th birthday. He trained with us several months every year in his mid-teens because his brother Bonaventure played for Feyenoord at that time.

Michel Bastos only was with us for 2 years so I agree that he is not homegrown.

@doewap

Brett Holman didn't really feature in the Feyenoord youth teams. He was under contract with Feyenoord but shipped out on loan to Excelsior for several years.

Gerson Magrao (Santos)

Nathan Ake (Chelsea)

Kyle Ebecilio (Arsenal)

Ronnie Stam (Wigan)

Touche!

Gerson Magrao (Santos)

Nathan Ake (Chelsea)

Kyle Ebecilio (Arsenal)

Ronnie Stam (Wigan)

Touche!

All our youth player's are playing for a team in a top league :D.

@doewap

Brett Holman didn't really feature in the Feyenoord youth teams. He was under contract with Feyenoord but shipped out on loan to Excelsior for several years.

Well, Holman played for Excelsior for three or four years. Sure, Feyenoord technical management at that time had its head up its arse and were pleasing themselves by blinking their eyes, but still, in those days Excelsior (2nd division) was considered the Feyenoord Academy's top team.

I'm glad somebody else noticed this.

My point about the Villa players playing in one of the World's finest leagues I think was also conveniently missed. Many of those players from Feyenoord's academy are not playing regularly in the PL and indeed many still aren't achieving their potential; I guess you could say the same for Villa's academy graduates but at least some of them are playing in the PL. In many games last season Villa had five or six Academy/Youth players such as Albrighton, Weimann, Agbonlahor, Clark, Bannan, Gary Gardner, Johnson; then you can add in more recent acquisitions like Herd, Lichaj and Samir Carruthers.

All our youth player's are playing for a team in a top league :D.

Arguably the very best of leagues.

Marc Albrighton for example, and yes a player who divides opinion but look at his stats over 60 appearances 9 goals and 8 assists for a player still very inexperienced.

Apart from Van Pervie how many Feyenoord players have those stats in the PL and furthermore at 22 years of age?

I guess you could say the same for Villa's academy graduates but at least some of them are playing in the PL. In many games last season Villa had five or six Academy/Youth players such as Albrighton, Weimann, Agbonlahor, Clark, Bannan, Gary Gardner, Johnson; then you can add in more recent acquisitions like Herd, Lichaj and Samir Carruthers.

Most of those have played more games than they should due to lack of investment and injury problems over the last 2 years.

I don't think our current crop do much to enhance the clubs youth team reputation. Lets hope the next batch are of a higher quality.